Car wash + Titanium Wheels = Gouges

schield

A few weeks ago I got my first rim ding on the front driver side. I didn't think much of it, another vehicle probably kicked up a rock or something. Then about a week ago I got another one, same wheel, same spot. Then today when I went through the car wash it dawned on me. As I got home and inspected the rim I noticed another gouge.

What I believe is happening is that the tire guide in the car wash is coming in contact with rim. Even though the tires have the curb protectors the rims are still being gouged.

I believe there is another car wash in the area that has the laser sensors, so there is not a wheel guide.

The paint on the wheels comes off very easily. I wish there was a slightly taller wheel on the market that fit the 19" wheels because I would definitely upgrade to them.

Just a warning to everyone to watch out for the wheel guides in the car wash. Another option is to hit the guide with the inside of the wheel instead of the outside. This sure makes a good looking wheel look like crap in no time.

Edited by schield
  • Like 1

I noticed the same thing on my driver's front wheel. There are four almost exact marks about four inches or so long around the wheel. I thought my wife hit a curb but there are no marks on the rear wheel. She used one of the older car washes where only the driver side front wheel gets locked into place. Mystery solved.