Just ordered a 2014 Escape SE w/AWD and I have some ?'s

pwt13

So my company decided to pull all of our snow belt cars (AWD Fusions) early and had us order 2014 AWD Escape SE's with the 1.6 and no upgrades. While I am thankful for the free car, I am concerned that the Escape is going to be louder and and not drive as smoothly as my Fusion does, not to mention the lack of amenties, specifically the heated seats. I am also concerned about the significant difference in power between the two, since I typically have a pretty full load on board and I do a lot rural driving ( hill, mountains etc...). Since I don't have a choice or say in what they provide, I haven't test drove one either and probably won't go out my way to do so until mine comes in.

Anyway, I hoping I am just over thinking things and that'll I'll really love it...so my ?'s are:

I ordered about a week ago, does anyone know long they are currently taking, OTD?

Relatively speaking,how the ride compared to the Fusion (same or better would great)?

How's the road noise compared to the Fusion (again same or better would fine)?

Thanks to all who reply!

Hi pwt13. I might be able to answer some of your questions, however they are all based on my own personal assessment with no scientific backing. I have driven both the Fusion and the Escape recently. I found them both to be very competent vehicles. It is hard to compare the two since one is a small CUV and the other a mid-size car. I found the ride in the Escape to be very comfortable over a 200 mile journey. The Fusion was a bit more comfortable in the seat, but I found it to be a bit cramped in the side to side area (between the door and center console). In addition I found the brake pedal in the Fusion to be awkward. It appeared to be slightly higher than the accelerator causing me to significantly raise my foot to get it on the brake pedal.

The driving characteristics are quite different, but the responsiveness of the steering was comparable between the two. Overall, I don't think you will have any problems with Escape, except for the seat heater.

I didn't really notice the road noise in either vehicle being exceptional and I drove both highway and surface streets.

Not sure if I really helped or not, but that is my $.02

Hi pwt13. I might be able to answer some of your questions, however they are all based on my own personal assessment with no scientific backing. I have driven both the Fusion and the Escape recently. I found them both to be very competent vehicles. It is hard to compare the two since one is a small CUV and the other a mid-size car. I found the ride in the Escape to be very comfortable over a 200 mile journey. The Fusion was a bit more comfortable in the seat, but I found it to be a bit cramped in the side to side area (between the door and center console). In addition I found the brake pedal in the Fusion to be awkward. It appeared to be slightly higher than the accelerator causing me to significantly raise my foot to get it on the brake pedal.

The driving characteristics are quite different, but the responsiveness of the steering was comparable between the two. Overall, I don't think you will have any problems with Escape, except for the seat heater.

I didn't really notice the road noise in either vehicle being exceptional and I drove both highway and surface streets.

Not sure if I really helped or not, but that is my $.02

Thanks for the reply and that's very reassuring to hear that your experience with the Escape was positive.

In addition I found the brake pedal in the Fusion to be awkward. It appeared to be slightly higher than the accelerator causing me to significantly raise my foot to get it on the brake pedal.

Does the Fusion come with adjustable pedals? Maybe the brake pedal was adjusted all the way forward.

Not sure what motor you had in your fusion but I've driven the bare bones 2013 Fusion and the hybrid at work and will say that my Escape (2.0 AWD Titanium) drives just as well if not better with weight in it. At work I usually have 2-3 people in the car and the base model felt sluggish while the hybrid was nice but wasn't pleasant on bumps or rough NYC roads. Probably due to the weight of the hybrid system. I'm just hoping you escape has nice seats because I love the leather sport seats in my Escape but have never been in a lower model escape

Does the Fusion come with adjustable pedals? Maybe the brake pedal was adjusted all the way forward.

Not sure, it was a rental so I can't imagine adjustable pedals but you never know. I thought it was just kind of odd, but managed to adjust to the difference relatively easily.

Not sure what motor you had in your fusion but I've driven the bare bones 2013 Fusion and the hybrid at work and will say that my Escape (2.0 AWD Titanium) drives just as well if not better with weight in it. At work I usually have 2-3 people in the car and the base model felt sluggish while the hybrid was nice but wasn't pleasant on bumps or rough NYC roads. Probably due to the weight of the hybrid system. I'm just hoping you escape has nice seats because I love the leather sport seats in my Escape but have never been in a lower model escape

Not sure since it was a rental so I'm sure it was a base model.