Fuel Pump Noise After Turning Off Vehicle

gl419

I have noticed that after I shut down the car for the night and come back the next day, the Battery level seems much lower than when I shut down, like there is a drain on the system somewhere. Well today I noticed a humming noise from the rear of the car after getting out. I got down on the ground at the rear of the car and it is coming from in front of the muffler and rear axle. I assume it is the fuel pump continuing to run after shutdown. It goes on for a good 5 minutes before stopping. Any ideas if this is really what is happening and WHY?

Mine does the same thing, but not always... I don't know that it is the fuel pump, as it may instead be a cooling fan for the HVB? My first hybrid was a Prius and that thing had so many clicks and whirrs and such when just sitting there, it was like the Lost In Space robot was living in the garage - so unless I get some check-engine light or other indication of a problem, I don't pay it much mind. I've also sometimes had the HVB lower when I got back into the car, but also had it higher the next time I got into the car, so the system has a mind of its own I guess.

Edited by jeff_h

I have noticed that after I shut down the car for the night and come back the next day, the Battery level seems much lower than when I shut down, like there is a drain on the system somewhere. Well today I noticed a humming noise from the rear of the car after getting out. I got down on the ground at the rear of the car and it is coming from in front of the muffler and rear axle. I assume it is the fuel pump continuing to run after shutdown. It goes on for a good 5 minutes before stopping. Any ideas if this is really what is happening and WHY?

It's likely the cooling fan for the HVB. Other users on the Fusion Hybrid Forum have noted that sometimes their battery SOC increases between turning off and starting the car the next day. I've never paid enough attention to my battery SOC when turning off the car to notice that.

I'm sure your probably right. The cooling system for the HVB. That makes much more sense than the fuel pump. It doesn't always run, just like jeff_h says his does. I'm still getting used to all of the new noises and nuances of my first Hybrid. Question answered. Its fantastic to have a forum like this to answer our questions.