Dual exhaust tip change

svtenthusiast

We just got one in that has a different exhaust tip (this was on a 2.0L SEL, but don't think trim makes a difference).

It has the non-rolled, cut at a 45 degree angle tip, looks less premium and a cost cutting measure.

Also, probably to cut down on people complaing about the "dirty" exhaust tips (carbon buildup, which is typical of a DI engine), since the "pipe in pipe" comes farther out than the bottom cut portion of the bright tip, thus letting the carbon and water clear it and hit the ground and not the tip.

Don't know why they would make this change so late in the 13 model year instead of a 14 change and end up pissing off customers that like the look of the old "rolled" tips.

Yea, meant to take a picture but forgot.

Also, probably to cut down on people complaing about the "dirty" exhaust tips (carbon buildup, which is typical of a DI engine), since the "pipe in pipe" comes farther out than the bottom cut portion of the bright tip, thus letting the carbon and water clear it and hit the ground and not the tip.

Yup, that's the reason. People are supposedly bringing in their Ecoboost engines thinking that it's not running properly because there's black particles on their exhaust tip. What can you say - it's a DI engine, it's going to have particles flowing through the exhaust. I haven't seen them in person yet, but from what I've heard, it should match the "DNA" of the Edge and Explorer's angled tips.

As for not rolling it out for MY2014, my guess is they wanted to get this change done ASAP, and they probably wanted it done a few months ago, but it took this long to get it done. Though if they had left it for a MY2014, they could write it off as "updated styling" or something, so it doesn't seem like it's a boo boo that's being fixed.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to follow-up with this post and share the pics requested in late April. I noticed this on our Titanium we bought two weeks ago. The tips were different and I was trying to figure out what's going on. From the back view they look good, but look cheap from the sides or close up.

post-50347-0-05126700-1370392243_thumb.jpg

post-50347-0-72259500-1370392243_thumb.jpg

Ours only gets the little black drip if it's been on the interstate. The rest of the time it drops behind the roll and out the drain hole. I don't like the big black splotch on the muffler from it's drain. Thinking about painting the whole muffler black.