U.S. Patent Office cancels trademark registrations for NFL’s Washington Redskins

A more appropriate name might be.. "White Man Owner, Dark Man Players on Land Taken From Redskins".

One for three there, mettech.

"White Man Owner, **** Man Players on Land Taken From ********".

You can't refer to the race or physical characteristics of any minority. Only the "White Man" is subject to such treatment. Because he has never done anything good for anyone but himself and he destroys anyone else for his own selfish reason. Any criticism of him for the transgressions of his ancestors is to be tolerated. And all of his progeny shall suffer for eternity for those actions taken by certain members of his race, regardless of any lack of factual evidence that those subject to such criticism and beratement were personally or remotely responsible or guilty of those crimes.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of origins, the word Redskin has been used as a slur since the 1800s.

The Redskin protesters need to find a new hobby

Comparing the Backstreet Boys (admittedly a horrible boy-band) to the derogatory slang used to identify native people that were victims of genocide by a culture that still uses that slang today is a bit of an apples and oranges argument, yes?

I used to go to Redskins games at RFK. For fucks sake, it's just a football team..and not a very good one at that.

Some things are not really that easy to forget, particularly when you are the people that have been screwed (or in this case, killed by the thousands). Little nuggets like this from the Phips Proclamation of 1775:

For every Scalp of such Female Indian or Male Indian under the Age of twelve years that Shall be killed and brought in as Evidence of their being killed as aforesaid, Twenty pounds.

Edited by the_spaniard

One for three there, mettech.

"White Man Owner, **** Man Players on Land Taken From ********".

You can't refer to the race or physical characteristics of any minority. Only the "White Man" is subject to such treatment. Because he has never done anything good for anyone but himself and he destroys anyone else for his own selfish reason. Any criticism of him for the transgressions of his ancestors is to be tolerated. And all of his progeny shall suffer for eternity for those actions taken by certain members of his race, regardless of any lack of factual evidence that those subject to such criticism and beratement were personally or remotely responsible or guilty of those crimes.

Nah, the white man gets the crap because there is inequality favoring the white man - today, this instant, right now. Eliminate the inequality and there would not be a reason to complain. (Though some people complain about everything I guess)

Regardless of origins, the word Redskin has been used as a slur since the 1800s.

Does that mean I am racist for enjoying my potatoes?

Just had some for dinner, and they are my favorite. Nothing intended as a slur. Just a description that identifies a most distinguishing characteristic that variety of potato from all others.

And just how much sympathy would I get if I decided I was offended by being called a "pale-face", white-man, honky, Caucasian, European, or plain vanilla?

No one can make anyone do anything. I cannot blink your eyes. I cannot close your fingers. I cannot extend your leg. You are responsible for your own actions and reactions.

Including your emotions and feelings. "Sticks and Stones......"

I have been cursed and name-called at many different times during my life. I realized that being called a name only empowers the offender if I let it influence me.

And just how much sympathy would I get if I decided I was offended by being called a "pale-face", white-man, honky, Caucasian, European, or plain vanilla?

You would get a lot from me. Many of the black folks I have met in southern MD/DC are some of the most racist people I have ever seen. Any form of discrimination is a bad thing. I agree there is a terrible double-standard. The media isn't exactly fair when pointing out racism against white folks....they often treat it like it never happens. It is a frustrating situation for all involved.

I grew up in Southern MD and went to a high school where many white folks hated blacks, many black folks hated whites, and both of those really hated the only two hispanics there...my brother and I. Plenty of racially motivated violence all around that would easily go down in the books as hate crimes today.

Edited by the_spaniard

You would get a lot from me. Many of the black folks I have met in southern MD/DC are some of the most racist people I have ever seen. Any form of discrimination is a bad thing. I agree there is a terrible double-standard. The media isn't exactly fair when pointing out racism against white folks....they often treat it like it never happens. It is a frustrating situation for all involved.

I grew up in Southern MD and went to a high school where many white folks hated blacks, many black folks hated whites, and both of those really hated the only two hispanics there...my brother and I. Plenty of racially motivated violence all around that would easily go down in the books as hate crimes today.

There is much more blatant racism subsidized and supported by the federal government.

But, I wasn't asking for sympathy. And I do remember the past. I remember the "Whites Only" water fountain in Rich's Downtown in Atlanta, when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I strongly rebuke those attitudes. As I grew up, I remember how I consciously decided it was wrong and I made it one of my goals as an adult to resist my childhood experiences and family influences. Just as I decided that I would be a patriotic American, Boy Scout, gentle-man, faithful husband, devoted father, and trusted employee, I committed my heart and soul to judging others, not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their heart. To paraphrase MLK.

Too bad, the very ones he was speaking out to defend have often become the very ones most filled with the opposite racism and content of their heart. As if being wronged justified being wrong.

The whole issue focuses on the word and not the motivation of the user(s).

If you alter language, you don't alter thought.

However, telling someone they're racist or the beneficiary of a racist system, when they have no such underlying thought can only breed animosity.

Edited by RangerM

The whole issue focuses on the word and not the motivation of the user(s).

If you alter language, you don't alter thought.

It is impossible to focus on the motivation of all the users.

It is possible to not condone the use of a slur by eliminating its use by a popular sports organization.

However, telling someone they're racist or the beneficiary of a racist system, when they have no such underlying thought can only breed animosity.

While it may breed animosity, the truth often hurts. People cannot remain blissfully ignorant forever. That is not going to do anything to resolve the underlying issue of inequality.

As I mentioned before this is just football...a game.

Edited by the_spaniard

And words are just that, words.

The line of "offense" will continue to move, until something you care about is affected.

Then we may agree that the PC police are too much.

If not wanting to use a racial slur for a recreation team name makes people the "PC police" lets hope the line keeps moving.

Once again, it's just a game. Fun. Recreation. If they change the name there will still be a Washington team. People will still get to see games. Still follow their favorite players. Who knows Redskins sports memorabilia may skyrocket in value. Maybe they go back to the Braves, honestly who cares? A brand is a brand. I wouldn't care if they renamed "Ford" "Daihjitsudan Purple". And I am a fan of Ford vehicles.

The Redskins don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to respecting diversity anyway. Which team was the last to integrate it's NFL roster? The Redskins. And only under the threat of being kicked out of their own stadium.

Could "Cleveland Browns" be considered racist since the team is close to half African-Americans?

Red is out. Yellow would surely be out. Blacks....self explanatory. Greens could offend Martians and Irishmen.

Seems like some people need to put on their "Big Girl Panties". Geesh! You are having a National Football League team named after you in recognition of your strength, stamina, prowess, endurance, and power. Kinda sounds like a complement.

If not wanting to use a racial slur for a recreation team name makes people the "PC police" lets hope the line keeps moving.

Once again, it's just a game. Fun. Recreation. If they change the name there will still be a Washington team. People will still get to see games. Still follow their favorite players. Who knows Redskins sports memorabilia may skyrocket in value. Maybe they go back to the Braves, honestly who cares? A brand is a brand. I wouldn't care if they renamed "Ford" "Daihjitsudan Purple". And I am a fan of Ford vehicles.

The Redskins don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to respecting diversity anyway. Which team was the last to integrate it's NFL roster? The Redskins. And only under the threat of being kicked out of their own stadium.

Again, I don't defend the name "Redskins". Where you and I depart is that I believe it is a freedom of speech (or property rights) issue. If the NFL wishes to ban the name from the league, I'm ok with that as their private organization can decide who they will include in their "assembly".

It sets a dangerous precedent when the government is unwilling to protect speech/property rights for political correctness. People use "Tea Party" as a slur regularly; often by altering the name slightly (Teabagger, etc). Does a member of the Tea Party have the right to steal from those who use it as a slur? Should anyone who uses a slur go unprotected? Does Webster lose his copyright if his dictionary contains the words "nigger", "spic", "cracker", etc?

I don't care what their "track record" is. I don't care about "diversity". I don't care if they were the "last to integrate" or not. Those are separate issues.

Could "Cleveland Browns" be considered racist since the team is close to half African-Americans?

Red is out. Yellow would surely be out. Blacks....self explanatory. Greens could offend Martians and Irishmen.

Seems like some people need to put on their "Big Girl Panties". Geesh! You are having a National Football League team named after you in recognition of your strength, stamina, prowess, endurance, and power. Kinda sounds like a complement.

If it were the Cleveland Brownies, than yeah they should change their name. And honestly I have a real hard time caring about any team having to rename itself. As I have said before, just a game. And I enjoy watching football. Though slow-paced at least it's not the snooze-fest that baseball and golf are. It's my favorite American sport.

You are assuming that is why they were named Redskins. And regardless of original intent, a slur is a slur. When it comes to Native Americans, I'm pretty sure they have their "Big Girl Panties on". They are still surviving and trying to retain their culture after being decimated by whites, directly and indirectly, having your land stolen out from under you, tens of thousands murdered, and being forced to live on reservations far away from any hope at economic prosperity.

The people that did that to them want to use a racial slur that describes them for a recreational team. So yeah you can see why they may not like it. Many Native Americans live in conditions that would make most Americans cry like babies if they had to endure it for a month.

It can be argued that Snyder is being the baby in all this. He should man up and do what is right. Then again, he has always been a terrible team owner anyway so this isn't very surprising.

EDIT> BTW this is far from a "Suddenly the name is racist?" issue. The name has been protested by native groups since 1972.

Edited by the_spaniard