Lousy Sirius Sound Quality

ticobird

Why is the Sirius audio quality so poor in my new 2013 Ford Escape? It is obvious when I switch between FM, CD, USB and Sirius that the Sirius is the worst sounding of all sources. The sound seems like there is no dynamic range and either there is way too much compression going on or there is a problem with the satellite or there is a problem with the Escape. On some channels like the 50's channel it sounds like there is a swishing or almost underwater sound quality. Sometimes it seems to go away for a while but it always comes back. Like I said previously, to a discerning ear and my ears have seen a lot of use, the difference in sound quality is obvious when changing between sources.

I'm not trying to show disrespect for the Sirius.product. I like the canned/cataloged variety and find it useful and entertaining depending on my mood. I find it so entertaining that I would sign up to continue the subscription after the first free 6 months, that is if the sound quality was not so poor.

So, has anyone looked into this problem and if so what have you found? I will continue my search for a solution/explanation and post back here later but I'm not sure how long it will take.

For what it's worth, I've found plenty on the internet about this problem so I don't think it is related to Ford's 2013 Escape equipment. Here are a few samples:

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthread.php?5179-Sound-Quality

and

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1388846/sirius-or-xm-sound-quality-and-future-enhancments/30

According to these other posts on the internet it seems like this has been going on for some time now.

Simple - it's a combination of compression and poor quality source material. Most of the 50s, 60s and 70s stuff just wasn't recorded very well to begin with. Add compression on top of it and it can sound pretty lousy. They need the compression to get all the channels out there so unless they cut back on channels or add a new satellite the compression will continue.

After one renewal I dropped Sirius. The cost went through the roof and paying $165 a year for some oldies stations wasn't worth it. plus when the leaves were on the trees the signal cut out on anything other than a main road or highway. They have been sending a $25 renewals for more than a year. I might renew for $50 a year but not at the $175 they want now. Traffic and weather add another $110.00 a year.

Edited by rscalzo

With some negotiation I was able to get them down to about 135 a year with travel link. They will not sell lifetime subs on vehicles with travel link.

You are right about the audio quality though. Its pretty bad. I only keep the subscription on my wife's car, not mine. I cannot listen to it.

I can't use the Travel link feature. I really have no use for a lot of the other sports channels. If they came out with a music only and some other channels for around $70 or so i might pick it up. But as it's useless in the spring to fall is many areas I'm not going to bother. I don't have enough long trips to warrant it.