1 Week... 3 Problems

Christoph_C

As some of you know, I took ownership of a new 2013 Fusion over the weekend (1.6 Manual).

I hate to even admit this to myself, but the car is off to a bad start. 3 problems that I know of already. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen or heard about these issues (particularly #3):

1) The gas tank issue discussed in nearby threads and 2) wind noise, left side (not from the "big" driver side window) from 40-55 MPH.

3) This one is most concerning: In idle, and when barely giving the car gas, I hear a high pitch flutter from the dash area. I haven't narrowed down the pattern more than that yet. But, if describing the sound... it sounds electronic and not mechanical. It is not a "rattle". I'm concerned it's something electrical. A short or grounding. It's pretty inconsistent too. When sitting at a light the sound may come and go 3 or 4 times for example.

Anyone seen or heard about any similar issues - particularly #3?

Edited by Christoph_C

Is the sounds you're hearing coming from the speakers? Or from inside the dash? Can you only hear it when the radio is off?

Oh and regarding #2, check your door moulding between the back of the driver's front and front of driver's rear door. Someone already posted a thread where their rubber moulding wasn't attached properly.

Edited by boogs

As some of you know, I took ownership of a new 2013 Fusion over the weekend (1.6 Manual).

I hate to even admit this to myself, but the car is off to a bad start. 3 problems that I know of already. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen or heard about these issues (particularly #3):

1) The gas tank issue discussed in nearby threads and 2) wind noise, left side (not from the "big" driver side window) from 40-55 MPH.

3) This one is most concerning: In idle, and when barely giving the car gas, I hear a high pitch flutter from the dash area. I haven't narrowed down the pattern more than that yet. But, if describing the sound... it sounds electronic and not mechanical. It is not a "rattle". I'm concerned it's something electrical. A short or grounding. It's pretty inconsistent too. When sitting at a light the sound may come and go 3 or 4 times for example.

Anyone seen or heard about any similar issues - particularly #3?

Do you have the automatic climate control turned on by chance? If so, could it be the diverters moving in the ductwork that are redirecting the air? I know on mine when I have the climate control set to auto it will more or less randomly change where the air is moving. It's never a noise that is loud enough to hear when you're moving, but when idling it is noticable. This is about the only 'normal' sound I can think of that I've heard from the dash area that I was initially concerned about.

I have noticed that the engine 'flutters' occasionally when idle. if I watch the tach needle, it sometimes moves 100 RPM up or down from the idle position. I have not been too concerned, but am planning to check with the dealer when I take it in to have them look at the condensation that keeps appearing in my trunk.

(I have the 2.0 engine)

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the molding you mentioned, boogs. It almost has to be something like that as the main window seems to be quiet.

As for the dash sound, I've turned everything off when trying to pinpoint it (including all climate controls and the radio). I really can't quite locate exact sound location as its inside the dash.... seems to be behind the speedometer to the left?

And yep, I've heard that flutter too Morcelu... Totally forgot about that. In fact, at first I thought that was the dash sound. And, I've not ruled out they're related. But after the car warms up, the flutter sound from the engine area goes away, but the dash thing doesn't.

You know how if you aren't picking up a radio station well or there's a storm and you give a car gas, a lot of times (through the speakers) you'll hear the interference come through the speakers? Well, this is almost like that, only with something electronic behind the dash (and the radio is off). Really wouldn't be a big deal if I had faith my dealer could figure it out and fix it.

Regarding window noise: I test drove two Fusions before driving the one I bought. The first one had window noise all around, very disconcerting. The second was quieter, but still had some noise. The one I bought is whisper quiet. I was told by others here that the odds were good that the moldings on the first were just not seated properly, and now we have evidence that this is happening on some cars. So I hope that is all it is with yours.

I'm just over 3000 miles and I think I'm starting to notice something with how my 2.0L is shifting....

When my car is shifting out of low gears I really feel the car lurch, but it's about the same amount I felt on my old 2002 Nissan Xterra. So I'm not sure if it's a normal thing I should be feeling or if shifting should be super smooth to the point where I don't feel anything.

I'm sure I'm just overreacting....but anyone have a thought?

Thanks elle. I am thinking the wind noise should be the easiest of the 3 to fix.

deadman - I test drove a 2.0. Thought it was very smooth, so I doubt that's normal. Could just be a computer setting. I had a Lexus a few years back that would jerk the fool out of you in 1st or 2nd. They went in and reset something on the computer, and it took care of it.

I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment for tomorrow morning. I don't like not knowing. Just drove it at lunch.... between the wind noise, flutter sound at low RPM, and the chirp behind the dash I am going crazy. Just hoping the local Ford service place doesn't try to pull the ol' "I don't hear anything" routine. I dealt with that lie on a previous Ford (throwout bearing) years ago until Ford issued a TSB bulletin on it.

Edited by Christoph_C
  • Like 1

Thanks elle. I am thinking the wind noise should be the easiest of the 3 to fix.

deadman - I test drove a 2.0. Thought it was very smooth, so I doubt that's normal. Could just be a computer setting. I had a Lexus a few years back that would jerk the fool out of you in 1st or 2nd. They went in and reset something on the computer, and it took care of it.

I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment for tomorrow morning. I don't like not knowing. Just drove it at lunch.... between the wind noise, flutter sound at low RPM, and the chirp behind the dash I am going crazy. Just hoping the local Ford service place doesn't try to pull the ol' "I don't hear anything" routine. I dealt with that lie on a previous Ford (throwout bearing) years ago until Ford issued a TSB bulletin on it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm making a list for when I take it in at 5000 and have them check everything.

• Like 1

Just to add to the noise topic. I was hearing a rattling from the passenger side of my car, I could not tell where it was coming from. Then, I thought I heard it from the passenger side back seat area. Today, I hear the same damn noise from my drivers door.

I found the noise. It is the small black plastic panel (behind the door pull) that was rattling. Apparently, the plastic clips that hold the small panel on were Grinded down to allow from easier installation, so there is not a tight fit. I checked all four and they were all grinded down. I tacked with a lil super glue and the noise is gone.

Ahhhh.......... the joys of owning a new model car, but I enjoy the challenge.

Chris1970 -

Just to add to the noise topic. I was hearing a rattling from the passenger side of my car, I could not tell where it was coming from. Then, I thought I heard it from the passenger side back seat area. Today, I hear the same damn noise from my drivers door.

I found the noise. It is the small black plastic panel (behind the door pull) that was rattling. Apparently, the plastic clips that hold the small panel on were Grinded down to allow from easier installation, so there is not a tight fit. I checked all four and they were all grinded down. I tacked with a lil super glue and the noise is gone.

I had the EXACT same problem. The dealer claimed they heard nothing, so i took them for a drive and right away they suddenly heard the issue. There werent going to do anything about it until I really got mad, so they stuck some putty behind the little plastic piece and the issue has gone away.

I also have #2 wind noise from my drivers side window. Not sure where. It starts around 45+ mph and sometimes is not as noticable, i think depends on the angle of the car. Its very annoying.

I also have a bluetooth issue where everyone says its like i am in a wind tunnel when i connect the phone to bluetooth. Have tried an iphone and windows phone, same issue with both so its not handset related.

Oh and 18.5 mpg average over 4k miles. LOVING this car so far lol.

• Like 1

Chris1970 -

I had the EXACT same problem. The dealer claimed they heard nothing, so i took them for a drive and right away they suddenly heard the issue. There werent going to do anything about it until I really got mad, so they stuck some putty behind the little plastic piece and the issue has gone away.

I also have #2 wind noise from my drivers side window. Not sure where. It starts around 45+ mph and sometimes is not as noticable, i think depends on the angle of the car. Its very annoying.

I also have a bluetooth issue where everyone says its like i am in a wind tunnel when i connect the phone to bluetooth. Have tried an iphone and windows phone, same issue with both so its not handset related.

Oh and 18.5 mpg average over 4k miles. LOVING this car so far lol.

The v3.5.1 update to MyFordTouch is supposed to help fix the wind-tunnel like sound quality when making calls over bluetooth. I'd look into having the dealer do it, or doing it yourself (goto www.syncmyride.com) if you haven't already.

I can understand your frustration on the low fuel economy. Lots of others on this board have been complaining about it as well. I haven't had any issues with my car gas mileage wise, though, so it really makes me wonder why mine is doing just fine (between 23 and 24mpg over 2k miles, mostly city driving) and everyone else is having issues...

Sorry... just realized that yours isn't a hybrid.

Anyway, I'm leaving the comment for hybrid readers who aren't aware of the active noise cancellation built into the car.

I'm not sure if this addresses your weird noise fluttering problem, but I read a story several months ago about how calibrating the hybrid engine for low speeds caused the engine to emit a low-frequency hum. The workaround to that problem was to install active noise cancellation technology in the car, i.e., small mics and speakers to emit a reverse sound to cancel out the low-frequency hum.

Here's a link to a story about it:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37160

Maybe it's a noise cancellation problem?

Edited by Barsoom

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

There's no longer a rhyme or reason to the sound. Comes and goes as it pleases at any speed and any RPM. Sounds like a cricket. Uggh.

Ah yes... the joys of owning a first year model. I had a 94 Mustang (new model)... nothing ever major went wrong, but like a dripping faucet... one annoyance after another. Owned the same "model" Mustang - a 98. No problems whatsoever. You'd think I'd learn. I need to get Chris1970's mindset and just accept this as a challenge. If the dealer tells me he can't hear anything, which they love to do when they don't want to research the fix, I'm gonna flip.

A couple new things tonight. The CD ejected on its own. With the radio turned off and me driving down the road. Yeah.

Then, I had the car parked in 1st gear, sitting in a friends driveway which has a slight incline. Granted, I didn't have the parking brake on, but I've still never had one do this before... it began to slip and roll down the driveway. I hit the brake, checked again that it was indeed stuck in 1st gear, and then I just sat there. And it did it again a minute later. I've owned 5 manuals now, and I've never had one do that before. Is that normal?

Edited by Christoph_C

I'm just over 3000 miles and I think I'm starting to notice something with how my 2.0L is shifting....

When my car is shifting out of low gears I really feel the car lurch, but it's about the same amount I felt on my old 2002 Nissan Xterra. So I'm not sure if it's a normal thing I should be feeling or if shifting should be super smooth to the point where I don't feel anything.

I'm sure I'm just overreacting....but anyone have a thought?

Hmmm.......that's pretty subjective. Do I notice it? Yes. Would I consider it a "jerk" or "lurch"? No. Pretty much like a normal auto. I've had to adjust to the slowness of an auto - came from a computer shifted manual (very, very fast).

Go to the dealer & drive another one? See if it's the same?

Hmmm.......that's pretty subjective. Do I notice it? Yes. Would I consider it a "jerk" or "lurch"? No. Pretty much like a normal auto. I've had to adjust to the slowness of an auto - came from a computer shifted manual (very, very fast).

Go to the dealer & drive another one? See if it's the same?

I've noticed it too. It's especially noticeable when going through stop signs in residential areas. For whatever reason, the trans wants to go down to 1st gear for that second or so and that's where I see the 'lurch' coming from. I'd understand that behavior if you were hard on the throttle, but if you're easy I'd think it could hold 2nd for you no problem. I've just adjusted my driving habits to 'roll' the stops the right way, so as to keep the trans in 2nd and avoid that pretty much unnecessary shift down into 1st.

I've just adjusted my driving habits to 'roll' the stops the right way, so as to keep the trans in 2nd and avoid that pretty much unnecessary shift down into 1st.

I got burned for rolling through a stop sign in a mall parking lot .. so be careful if you do this near stop signs :)

I got burned for rolling through a stop sign in a mall parking lot .. so be careful if you do this near stop signs :)

Of all places to get burned for something so silly...when there are so many other people in the same lot driving like idiots. :doh: The heads up is appreciated, but obviously I need to toe the line between truly rolling the stop and doing what's legally required, erring on the legal side of things. :)

That shifting to first at a low speed when nearing a stop is exactly what my Lexus was doing. And, just like neod, it ended up costing me a ticket as I babied it through a stop sign trying to keep it in 2nd. Anyway, as I said the dealer fixed it pretty easily by resetting something on the computer. They said the computer makes incorrect adjustments at times.

Took my car in this morning. When I arrived... fluttering away. Service advisor heard it and was like "whoa". But of course by the time the mechanic came over it had stopped. Started saying that's how it's supposed to sound. I said I know, because it's not doing it now. Anyway, left it, told them to let it get cold and fire it up. It should do it, Lord knows it sure has for me.

Also said they couldn't get to the wind noise today, as the roads are awful here today. That excuse I can actually live with.

A couple new things tonight. The CD ejected on its own. With the radio turned off and me driving down the road. Yeah.

I haven't used the CD player......but I did have it get stuck once. Started the car up & it said something about ejecting the disk, then no disk found. Display was frozen until I hit the eject button about 6 times. Has not happened since. I have also had it re-boot once with the message "performing maintenance".

It does continue to go to the USB input on startup - about once every 10 starts. Gremlins - honest I did not feed them after midnight (no water either).

Not the 1st tranny I've had that gets a bit "lost" between 1st & 2nd. It's the up/down/up = lost. Another approach is to hold the stop & a stop sign until it finds it's way to first. Note - I have not had this happen to me.............maybe it's just the way I roll............(or 4 years with a DSG tranny, which has a steep user learning curve)

Edited by Bailey151

Ah well... got the car back today. Dealer said car didn't make a sound after the original service advisor heard it with me yesterday morning. They tried 3 times they said. I even went for a ride with the mechanic today when I picked it up. Sure enough, not a peep. They didn't work on the wind noise due to road conditions and I didn't want to leave it 'till Monday. So, at this point, the car is taunting me.

Anyway, removed the front licence plate today, and finished stocking up on all my washes and waxes. Cheered me up a bit. May take a day off from work this week (if it will just warm up a bit) to winterize...

My clutch pedal is making some noise when I upshift. It's a buzzy rattle that happens near the top of the clutch travel. If I take my foot off the clutch pedal it goes away, but the next time I shift I hear it when I am letting the clutch out. At first I thought it was the speaker in the driver's door making noise, but then I noticed it when using the clutch.

I also have this weird thing that happens with the sound of the radio. Sometimes it sounds very washed out, almost monotone. I also hear that weird high-pitched sound sometimes when listening to the satellite radio -- you know the sound when you are streaming something other the internet and it doesn't quite have enough bandwidth so the sound quality goes down. Both of these issues come and go, so part of it could be how the signal is being picked up (in an area with weak signal, interference with CB radios, etc).

Edited by chargercrazy