1.6 Mileage - EPA vs Real World

CheesyRider

1.6 Mileage real world vs. EPA  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are the EPA mileage figures accurate in the real world for the 1.6?

• I have an automatic and I get above EPA
    • I have an automatic and I get about the same as EPA
    • I have an automatic and I get below EPA
    • I have a manual and I get above EPA
    • I have a manual and I get about the same as EPA
    • I have a manual and I get below EPA

Fuel economy continues to climb for my car. It looks like I'll probably average over 35 mpg for an entire tank with my next fill up. High temps have been mostly in the 30s around here. Once warmer weather gets here, even with a switch to 19" wheels, I won't be surprised if I see over 37 mpg for an an entire tank. I'm still perplexed as to why the auto trans Fusions aren't doing better.

Fuel economy continues to climb for my car. It looks like I'll probably average over 35 mpg for an entire tank with my next fill up. High temps have been mostly in the 30s around here. Once warmer weather gets here, even with a switch to 19" wheels, I won't be surprised if I see over 37 mpg for an an entire tank. I'm still perplexed as to why the auto trans Fusions aren't doing better.

Thanks for the update! Makes me more certain a 1.6 manual will be my choice when I order in a few months. Hope you are still enjoying it too! Summer will bring time for some twisty driving!

Love my manual!

This best trip, I was not hypermiling, not dogging it, but driving 65-75 mph on a non-Interstate 4-lane (US 460) and some Virginia back country twisties. It includes two short stops with the engine idling. Ambient temp about 30F.

Hand calculated mileage is very close to the trip computer. Overall hand calculated average is 33.27 mpg.

Ambienttemp30F_zps43433dbf.png

Very odd that the manual does so much better. Ratios do differ and I guess manual drivers may be better drivers in general in regards to not flying up to a stop sign and slamming the brakes. Will be interested to see some long-term numbers for the autos and manuals.

Very odd that the manual does so much better. Ratios do differ and I guess manual drivers may be better drivers in general in regards to not flying up to a stop sign and slamming the brakes. Will be interested to see some long-term numbers for the autos and manuals.

I tend to keep my manual Gti in neutral as I get close to a light or I know I'm going to stop/slow down significantly. I don't think the automatic transmission can do that, so it's less efficient.

I just filled up yesterday. I thought I was going to get my first 35mpg tank, but some downtown Minneapolis driving caused it to fall to 34.3. When I filled up my estimated range was about 560 miles. Eat your heart out hybrids!

img5601n.jpg

This was with about 80% highway, 20% city. Morning commute temp mostly low 20s with afternoon commute temp in low to mid 30s.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My Current Tank:

After 93 miles, never below the speed limit over the Bay Bridge and around DC beltway:

post-49720-0-53320700-1370575857_thumb.jpg

After 300 miles I have dropped to ONLY 40.5 as I did some city driving, will get pictures towards the end of the tank.

What's this about bad mileage on the 1.6? That third pedal does wonders!

You can see my lifetime average in my signature.

Edited by gazingwa
  • Like 2