Remote Start - AC

Camride

I love the remote start, but I'm not quite as enamored with the auto AC settings. It seems like it either blasts full heat or full AC, and I'm still not sure what the cutoff is. It's been ~50*F outside and it was blowing AC when I got in the car, a most unwelcome surprise. It definitely kicks the heat on in the low 40's, but otherwise it's just been blowing cold air. At this point I'm about to leave it on last setting and just get into the habit of paying attention to what the weather will be like the next time I'll be driving the car...

Anyone else having a similar experience?

I saw something the other day about a setup which tells the climate control system what to do after a remote start. So the last setting may not hold through a remote start. I'll research in my PDF manual and see if the information is easy to reference.

TerryBlauser

Look at page 129 of the manual for automatic settings of the climate control system response to remote start.

Good luck.

Edited by terryblauser

As Terry said - you'll need to navigate through the menu and check/change the settings - it sounds like someone either set it to "Last setting" or some other weird combination. Had this in my Edge and now in the Fusion and it always seemed to do a pretty good job at doing something relatively appropriate to the combination of inside and exterior temps.

As Terry said - you'll need to navigate through the menu and check/change the settings - it sounds like someone either set it to "Last setting" or some other weird combination. Had this in my Edge and now in the Fusion and it always seemed to do a pretty good job at doing something relatively appropriate to the combination of inside and exterior temps.

The only options are auto or last setting. I've had it on auto and it's been either full AC or full heat, nothing in between. Until it gets really cold I'm leaving it on last setting and just trying to remember to set it before I get out of the car. It's just not consistently getting the temp in the car right on auto. Besides the AC I have everything else (like seats and defrost) set to auto except the pass seat heat, which I have turned off as I rarely have passengers in my car.

Hmm. Maybe leave it on Auto for the remote start setting - and make sure when you turn off the car you've set the climate control to Auto on the panel before turning the engine off ??

That's what I always do - and I don't recall having this situation - but I'll have to do a double check. If the behavior is odd I'll post back.

Hmm. Maybe leave it on Auto for the remote start setting - and make sure when you turn off the car you've set the climate control to Auto on the panel before turning the engine off ??

That's what I always do - and I don't recall having this situation - but I'll have to do a double check. If the behavior is odd I'll post back.

That's exactly what I've tried. I've left it on last setting the last 2 days and I'm liking the results a lot better. I'll probably put it back on auto once it's warm again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just drove my new Fusion Titanium home today. It was in the mid-30's today, and my car was blowing cold A/C air when the remote start climate control setting is set to auto...not exactly what I would expect. We're supposed to get some snow/ice tonight, so I set it to last setting and turned all the settings to heat/defrost...hopefully that does the trick for tomorrow and until I can figure out what "auto" really means...

Just drove my new Fusion Titanium home today. It was in the mid-30's today, and my car was blowing cold A/C air when the remote start climate control setting is set to auto...not exactly what I would expect. We're supposed to get some snow/ice tonight, so I set it to last setting and turned all the settings to heat/defrost...hopefully that does the trick for tomorrow and until I can figure out what "auto" really means...

Something is wrong there....probably software related if it starts heating when in auto mode after you hit the push button start to drive the car.

Auto should determine what the outside temperature is and heat or cool accordingly.

I have heard of other Fusion owners on here reporting the same issue.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Could it be blowing cold air because the engine hasn't warmed up yet? Perhaps when the engine has some heat it will start to blow warm air into the cabin.

Yeah, this is what I suspect. No warm air to blow if the engine isn't hot. Even with 5-10 minutes idling, in freezing temps the engine won't be warm enough for hot air.

Unless the A/C indicator is lit, this is what I suspect is going on.

Yeah, this is what I suspect. No warm air to blow if the engine isn't hot. Even with 5-10 minutes idling, in freezing temps the engine won't be warm enough for hot air.

Unless the A/C indicator is lit, this is what I suspect is going on.

I'll have to run it through a few scenarios and see what my results are. I'm not sure if the A/C indicator was lit, but last night when I remote started it and it was blasting cold air, as soon as I got in a pressed the start button and the system fully started, it started blowing hot air. So I suspect it was actually running A/C, because there was warm air available.

I'll have to run it through a few scenarios and see what my results are. I'm not sure if the A/C indicator was lit, but last night when I remote started it and it was blasting cold air, as soon as I got in a pressed the start button and the system fully started, it started blowing hot air. So I suspect it was actually running A/C, because there was warm air available.

I have had the exact same experience. The temps haven't gotten that cold, but with a 45* outside temp I would expect the heat to be on, not AC. Same thing happened, as soon as I hit start it went to the last settings and immediately started blowing hot air.

What version of Sync are you on? I wonder if this is something fixed in the update, as I'm still on 3.2.2. I haven't had time to get down to the dealership to get it updated yet.

When the auto climate control determines the heater core has warmed up enough to put out heat, it will then ramp up the fan, not before as long as you don't have the fan setting overridden. In "AUTO" mode when remote starting, it is full AUTO, no fan override, so the same applies and this is how it works on all Ford vehicles so it's not something special just on the Fusion. I could only see this occuring if you selected "use last settings" in the remote start configuration and you had previously overriden the fan.

It's simple, if you are expreiencing this problem where it's blowing out cold air when in AUTO mode and the exterior temperature is cold, whether in remote start mode or not, there is something wrong.

It has nothing to do with A/C on or off either.....your A/C compressor will run in the winter down to about 38 degrees to help defrost or eliminate the windows from fogging up.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I have had the exact same experience. The temps haven't gotten that cold, but with a 45* outside temp I would expect the heat to be on, not AC. Same thing happened, as soon as I hit start it went to the last settings and immediately started blowing hot air.

What version of Sync are you on? I wonder if this is something fixed in the update, as I'm still on 3.2.2. I haven't had time to get down to the dealership to get it updated yet.

Has nothing to do with Sync/MyFord Touch either. The climate controller has it's own modules, MyFord touch is simply a user interface to adjust temperatures, etc, but doesn't run the logic of the HVAC.

Has nothing to do with Sync/MyFord Touch either. The climate controller has it's own modules, MyFord touch is simply a user interface to adjust temperatures, etc, but doesn't run the logic of the HVAC.

Good to know, I wasn't sure if it was all tied into the same module or not.

I'll do some more testing and see if I actually have a problem or not. Because I wasn't able to initially get it to work right I ended up putting it at last setting so I don't freeze my butt off.

• 4 months later...