Realistic Pricing on MKZs...

EcoBoost

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on shopping for a new 2013 or 2014 MKZ tomorrow and focused on some potential vehicles that are currently part of my local dealer's inventory. There are 4 choices:

A.) 2014 MKZ 3.7 FWD, Build Date 9/2/13, MSRP $49,460

B.) 2013 MKZ 3.7 AWD, Build Date 2/13/13, MSRP $51,185

C.) 2013 MKZ 3.7 AWD, Build Date 4/25/13, MSRP $49,885

D.) 2013 MKZ 3.7 FWD, Build Date 5/23/13, MSRP $48,625

I'm planning on leasing. To my knowledge, there is currently a $500 lease incentive available on the MY14 and on the MY13, a $1,750 incentive. I also received a $750 private cash coupon which should come on top of that. So all in all, I should have $1,250 on the MY14 and $2,500 on the MY13s in incentives/coupons. So far, so good. :)

Now, what should I expect in regards to dealer rebates on the vehicles in question?

I was thinking about 8% off MSRP. Is that realistic or too aggressive? I noticed that my local dealer was offering some MY13s (not the one I'm looking at) on autotrader at this price (8% off MSRP) so I figured that they would be willing to sell all their other cars in stock at the same rebate. I'm not sure though what I can expect on A.) since that is a MY14.

8% off MSRP would mean:

$3,960 off on A.)

$4,096 off on B.)

$3,990 off on C.)

$3,890 off on D.)

Any comments are welcome (especially if someone knows any details about the dealer holdback on deals in this category so I can get some idea what's fair for both sides) - thanks in advance! :victory:

Edited by EcoBoost

Thanks for your input, jared! ;)

Interesting that when I punch in all the numbers (same %-ige of rebate on all cars), it turns out that all MY13s are within $15/month (plus tax) - although B.) is $2,500 more than D.). The MY14 is $25/month more (on a 24 month/13.5K miles per year lease). .

I'll have to see if they can approve me for the top tier lease rate. If not, there should be some money left in the deal to compensate for that.

BTW, I checked Edmunds "Fair Market Values" on 13s and 14s and to my surprise, it turned out that on average, buyers seem to get the same rebate on both MYs. However, the listed rebate is less than 8% off MSRP (but since these prices are average prices as well, it certainly doesn't mean that they can't be beat).

Edited by EcoBoost

The rebates are the same but the 2013s are slightly cheaper on lease ($404 vs. $439 for 36 mos $0 down). For purchasing it's $1K plus 0% financing. For a Ford lease the incentives are already baked into the lease price.

I priced a base FWD on Ford.com and through X plan. The lease payment difference from Ford.com (based on msrp) and X plan (about $250 above invoice) is $35/month on a 39 month lease. So I'd say your negotiation range is what Ford.com says the lease would cost minus $35/month, give or take.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you already went through with this, but something important to consider is that the MY 2014s only come with 2 years of maintenance, while the MY13s come with 4 years. If you're doing a 3 year lease this is a huge consideration.

Thanks for your input, a76marine! ;)

Two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2013 (the option D. I listed in my initial post). The additional rebates on the 2013 were simply unbeatable. Options B. and C. actually weren't available. Option A. - while only $800 more in MSRP - would have cost me an additional $110/month on a 24-month lease. That would have been a high premium for rear inflatable seatbelts and multi-contour seats.. :doh:

Here's the thread about my new ride:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55421-since-this-is-a-fusion-and-mkz-forum/

Not sure if you already went through with this, but something important to consider is that the MY 2014s only come with 2 years of maintenance, while the MY13s come with 4 years. If you're doing a 3 year lease this is a huge consideration.

What maintenance is required in years 3-4 other than $100 in oil changes?