Comments on Titanium handling

TurboTi

For the second time, I took the Fusion up on this pretty tight mountain road near my house. Only this time, the road was wet, and covered with wet leaves. I was going at about a 7/10's pace. How'd it do? Very good for that long and heavy a car with all-season rubber.

I didn't shut off the traction control, and I don't think the stability control can be shut off. On some corners, I would be ready to accelerate and I put my foot back in it at the apex, but it seemed the car would pause for half a second until the computers determined I was pointed safely straight. By then I was already through the corner, and the boost would come on, and off I'd go. Body motion is well controlled and the ride seems just right to me. When these tires wear out, I will probably put some max performance summer rubber on, though. These tires (Continental Contiprocontact M+S)have too many sipes and voids in the tread blocks for my taste.

Anyone know how to shut off the stability control? The hands of safety are gripping a little too tightly.

I'll not comment on turning off the nanny.........but I'd rate the handling of the Fusion high. Funny is it reminds me on my old B5.5. Passat. Same kind of "supple on the highway, but very nicely controlled when pushed". Even my wife noticed - her first impression was "wow, how Teutonic" :lol:

I can see why most of the car mags have called it the best handling mid-sized sedan they've driven.

I will lend my input to this thread in that I agree with the comments and praise heaped on the car thus far. It has met or exceeded my expectations continually since I picked her up and I have to say, my only issues thus far have been driver induced...in that the driver is not yet sure of just how good this thing is and so he holds back just a bit. Slowly exploring the limits though...with a big smile on my face each time I do. :D

Honestly the tires are going to hold the car back the most when it comes to handling. I've been careful to not throw the car around too much as I'm used to a different dynamic with my last car. I will slowly push the limits though and see how well it does. It's just hard for me because this is a much bigger car than I'm used to.

• Like 1