3.5.1 and Samsung S3 Text Messaging

PajamaGuy

Prior to 3.5.1 (installed by dealer yesterday) my S3 did text messaging just fine. It sometimes would not receive multiple messages, but it read & sent them. Using the voice command, "Messages" took me to messaging. :stats:

Now when I use the voice command, "Messages", the nice lady tells me my phone doesn't have that feature. BUT - If I say, "Read message 1" it does read it. Seems that all messaging functions work except the initial, 'Messages" command.

Other than that, and the guidance still freezes when "Intelligent 4WD" is on the system messages display, I'm not finding any issues with MFT/SYNC. :work:

Prior to 3.5.1 (installed by dealer yesterday) my S3 did text messaging just fine. It sometimes would not receive multiple messages, but it read & sent them. Using the voice command, "Messages" took me to messaging. :stats:

Now when I use the voice command, "Messages", the nice lady tells me my phone doesn't have that feature. BUT - If I say, "Read message 1" it does read it. Seems that all messaging functions work except the initial, 'Messages" command.

Other than that, and the guidance still freezes when "Intelligent 4WD" is on the system messages display, I'm not finding any issues with MFT/SYNC. :work:

Did you delete the phone and re-pair it? I would try that if you haven't.

• 4 months later...

I had the same issue you describe. Using Sync 3.5.1 (4.29.12285) with a Samsung Galaxy SIII (Adroid 4.1.1).

Received the error message "the currently selected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth".

Here are the steps that I used to get it working...

1. Turn off Bluetooth on the S3

2. If the vehicle is on, wait for the phone to be disconnected from the vehicle

3. If not already on, turn on the vehicle ignition

4. Turn on Bluetooth on the S3

5. As soon as Sync is paired, the phone will have a security request that I only found by accessing the pull down menu

6. Pull down the menu on the S3 and it will indicate there is a Map Request, do you want to allow Sync access

7. Select the Enable checkbox to not be reminded again and press OK

8. To test it, dial *DATA# on your phone and wait for a text to arrive

9. When the text arrives, the vehicle will play an alert and indicate a message is available

10. Press OK to Listen

11. Voila!!!

The main issue is that the Map Request occurs when the phone is paired and you need to allow Sync permission to access the phone text messaging before the request disappears.

I hope this helps others.

Received the error message "the currently selected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth".

If you now do not get the above response when you issue the voice command, "Messages" - you've found an answer to the issue. If you still get the above response, but your message system works, you've duplicated what I've found (and what I posted above.)

The error message reported by Sync is a bit misleading as it implies the phone does not support the capability, but the real issue is that the phone permission settings do not allow it.

I no longer receive the message "the currently selected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth" and the process that was outlined in post #6 is what was followed. The main issue is that the Map Request occurs when the phone is first paired and you need to allow Sync permission to access the phone text messaging before the request disappears. Look for that message in your S3 pull down menu to give Sync permission to access your text messages.

good luck.