HD Radio not working!

inkblot

Hi folks.

When I first picked my '13 Fusion, HD Radio worked fine. All the entertainment system did. For the last few weeks, though, I haven't been able to tune in HD Radio channels. I get regular radio stations, with no HD logo. Sirius still works. Just no HD lock whatsoever.

Has anyone run in to this? Any ideas? So far, I've tried reboots and even a master reset. No luck.

I have scheduled my visit for the fuel pump recall yet, and if I can't figure something out I'll have the dealer look at it.

Is it something you have to turn on? Maybe you accidentally turned off the HD radio feature. I haven't taken delivery of my Fusion yet so I don't know for sure. My buddy just bought a new Sonota and it was a setting he had to select to listen to HD stations. Hope I helped.

Edited by Jimcgov3

Hi folks.

When I first picked my '13 Fusion, HD Radio worked fine. All the entertainment system did. For the last few weeks, though, I haven't been able to tune in HD Radio channels. I get regular radio stations, with no HD logo. Sirius still works. Just no HD lock whatsoever.

Has anyone run in to this? Any ideas? So far, I've tried reboots and even a master reset. No luck.

Yes, I'm having the same issue on my 13 FFH TI NRG. I tune my local HD all news station and the HD has a very hard time acquiring. When I first got the car, it worked perfectly, but now, 4 weeks later, the HD repeatedly tries to acquire, and sometimes does, but then can lose and perhaps re-aquire again. This is not a fringe signal and does not coorelate to running under bridges or any other topograhpical feature that may obscure the signal.

Even worse, yesterday, Sync locked up completely. I had the radio on, tried to select a destination on navigation ahd Sync froze. The radio stayed on and Sync would not respond to any button presses or activate voice control. I pulled over and stopped the car. The radio did not shut off when I opened the door!. Totally frozen. I was heading for an appointment so I continued on with everything locked up and in a few minutes, the Sync logo appeared along with a notification that the system was performing scheduled maintenance with a progress bar. When the maintenance completed, everything returned to normal (still hard acquiring HD) but I could not activate voice control. Voice control now intermittently fails to respond to the button on the steering wheel. I have to turn off the radio to get the voice control to respond to the button press.

I have yet to try a master reset. Could somebody post a link?

Thanks

So I ran the reset from Outofmytouch.com and now the HD locks in right away. I don't THINK the two are related, but it's a heck of a coincidence. Same station, no problems on either the commute in or out. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I've tried that reboot procedure too, a few times now (I had a freebie usb drive laying around, I now keep that on it, in my glove box).

Sadly, no change for me. Unlike http though, I haven't been getting any lock at all in weeks. Even direct tuning to an hd station fails.

Ah well, I'm working out an appointment with the dealer for the recall soon anyhow.

I had a few issues with the MFT system. On a long trip, I was streaming Bluetooth and the whole system locked up, I could not do anything until it rebooted by itself (said it was running a maintenance cycle or something). Then I had where I got static for a few of my radio stations (they do run in HD, but were static in either mode). I did do a factory reset and had to re-setup everything, but so far working fine.

Quick update: My car is at the dealer right now. Like many others, I won't be getting a new fuel pump today, but they did check it and have a new one on order. Haven't given me a date yet, but since many have been told September, I'll expect that too.

But the other news is, they say the HD Radio is working again. All the advisor could tell me, is they had to 'reprogram it.' To my ear, sounds like they probably reflashed the firmware on it. Since reboots and master resets hadn't done it, that sounds like the next logical escalation.

So, just waiting for the courtesy shuttle to come nab me, and I'll get to see how my baby is doing soon.

Well, poop. While they did apparently reset my system in some way (I had to readd my phone, reprogram a lot of settings, etc.), it had no affect on the radio. I can still listen to normal stations, but can't tune any HD Radio stations. This is quite frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's been awhile, but finally good news! I finally fixed my problem.

Went to Ford's new support.ford.com, and found the latest owner's manual for our '13 Fusion. I know, I got a pretty printed on in my car, but the website is on the 3rd edition and I was curious if they ever updated the bit which says the info display ought to show power distribution in the AWD system.*

Welp, as I was scrolling through it, I came across the fuse box diagrams. The internal fuse box has two for the radio:

• 32: 10amp, GPS, Voice Control, Display, Adaptive Cruise Control, Radio Freq. Receiver
  • 33: 20amp, Radio, Active Noise Control.

So, I crawled under my front dash, drivers side...got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up in there (stick your head up past the brake pedal, that's where you gotta go to see the fuse box), and managed to yank those two fuses. One at a time, pull, wait 5 seconds, reseat. Then extracted myself, sat upright and turned the car on.

The whole radio had reset (although I didn't lose my presets, so that's nice)...and was suddenly tuning HD again! Woo-hoo!

A quick check indicated GPS and Voice Control still work fine...I expect adaptive cruise will be fine too.

So, not much of an adventure, but if anyone else has this issue, hope this helps.

* Looks like they have.

I got my HD Radio back by pulling fuses also. I have 2013 Escape, fuse box is under the glove box, and I pulled three (3) fuses - #67: 7.5A, SYNC, display, GPS, etc.; #79: 15A, Radio, nav, DVD, touch screen, etc.; and #81: 5A, Radio frequency receiver. I sat and watched the system reset without starting the vehicle, and when it was done rebooting, started vehicle and HD was back!!

• 2 weeks later...
So, it's been awhile, but finally good news! I finally fixed my problem.

Went to Ford's new support.ford.com, and found the latest owner's manual for our '13 Fusion. I know, I got a pretty printed on in my car, but the website is on the 3rd edition and I was curious if they ever updated the bit which says the info display ought to show power distribution in the AWD system.*

Welp, as I was scrolling through it, I came across the fuse box diagrams. The internal fuse box has two for the radio:

• 32: 10amp, GPS, Voice Control, Display, Adaptive Cruise Control, Radio Freq. Receiver
  • 33: 20amp, Radio, Active Noise Control.

So, I crawled under my front dash, drivers side...got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up in there (stick your head up past the brake pedal, that's where you gotta go to see the fuse box), and managed to yank those two fuses. One at a time, pull, wait 5 seconds, reseat. Then extracted myself, sat upright and turned the car on.

The whole radio had reset (although I didn't lose my presets, so that's nice)...and was suddenly tuning HD again! Woo-hoo!

A quick check indicated GPS and Voice Control still work fine...I expect adaptive cruise will be fine too.

So, not much of an adventure, but if anyone else has this issue, hope this helps.

* Looks like they have.[/quote

Thanks so much for the info!!!!!

Fix my HD radio this weekend by pulling breakers as outlined above.

Just hope it lasts.

Ford couldn't do this for me.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

This looks like my solution, inkblot! I have been trying to fix this same problem that has persisted past a master reset and then firmware update. I'll try your solution as soon as I get off work, but I'm sure it's going to be the one.

My problem manifested itself after I took my antenna off to go through a car wash (just in case). The HD Radio stations that had been coming in just fine before never did come back. I registered to thank you for the method you discovered.