Roof mounted antenna

Bearcats98

There are two antennas in the roof mount. One in the base, the other is the wire and pointy ugly bit. People have been replacing the pointy bit with a shark fin and not having significant drops in the AM/FM. I believe those are the only radios on that portion.

Is this a do-it-all antenna? Meaning AM/FM/HD/Sat/Nav all go through this antenna?

I am looking at tint and would love to have the price break of being able to utilize metallic versus ceramic tint.

Yes, it is a do-it-all antenna (in 2 parts, base plus buggy-whip, as shaggy said). There is no antenna in the windshield or rear window.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a do-it-all antenna (in 2 parts, base plus buggy-whip, as shaggy said). There is no antenna in the windshield or rear window.

Thanks. Can save some money by NOT being required to do ceramic. Thats a plus. Now to decide how dark....

And also I will be replacing the whip with a fin. :)

OK, could be. All I know is that Visual Garage told me the shark fin would not affect my GPS reception. I assumed that meant the base of the antenna on the roof was the GPS antenna. Of course, if it's not, then they weren't lying, because putting the fin on wouldn't affect reception of the nubby on the dashboard. :)

GPS is in the car somewhere - I have problems with it finding my car when I have my front tinted windows rolled up - once rolled down the GPS finds the car again

You didn't tint the windshield, right? I plan on tinting my front side windows, but can't have it interfere with anything ...

GPS is in the car somewhere - I have problems with it finding my car when I have my front tinted windows rolled up - once rolled down the GPS finds the car again

I covered the nubby on the dash with the silvered envelope my Fastrak transponder came with, to block the signal when going through tollgates with a carpool full. This did not affect my GPS reception at all.

I really doubt that nubby is the GPS antenna. In fact, I think the GPS antenna is in the base on the roof. Can anyone who really knows please confirm?