F-150

controller

Why doesn't Ford build an XL trim level for the SCrew F-150? Wouldn't thet sell more?

I always wondered the same thing. Say you want to buy a truck for your work fleet that seats six, but you have no need for all the power gizmos or upgraded interior. Why isn't there a work version of the SCrew? Seems like it would make great sense, certainly wouldn't cost Ford anything extra to make, just don't overproduce a bunch of them so they sit on the lots.

if you need to carry 6 AND cargo, the F150 isn't enough (GVWR)

So you would then need an F250 crew, which they do sell.

If you're really loading up the truck and towing, yes I agree. But, if it's a work truck that will occasionally need to seat 5-6 and needs to have a truck bed for occasional gear, then I think a SCrew would be perfect and a little more compact than a SuperDuty. Just my opinion, I know most truck customers look at the SuperDuty anyways.

if you need to carry 6 AND cargo, the F150 isn't enough (GVWR)

So you would then need an F250 crew, which they do sell.

Not everybody should be forced or needs the F-250. Towing capacity on F-150 goes up to 10,500lbs for 2007. Ford should be making an XL level SCrew, plain and simple. If it doesn't sell, they can stop making them and let the F-250 have all the sales. That's like saying "Well anybody who needs a crewcab Ranger can just go buy an F-150".

Not everybody should be forced or needs the F-250. Towing capacity on F-150 goes up to 10,500lbs for 2007. Ford should be making an XL level SCrew, plain and simple. If it doesn't sell, they can stop making them and let the F-250 have all the sales. That's like saying "Well anybody who needs a crewcab Ranger can just go buy an F-150".

do the math

Supercrew with 6.5 bed, 2wd

GVWR 7050

Curb Weight 5323

leaves 1727 for cargo.

5 construction men at an average of 240# is 1200#

WHich only leaves 500# for payload which isn't all that much.

Therefore... go to a SuperDuty for a crewcab work truck

do the math

Supercrew with 6.5 bed, 2wd

GVWR 7050

Curb Weight 5323

leaves 1727 for cargo.

5 construction men at an average of 240# is 1200#

WHich only leaves 500# for payload which isn't all that much.

Therefore... go to a SuperDuty for a crewcab work truck

Do the reading...question was: Why don't they make an XL SCrew, not an F-150 crewcab work truck.

I did do the math and you're correct. However, there's myself, wife and two kids. I make the occansional trip to Lowes or move the occasional piece of furniture or go to the city dump. It would be nice to have the SCrew available with an XL trim level as a secondary vehicle that's not too expensive instead of trying to fit stuff in to an Explorer. I've already spent my money on the Explorer, I don't want to spend more than I have to on a secondary vehicle that I'm going to use for grunt work. That's what the majority of people buy their F-150s for, a family vehicle that does light duty work. Sure, I could buy used for a cheap truck, but not everybody likes to buy used. An F-150 SCrew XL would fill that roll as a cheap secondary vehicle that can handle the dirty work of most families while carrying them in comfort. Like I said in my previous post, if it doesn't sell, Ford can stop making it and let the SDuty have the sales.

• 4 weeks later...

Compare towing:

F250 crew cab 4x4 5.4L 3.73 axles 9,100 lbs max towing.

F150 crew cab 4x4 5.4L 3.73 axles 9,200 lbs max towing.

The F-150 is a little better when the same engines and axles are compaired and for a family towing a heavy boat or camper would be a good choice.

The most likely reason there is no XL crew cab F-150 is Ford would have to design and build standard windows, interior trim panels, front and rear seats (the F150 crew cab has B-pillar mounted seat belts but the super cab and regular cab have the belts mounted in the seats). Of course Ford could offer the XL crew cab with standard power windows, locks and cloth seats like the XLT but at that point the price would be near the XLT.

Here's another good question. Why does Ford offer the 5.4L in every F-150 EXCEPT the STX? It's available in every other trim even the base XL but not the STX.

Also, in my opinion, the next generation F-150 should drop the 5.5ft bed option and forget the little rear doors on the regular cab.

• 4 weeks later...
Why does Ford offer the 5.4L in every F-150 EXCEPT the STX? It's available in every other trim even the base XL but not the STX.

Also, in my opinion, the next generation F-150 should drop the 5.5ft bed option and forget the little rear doors on the regular cab.

That does seem strange. You'd think with the "sporty" theme of the STX that the 5.4 would be a perfect match. I agree that the 5.5 ft bed should be dropped, but only for the SuperCab. Those 5.5 bed S/C's really look weird. They could also drop the Flareside for the SuperCrew. I haven't seen one "in person" but I saw a picture that looked really strange. And yes, the little rear doors should go.