Noisy engine with hybrid

Powered By Fusion

I just picked up my Fusion Hybrid Titanium and sometimes when I'm just sitting idling the engine will come on if its been a while...i assume thats normal..like if its been sitting for several minutes...or when i push on the accelerator sometimes to start moving the car i can hear the engine. What bothers me is the sound the engine is making. Is it sort of loud to you guys even when you're in the car. It's silent when it's in electric mode..but the times the engine turns on you can really hear it and its like this loudish groan or something. I don't know if I can compare it to anything..I may ask to test drive one of the other hybrids on the lot despite having mine,,im just worried my engine may be bad already? or maybe it sounds like all of your hybrids.

Normal.

Most of the time your engine will not be on at all when idling. Hence the silence.

An Atkinson cycle engine coupled to a CVT will always seem waaaay different than any conventional ICE car you've driven.

Edited by Scooter80
  • Like 1

When sitting the ICE will come on if the HVAC system requires heat in the coolant to heat the cabin or if the HVB gets too low and the ICE needs to charge it

The engine does drone a bit because of the CVT and seems to have a high pitched sound. I attribute that to the engine design being so different from a conventional vehicle

• Like 1

When sitting the ICE will come on if the HVAC system requires heat in the coolant to heat the cabin or if the HVB gets too low and the ICE needs to charge it

The engine does drone a bit because of the CVT and seems to have a high pitched sound. I attribute that to the engine design being so different from a conventional vehicle

Yes, this is pretty much typically behaviour. Nothing to be overly concerned about, unless you notice extraordinarily low fuel economy.