Capless Fuel Fillers

great idea- but while theyre at it, fix the fill/vent issue that seems to randomly occur on some vehicles...my mustangs first 2 tanks burped gas all over, two different stations, so it wasnt 'the pump'...heard the guys on the f150 line cant even fill at the factory without difficulty.

I have a feeling the primary benifit of this new Ford capless system is reduced evaporative emissions since the driver does not open the cap and vent the tank to atmosphere, the fuel nozzle only opens the filler long enough to fill the tank so very little vapor is released.

And the driver does not have to be responsable for making sure the cap is fully secure so the evaporative emission system works properly which means the "loose gas cap" light can be eliminated from the instrument panel now.

American car companies have always had inovative cool ideas and little details like these. I remember my 1971 Mustang Mach-1 351C ram-air had what was called the "rim blow" steering wheel. There was a small rubber ring imbeded around the entire inner diameter of the steering wheel that activated the horn. The idea was in an emergency the driver didn't have to move one hand from the rim of the steering wheel to blow the horn, you simply squeezed anywhere on the rim of the wheel and the horn sounded. Right, it took about a week to learn how to drive the car without accidentally blowing the horn on every turn.

That same '71 Mustang had the "quick release" fuel cap. You simply pushed a lever at the top of the fuel cap and it hinged open at the bottom, to close just push it until the latch clicked. No twist off cap. Of course those were pre-emission control days so the system was simple but the idea was the same as Ford's (new) capless fuel system. The cap on that "71 Mustang was styled after the quick release fuel caps some race cars of that era had and was made in machined aluminum with fake rivets around the edge, it looked cool but the system was not secure or very safe.

Ford has had many original ideas through the years that are now being copied, remember the convertable hard top Fords of the fifties?