2013 FFH first imressions

ghent360

So we finally got our FFH and decided to go on a road trip to test how it drives. Overall we drove a little above 600 miles for two and a half days. Overall MPG is 38.4. Weather was good around 50-55 degrees outside. Three people in the car combined around 500 pounds. City/Hwy around 40/60%.

MPG observations: I got monster MPGs in LA traffic - if you drive in LA this is the car for you - I'm sure you can do north of 50 MPG. Highway speeds kill your MPG real fast. Driving 80mph you can get 30-32MPG but no more. With cruise control set to 70mph, you can probably get 35-38MPG, but I did not use that because I wanted to keep changing the revs on the engine (break-in and all).

Tings I liked the most:

• the handling of the car is very good, cornering is very controlled. It's not sporty due to lack of horse power, but is handles great. You can drive 90mph without noticing, except your MPGs going down really fast.
  • my favorite feature was to display the nav on the right control cluster display. It was much easier to read and it also displays the current speed limit, which I find very handy.
  • The seats are very comfortable. I'm on the plus size and the seats on my Jag are made for humans with different rear end size. My wife's Acura is a bit better, but the Fusion beats both by a large distance.

Things I got annoyed by:

• The turn indicators need some getting used to. There is a soft click and a hard click, but I kept confusing the two. A few times I did a hard click when changing lanes on the highway, then a few seconds later I noticed my signal was still on, clicked in the other direction so "shut it", which turned the opposite signal on - I recon the guy behind me got really confused.
  • The nav screen is somehow blurry. I'm guessing this is because of the touch panel they have on top, but it's really annoying the graphics look very high def and somehow out of focus. Same for the rear view camera.
  • The MTF system needs a joystick. I would dare an engineer from Ford to try and pan the map around - it's the most frustrating experience on earth. It's not unique to MFT, the nav on my Jag is the same way. The touch panel is not sensitive enough to do a good drag motion. On my wife's Acura they have this little joystick you can drag a cursor around the map, then click and say "just drive me to here" - it save us so many times when the system located an address incorrectly or when we don't have an exact street number. We tried the same on the MFT, but just moving the map around was a mission impossible.

No pictures yet - we got the car really dirty, so it needs some TLC.

Edited by ghent360

• my favorite feature was to display the nav on the right control cluster display. It was much easier to read and it also displays the current speed limit, which I find very handy.

I'd have to agree, small feature but it's really nice - I also like the push okay to repeat the last command.

• The turn indicators need some getting used to. There is a soft click and a hard click, but I kept confusing the two. A few times I did a hard click when changing lanes on the highway, then a few seconds later I noticed my signal was still on, clicked in the other direction so "shut it", which turned the opposite signal on - I recon the guy behind me got really confused.

Yeah, took me about a week - now it's fine. I've always been okay with the 3 blinks, that's the way all the German car I've driven work.......always assumed this was from Europe where they actually comprehend & practice lane discipline = 3 blinks is enough. Last ten years I've had all windows one touch up/down = guess I've used to push a little for X, push harder for Y functionality.

• The nav screen is somehow blurry. I'm guessing this is because of the touch panel they have on top, but it's really annoying the graphics look very high def and somehow out of focus. Same for the rear view camera.

New prescription? :lol: Mine is fine, not HD but it's fine. The backup camera is certainly a low res camera......I mean it's meant to avoid large objects such a cars, not really for reading.

Edited by Bailey151

Yeah, the back up camera is alright. As you said, lower resolution. It's not bad though. I find if the lens is really clean, it's pretty nice. And works well at night too.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car so far. Definitely do post some photos when you get'r all cleaned up!

This mirrors my experience almost exactly. My screen is very clear, however. I haven't done much with the navigation and haven't tried to pan the map. I have had trouble with Sync understanding my address and city imputs. I was able to put most of my favorite songs on a $12 flash drive from Target over the weekend. I've never had them accessable from one source before (I've been way behind the times). I'll probably spend a lot of quality time out in the garage just listening to them in my FFH.