Foot-activated Liftgate Question...

Escape'13

The foot-activated liftgate option that is featured on the new '13 Escape is one of the reasons I am in the process of purchasing one. I am getting a AWD Titanium trim model, and I specifically did not get the Class II Tow Package with my order since I realized that the foot-activated liftgate feature is eliminated from the vehicle if it has it.

My questions is, does anyone know if you are able to add a trailer hitch (such as a Draw-Tite, etc.) afterwards that will still allow the foot-activated liftgate to remain functional? I see, from Draw-Tite's website, that they have a Class II hitch available for the '13 Escape, just not sure if you have to disable (or it becomes disabled) the foot-activated liftgate if you install one.

Thanks!

I just did a little more digging on Draw-Tite's website for the specific trailer hitch and adding a trailer hitch (at least a Draw-Tite) just reduces the area where the liftgate sensors will activate. Good news for those that choose to not get the Tow Package in order to preserve the foot-activated liftgate option!

• Like 1

The tow package has a small cutout of the grey bumper (just the lower section, and you can hardly tell), but i would imagine that becuase of this the sensor is probably not there at all. Not to mention you would kick the hitch trying to activate the liftgate. See below.

hitch.jpg

Edited by davidg716
  • Like 1

I have the Ti with the tow package and don't miss having the kick feature. 2 clicks on the remote or one touch of the button on the hatch and it's opening.

What's this remote you speak of? Oh, that thing I keep in my pocket and never touch again until I hang it up at home. I'm sure that never having the feature you would not miss it but I enjoy not needing a key or remote in my hand to do anything on my vehicle. Although I will be pushing buttons pretty soon as I remote start it from the warmth of my house.

Edited by sculchy
  • Like 1

What's this remote you speak of? Oh, that thing I keep in my pocket and never touch again until I hang it up at home. I'm sure that never having the feature you would not miss it but I enjoy not needing a key or remote in my hand to anything on my vehicle. Although I will be pushing buttons pretty soon as I remote start it from the warmth of my house.

Amen to this! I know I will use the hands-free liftgate very frequently! What a neat feature!

• 3 weeks later...