Diesel Plug-in Hybrid the Ideal?

medwilk

I just saw this article, which, in the process of reviewing the C-Max Energi, dismisses diesel engines as a long-term technology for cars. http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/c-max-energi-moves-plug-in-hybrid-technology-forward-1.4431737

I wonder, though, if he is missing something - why not a diesel plug-in hybrid? One of the knocks on the C-Max is that it underperforms on long-distance highway travel, which, if I understand correctly, is where a diesel engine excels. So it seems to me that if you want to maximize fuel efficiency with current technology a diesel plug-in hybrid is your best-case scenario.

Has anyone heard of a manufacturer (like Ford) moving in this direction? I know diesel is still big in Europe. Are there diesel hybrids sold elsewhere?

Volvo is building a diesel hybrid in one of their wagon models, the V60, I was hoping it would come here.

However, there's several problems with that idea: in the US, diesel fuel is a good bit more expensive than gas, plus a diesel engine costs a bit more than a gas engine. So people look at the up front costs and ignore the long-term efficiencies, and the vehicle doesn't sell.

The other problem is technical. I think the biggest reason the C-Max Hybrid is underperforming the EPA right now is beause it's winter, and a cold engine isn't as efficient as a warm one. This effect is stronger is a diesel, which does it's best when it gets nice and hot inside. And when you run a diesel in a hybrid, the hybrid systems are keeping the engine from running constantly, which keeps it from getting hot.

• 3 months later...

I concur with Mike B's comments. I had a 2009 Jetta diesel that got great fuel mileage (wll over 40 mpg) on long highway runs but less good mileage in start-stop driving and even less good mileage in start-stop driving in cold weather. I wished for a hybrid version to get some of the energy wasted in braking back in start-stop driving. I realize now that that might not be such a good idea because of the cold weather/cold engine problem unless additional measures (and expense) were taken to promote rapid ICE warm-up and keep the ICE warm when off.

And these days, why do diesel engines cost significantly more than gas engines?

--Ian