The definition of "Emergency" and breaks...

qwertyuiop

I would like to know who on earth would agree to something like this...

On Saturday, LAP B-Crew was scheduled for a mandatory Saturday. Nothing big, just another mandatory OT day.

At 7:18pm, we were notified break, instead of being at 9:00pm, washappening at 7:30pm, because we were low on headliners and the truck was on its way.

Lunch is at midnight.

No member of the union would answer our calls after said "early break announcement" because apparently, they were the ones who agreed to it.

Article X, Section 6, Subsection B, 2nd paragraph says:

"Except in emergencies, an employees' regular lunch period shall not be advanced or delayed by more than one hour unless the employee agrees to such change."

This section, I believe, also extends to regular, defined mass relief.

When did bargaining all of a sudden define "emergency"?? As defined by Merriam-Webster, Emergency is:

"an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action".

RUNNING OUT OF HEADLINERS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY!!! They had known headliners were running low, but ran us anyway. This cancels out "unforeseen", as the company KNEW they were low. The resulting state, downtime, would have happened anyway (we were down for 6 minutes after we came back, which is not nearly enough time for the company to say that there was a disruption in production requiring us to make up the deficiency).

After we came back, we had to run for 4 straight hours before getting our lunch. People (including me) were getting shuffled all around because everyone and their brother had to use the bathroom after 10:00pm and AWOLs were rampant that day. I had to give bathroom breaks on 15 different jobs because the union is such a pushover down here.

What kind of IDIOT bargaining rep would agree to something like this?

Lunch is the 12am break so the rules in the contract don't apply. The 9pm break is just a break, it still does not make it right but in this case the contract rule will not apply. Only ones to blame is the union cause the should in no way have agreed to that.

I'm guessing you are utility, if so being shuffled around is part of that job.

I would like to know who on earth would agree to something like this...

On Saturday, LAP B-Crew was scheduled for a mandatory Saturday. Nothing big, just another mandatory OT day.

At 7:18pm, we were notified break, instead of being at 9:00pm, washappening at 7:30pm, because we were low on headliners and the truck was on its way.

Lunch is at midnight.

No member of the union would answer our calls after said "early break announcement" because apparently, they were the ones who agreed to it.

Article X, Section 6, Subsection B, 2nd paragraph says:

"Except in emergencies, an employees' regular lunch period shall not be advanced or delayed by more than one hour unless the employee agrees to such change."

This section, I believe, also extends to regular, defined mass relief.

When did bargaining all of a sudden define "emergency"?? As defined by Merriam-Webster, Emergency is:

"an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action".

RUNNING OUT OF HEADLINERS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY!!! They had known headliners were running low, but ran us anyway. This cancels out "unforeseen", as the company KNEW they were low. The resulting state, downtime, would have happened anyway (we were down for 6 minutes after we came back, which is not nearly enough time for the company to say that there was a disruption in production requiring us to make up the deficiency).

After we came back, we had to run for 4 straight hours before getting our lunch. People (including me) were getting shuffled all around because everyone and their brother had to use the bathroom after 10:00pm and AWOLs were rampant that day. I had to give bathroom breaks on 15 different jobs because the union is such a pushover down here.

What kind of IDIOT bargaining rep would agree to something like this?

You guys get line breaks?! We are on TAG relief generally has us working 3.5-3.7 hours w/o a break if you are first or last in the rotation of 9.

Wait for that.

As far as EMERGENCY situation goes, they used to pull that shit All the time at DTP get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

You must be new to LAP, that has gone on for years. The company has the right to give you your break 6 minutes an hour if they want to as long as its an hour into the shift. Break is not lunch. We used to be on tag relief at LAP & probably will be again, so better get used to going at least 3 & half hours without a break if you have first or last break. if you have to go to the bathroom & you dont abuse it, thats what your upgrader is for.The union doesnt have to agree to them giving you break early, they can as long as its an hour in. And the above poster is right, utility can be used anywhere in the plant for any reason, thats just part of being utility, always has been.

Edited by 2 seater

Coming from DTP, I know all about tag relief. I don't need to be reminded of it, as I'm quite happy with mass relief now.

I know about the "at least one hour after shift start" and the "at least 1/2 hour after lunch" rules, so no need to school me on those, either. Nor do I need coaching on utility... I have been with the company long enough to know what I am getting into before I bid for something.

What on earth I cannot understand is WHY the union would allow something like this to happen. Being at Dearborn for 3 years, we never, and I repeat, NEVER, went on break more than one hour early, even on tag relief, when something happened causing the whole plant to shut down. It is ludicrous to think this happens "all the time," because it doesn't. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong, plain and simple.

All I was wondering was why the union would allow something that they know not a single person in the membership would agree to. That is what I am puzzled by.