'12 Focus Titanium Michelin Tires

GaryG

A friend of mine owns a '12 Focus Titanium and it needs tires at 15,000 miles. He took it to the dealer and they said Michelin was replacing those tires for free. He said he has to put in a claim and the dealer would order the tire replacement. Can anyone confirm this about those 18" tires?

A friend of mine owns a '12 Focus Titanium and it needs tires at 15,000 miles. He took it to the dealer and they said Michelin was replacing those tires for free. He said he has to put in a claim and the dealer would order the tire replacement. Can anyone confirm this about those 18" tires?

That's crazy...

That's crazy...

Now I think the dealer was trying to rip him off. The tires were not that bad and the dealer just wanted to sell a set of tires. The dealer came back with just a 15% adjustment on the old tires which was just a scam. It all sounded good for free tires, but the bottom line was a sales pitch. Once he agreed to take the "free" tires, he was agreeing the tires needed changing to the dealer. When the dealer gave him the price to change the OEM tires with 15,000 miles, he knew it was a scam.

I wasn't involved with my friend's taking his Focus to the dealer I didn't recommend, but I posted the strange behavior with the dealer and the tires. Thanks for the responses, but my question was answered by my friend this morning. Maybe my friend will use the dealership I recommended when he bought the Focus. I recommended my SA I've used for over 20 years also, is worth driving 5 miles longer. My SA is Glenda Edwards at Mullinax Ford in Lake Park, Florida, She is the best I've ever used, and is always straight with me.

Just before we got rid of our 2012 Focus I found out that my Conti back tires were wore out and would not pass inspection. The front tires were 1/32 from being junk also.. We had 13,000 miles on them,and they had been rotated 3,000 miles, 8,000 miles and finally at 13,000, which we traded it in. Continental wanted to give us a 50% replacement costs on all 4 tires.

Edited by fordtion

My Michelins went 18K but where getting very slipperly in the rain. Replaced them with Bridgestone RE970as all-season tires. So far, they are quieter and I can't tell any drop-off in handling, but I don't drive that aggressively.

Up to 500 miles on the Bridgestones, including 200-mile interstate trip this weekend. I certainly don't want to rip the Michelins, but the Bridgestones "feel" more stable and are quieter. They really have changed the dynamics of my car. That, however, is a subjective thing, but for me a positive May just be the cold weather factor and summer tires.

• 3 months later...

I took my '12 Focus Ti in for the second tire rotation at 10000 miles and was told by the dealer I need tires. I'm nearly to the wear bar. I told the dealer I was shocked to hear that because I had 10863 miles on the car and rotated them at 5000 and then now. After thinking about it, I wrote Michelin a letter explaining who upset I was to hear I needed tires after only having the car 10 months. They told me to go back to my dealer and have the dealer file a claim with Michelin. I'm waiting for a response back from my dealer as to the results of the claim.