New Fusion Owner Pics and Impressions

MineralstangGT

Adaptive Cruise is one area where the market has leapfrogged Ford. Newer adaptive cruise systems from other manufacturers handle full stop and go driving with complete braking capabilities and no minimum speeds. They may have been one of the first non-luxury brands to market, but at this point Ford's system sounds primitive in comparison.

Adaptive Cruise is one area where the market has leapfrogged Ford. Newer adaptive cruise systems from other manufacturers handle full stop and go driving with complete braking capabilities and no minimum speeds. They may have been one of the first non-luxury brands to market, but at this point Ford's system sounds primitive in comparison.

For example? An example with video would provide good backup from other manufacturers full stop at any speed systems.

Guest RRF985
For example? An example with video would provide good backup from other manufacturers full stop at any speed systems.

Here is one for you (skip to 1:45):

I took delivery of a Tuxedo Black 2013 Ford Fusion Energi last night.

I had orderer a Sterling Grey but I got tired of waiting. The one I ordered had a build date of 3/27, it finally got built on 4/1 and as of yesterday it was still sitting in Mexico. So I decided to pull the trigger on the Black Energi. This one had been sitting at the dealer lot for about two weeks.

The black car is equipped very similar to the one I had ordered. The differences other than the color, where the all weather floor mats and the cargo net. I'm glad I didn't get the mats beacuse the driver side coverage is very poor and my sales person promissed to get me the cargo net.

So far I really like how the car drives. I took my son to a soccer game today about 28 miles away and I was able to use the Lane Keep Assist, and the Adaptive Cruise Control. I really like these features. Here are a couple of pictures.

attachicon.gifIMG_0908.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0909.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0910.JPG

Regards,

APM

Sharp looking car! I ordered a FFH (not energi) in February and still waiting on it to ship from Mexico. I'm hoping patience and my persistence will pay off in the end!

Here is one for you (skip to 1:45):

I am aware of MB's system, but by what you wrote I assumed there are many mainstream vehicles such as Focus, or Mondeo types that are offering any speed active stop systems.

Actually MB's Pre-Safe Brake system is speed limited

Forward collision warning
Distronic is an adaptive cruise control system that uses a radar sensor mounted on the front bumper to monitor traffic ahead and maintain the driver’s selected following distance. As traffic conditions dictate, the system employs up
to 20 percent of the vehicle’s braking force to maintain the set following distance. The system also provides forward
collision warning functionality. Collision warning is active even when adaptive cruise control is turned off. If the
system detects the risk of a collision, warnings are both auditory and visual (a dashboard icon). If the driver brakes,
the warnings are canceled. Adaptive cruise control is available at speeds of 20 mph or higher and can bring the car to
a stop in traffic. The forward collision warning system is active at speeds of 20 mph or higher.
Distronic Plus, like its predecessor Distronic, provides adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning. It is
functional at speeds of 20 mph and over if no lead vehicle is detected and at speeds of 0-120 mph when a lead vehicle
is detected. Distronic Plus gets additional functionality from two other systems that are available only as part of Distronic Plus: Pre-Safe® Brake and Brake Assist Plus.
Pre-Safe® Brake alerts inattentive drivers when braking is required. If the driver does not respond to the auditory
and visual alerts, the system can trigger partial braking as a warning and eventually trigger full braking to mitigate
an inevitable rear-end collision. Additionally all Pre-Safe® measures are activated at the final stage. The functional
speed range of Pre-Safe® Brake is above 20 mph when following a moving vehicle and 20-45 mph if approaching a
stationary vehicle. The system is enabled and deactivated via instrument panel controls. It will intervene unless the
driver makes a recognized evasive maneuver (e.g., acceleration, release brake pedal, evasive steering).
Brake Assist Plus supports a driver who is braking to avoid a rear-end collision. If the driver does not brake
strongly enough, the system applies the calculated brake pressure needed, up to full braking, without warning
to avoid a collision. The functional speed range of Brake Assist Plus is above 20 mph when following a moving
vehicle and 20-45 mph if approaching a stationary vehicle. Once activated, the system will stay active until the
situation is resolved, even below the 20 mph threshold. Brake Assist Plus is enabled via instrument cluster controls
and deactivated via either instrument panel controls or based upon driver intervention (i.e., acceleration, release
brake pedal, evasive steering).
Edited by MKII

Day two with my FF HyTi.

Tuesday morning I took delivery of my Titanium Hybrid -- oxford white (which has garnered a lot of compliments in the 2 days I've owned it) with driver assist, parking assist, and adaptive cruise control.

No nav because I have 4 different navigation apps on my iPhone and don't really need another one, and no sunroof because it dropped the headliner low enough that the roof literally touched my head when I'm in a comfortable driving position. Too bad, as I would have liked the sunroof and built-in HomeLink.

I've put 120 miles on the car in two days because I've got commute that's 26 miles each way every day. Gas mileage on the first tank is only in the mid-30's so far but I'm not concerned about it because the car is brand new (dealer says they're not fully broken for between 1000 and 3000 miles), and all my driving is highway driving at 70+ mph, which is hard on hybrids because the ICE is running almost all the time. Not too many pure EV miles on weekdays. Running around town on weekends should drive the average mileage up.

I'm loving lane keeping and active cruise control on the long highway drives. It's a little weird to have your car speed up and slow down to maintain safe distance, but once you get used to it it's wicked cool, as they say around here.

Overall, a great purchase, especially at X-plan pricing less $500 consumer cash and the $750 private cash certificate, which my dealer got Ford to honor even though it expired while I was waiting for them to build the car.

The next decision I have to make is whether to replace the buggy-whip antenna with a 3rd party shark fin for a more polished look.

post-49187-0-96443300-1366914859_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest RRF985
I am aware of MB's system, but by what you wrote I assumed there are many mainstream vehicles such as Focus, or Mondeo types that are offering any speed active stop systems.

Oh sorry. I just thought you weren't aware at all. Honestly besides Mercs, I think Volvo may have a system and Inifiniti but I'm not sure. It's definitely not a mainstream system though.

Subaru's system is quite impressive. It uses a camera-based system instead of radar.

http://youtu.be/8MMhN9B1Jos

The 2014 Chevy Impala also has full-speed adaptive cruise. It was scheduled to appear on the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well but seems to have been quietly dropped. It's still listed in the plans for the 2014 Cherokee though.

I like how iSight lets the car stop completely, but their lane assist won't steer the car for you, like the Fusion does! I guess all cars have the areas where they excel and their weak points :)

Going on 2 weeks with my Hybrid Titanium –ordered October 29t,h 2012 -received April 11, 2013

White Platinum tri-coat

Navigation

Driver Assist

Adaptive Cruise Control

Moonroof

Window Tint

Bought using X plan less $1,250 (500 + 750)

So far 35.6 mpg in mixed driving, highway plus a lot of short trips 450 miles total.

Very pleased thus far. The car is amazingly quiet, good acceleration .

Love the adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor and all the other electronic goodies.

The number of settings you can display on the two screens either side of the Speedo is absolutely wonderful. The road manners and driving experience is outstanding!!

I traded in a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid that we loved,got 32-37 MPG on the highway with 255HP on tap, but the around town mileage dropped as low as 21mpg with lots of short trips.

The Fusion on its worst day does not drop below 34mpg around town with all short trips.

And has all the power you need, In short a great automobile!

post-48286-0-03001400-1366927977_thumb.jpg

post-48286-0-17662600-1366928057_thumb.jpg

post-48286-0-28861400-1366928130_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 1

Ordered my Fusion Energi Titanium and can't wait for it to arrive. Said it was built 4/27, but not sure what that might mean in terms of when it arrives at dealiership. Got a Ignot Silver, but looking at the pictures of the White one makes me second guess. I can switch as the dealer also has three White ones coming in at the same time. Anxious to ditch my Prius and drive in a "real" car!

attachicon.gifFusion_1.jpgattachicon.gifFusion_2.jpg

A couple of quick pics I took just to get them posted here.

Some comments quickly:

1 - fit and finish = spectacular. All fender/hood/trunklid gaps are good and even. No rattles or weird noises.

2 - pickup = nice. Very very slight delay when going from a standing start. Very slight impression of the turbo kicking in.

3 - ride = incredibly smooth and quiet.

4 - handling = very good on the highway - responds to inputs as expected.

I'll post a more detailed commentary when I get some time.

Thanks

Looks good. I just ordered a silver and was having doubts about the color after seeing the White one all over the place. How has the color held up? Easily hide dirt? Thanks!

Bought my 2013 SE on 4-8-13. Have a little over 700 miles on it now. Absolutely love this car. Sterling Grey. It has the 1.6L Ecoboost, MFT, and the sport package with spoiler and the 18" wheels. I came from a 02 Escape and I don't miss the SUV at all! :shift:

post-50141-0-27695300-1367552772_thumb.jpg

post-50141-0-54437000-1367552784_thumb.jpg

post-50141-0-17743000-1367552797_thumb.jpg

Bought my 2013 SE on 4-8-13. Have a little over 700 miles on it now. Absolutely love this car. Sterling Grey. It has the 1.6L Ecoboost, MFT, and the sport package with spoiler and the 18" wheels. I came from a 02 Escape and I don't miss the SUV at all! :shift:

What's up with that dealer plate in the front? Does Iowa require front plates? If not, why did the dealer put that on? it looks so much better without it :)

Congrats - great looking car!

We bought my wife's blue Titanium Energi 2 weeks ago (VA requires front plates, dealer tag on there until prior car's plates transferred to this registration), just passed 700 miles and still has 3/8 tank left from picking it up. Is a nice match to my red SE Hybrid on the left, which I got in January (now almost 12k miles since I have the long commute while she drives mostly in town).

Fusions_Apr2013_5_zps1cc9d8f3.jpg

• Like 3

What's up with that dealer plate in the front? Does Iowa require front plates? If not, why did the dealer put that on? it looks so much better without it :)

Congrats - great looking car!

Iowa does require the front plates which I have still not received. This picture was about 15 minutes after I bought the car so I had not taken the fake plates off yet. The car wash did that for me the next morning!!! :drool:

post-49964-0-42731800-1367643366_thumb.jpgpost-49964-0-18248000-1367643627_thumb.jpg

The day I picked it up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Deep Impact Blue

• Moonroof
  • Adaptive Cruise
  • Active Park Assist
  • Voice Navigation System with myFord Touch
  • Driver Assist Package
  • Premium Floor Mats
  • Cargo Net

Date Ordered: 02/09/13

VIN Received: 03/23/13

Build Week: 04/05/13

Actual Build Week: 04/05/13

Delivery Date: 04/23/13

Pickup Date: 04/27/13

• Like 1

20130427_MyFusion.jpg 20130427_MyFusionHyTi.jpg

The day I picked it up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Deep Impact Blue

• Moonroof

• Adaptive Cruise

• Active Park Assist

• Voice Navigation System with myFord Touch

• Driver Assist Package

• Premium Floor Mats

• Cargo Net
Date Ordered: 02/09/13

VIN Received: 03/23/13

Build Week: 04/05/13

Actual Build Week: 04/05/13

Delivery Date: 04/23/13

Pickup Date: 04/27/13

It's my car's twin! Congrats! Keep it shiny:-)

Scott 029 those are very nice looking wheels. If I had seen those I would have gone 18's with those instead of the 19" h-spokes. On Minneapolis streets the 19's might give too harsh of a ride. On Friday I'll finally put the 19's back on and take my winter wheel set off.