Thoughts from a first time poster

ktpfork

I have been reading these posts for awhile now and would like to say a few things, I will say I am sorry now if I offend anyone by my comments.

More curious than anything, so please excuse me,

But, all of you that say "cut the check, or show me the money" What exactly are you planning to do, after the fact. Unless you have our own business, you will probably only make somewhere between 10 and 15.00/hr. with little or no benefits. This is a big difference of what we are making now.

I understand, the plants that are closing, you don't really have a choice, but the plants that aren't closing we are still makeing at least 28.00/hr plus benefits. Even when laid off we bring home more than 600.00 a wk plus we still have are medical benefits.

For all of you that want to drop the union, WHY, granted you may not see them locally, but if you are like me and have a wife and kids I guarentee you that you are using more than 60.00 a month in medical alone,not to mention your other benefits. Personally,I have medical bills well over 5,000.00 a month for my wife and son and I am grateful that it cost me next to nothing. Anyplace else I would be paying most if not all of this cost or my family would have to do without the medical help which to me is not an option.

For all of you that say, if you haven't made it in 30 your not going to make it in 40, although I agree about your views on making it, you don't know what their situation is,

For one if you retire and aren't old enought for Social Security, you will actually be hurting yourself when you do reach that age, your SS will be cut because of you retiring early.

Two, these people you are talking about should be THANKED for giving you what you have today, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have what we have today.

FYI: I have 11 years in and am hoping that somehow,somewhere, I will be able to finish my last 19.

So with that I would like to thank the UAW and Ford for giving me what I have now and hope that you can work it out.

If Ford goes under it will hurt more than just Ford workers.

I hope you all get what you want, and want what you get.

Thank you for your time.

Very good post, I agree with you on a lot of things.

I for one want a buyout. I have spent years in school and am thankful for ETAP. I've been through one plant closing and am ready to move on with my life. My wife also works and has great insurance. Although like you said a lot of people who are not prepared will have a hard time going to a job where the pay is cut in half.

A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth because they have been burned by the union. Whether it has been bad information about a subject ,only allowing so many buyouts or just a bad expereience with their local rep.

However I am very thankful for what are union brothers and sisters have worked so hard to bargain for us today.

I wish the best of luck to you my brother in the future!

I have been reading these posts for awhile now and would like to say a few things, I will say I am sorry now if I offend anyone by my comments.

But, all of you that say "cut the check, or show me the money" What exactly are you planning to do, after the fact. Unless you have our own business, you will probably only make somewhere between 10 and 15.00/hr. with little or no benefits. This is a big difference of what we are making now.

I understand, the plants that are closing, you don't really have a choice, but the plants that aren't closing we are still makeing at least 28.00/hr plus benefits. Even when laid off we bring home more than 600.00 a wk plus we still have are medical benefits.

For all of you that want to drop the union, WHY, granted you may not see them locally, but if you are like me and have a wife and kids I guarentee you that you are using more than 60.00 a month in medical alone,not to mention your other benefits. Personally,I have medical bills well over 5,000.00 a month for my wife and son and I am grateful that it cost me next to nothing. Anyplace else I would be paying most if not all of this cost or my family would have to do without the medical help which to me is not an option.

For all of you that say, if you haven't made it in 30 your not going to make it in 40, although I agree about your views on making it, you don't know what their situation is,

For one if you retire and aren't old enought for Social Security, you will actually be hurting yourself when you do reach that age, your SS will be cut because of you retiring early.

Two, these people you are talking about should be THANKED for giving you what you have today, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have what we have today.

FYI: I have 11 years in and am hoping that somehow,somewhere, I will be able to finish my last 19.

So with that I would like to thank the UAW and Ford for giving me what I have now and hope that you can work it out.

Thank you for your time.

YES I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR WHAT PREVIOUS UNION BROTHERS FOUGHT FOR.....THESE SORRY ASSES WE HAVE NOW DIDNT DO IT. I AM ALSO THANKFUL FOR HAVING SUCH A GOOD PAYING JOB WITH GREAT BENEFITS BUT IVE BEEN AT FORD FOR 13 YRS, AND I LIVED BEFORE FOMOCO....AND IM SURE AS HELL I CAN LIVE AFTER THEM. ITS BEEN A FUN RIDE BUT ITS COMING TO AN END. THIS MANAGEMENT TEAM HAS DESTROYED THIS COMPANY IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, AND THIS PATHETIC UNION HAS LET THEM DO IT. LET ME ASK YOU HOW MANY GRIEVANCES HAVE YOU WON IN YOUR 11 YEARS THERE?? MY GUESS IS NOT MANY. LET ME GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE......I FOLLOWED AN ORDER FROM A BOSS, KNOWING IT WASNT RIGHT, AND TRIED TO TELL HIM IT WASNT RIGHT, BUT HE DIDNT CARE. SO I DID EXACTLY AS I WAS TOLD, THEN HE TURNED AROUND AND GAVE ME BALANCE OF SHIFT AND A DAY OFF. MY GREAT UNION COULDNT EVEN GET ME PAID EVEN THOUGH THE BOSS TOLD THE UNION THAT I FOLLOWED A DIRECT ORDER. THATS HOW GOOD OUR UNION IS......UAW CAN KISS MY ASS :kissass:

YES I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR WHAT PREVIOUS UNION BROTHERS FOUGHT FOR.....THESE SORRY ASSES WE HAVE NOW DIDNT DO IT. I AM ALSO THANKFUL FOR HAVING SUCH A GOOD PAYING JOB WITH GREAT BENEFITS BUT IVE BEEN AT FORD FOR 13 YRS, AND I LIVED BEFORE FOMOCO....AND IM SURE AS HELL I CAN LIVE AFTER THEM. ITS BEEN A FUN RIDE BUT ITS COMING TO AN END. THIS MANAGEMENT TEAM HAS DESTROYED THIS COMPANY IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, AND THIS PATHETIC UNION HAS LET THEM DO IT. LET ME ASK YOU HOW MANY GRIEVANCES HAVE YOU WON IN YOUR 11 YEARS THERE?? MY GUESS IS NOT MANY. LET ME GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE......I FOLLOWED AN ORDER FROM A BOSS, KNOWING IT WASNT RIGHT, AND TRIED TO TELL HIM IT WASNT RIGHT, BUT HE DIDNT CARE. SO I DID EXACTLY AS I WAS TOLD, THEN HE TURNED AROUND AND GAVE ME BALANCE OF SHIFT AND A DAY OFF. MY GREAT UNION COULDNT EVEN GET ME PAID EVEN THOUGH THE BOSS TOLD THE UNION THAT I FOLLOWED A DIRECT ORDER. THATS HOW GOOD OUR UNION IS......UAW CAN KISS MY ASS :kissass:

You sound very bitter, not just in this post, but many others that I have read. If you hate the Union and Ford sooooo much, then why don't you quit? If you really hate it so much, then why bother waiting for their money? :doh: Just wondering?!?

for me its not an option to transfer to another plant my kids and family are here. if i were still married it would be more of an option. if i get a buyout i can pay off my truck, credit cards and other bills. then i should be able to get by on less money a month. that way if my first job after ford isnt the best i can get by still. i have done the math and i can get by just barely with the current buyout. if they raised it to 150k it would be a lot easier. but i doubt that will happen. i only need to make 18hr to get by with no extras or anything like that. its not the greatest plan but its safe while i hope for better

You sound very bitter, not just in this post, but many others that I have read. If you hate the Union and Ford sooooo much, then why don't you quit? If you really hate it so much, then why bother waiting for their money? :doh: Just wondering?!?

how can one not be bitter when they sit here and watch what was once a great automotive company, turn to shit and there is nothing that i can do about it. :shrug: you work at ford you should see this as well as anyone else. i dont hate my job at all, i am proud to work at ford, not so proud of our "union", and you should understand that too. what i do hate, is that this pathetic excuse for a management team is sinking this ship, :titanic: but its always the blue collar workers that suffer through layoffs, benefit cuts, pay cuts, ect.......do you think management took a pay cut like we did?? i wouldnt count on it. i would love to see this company go back to the glory days of yesteryear, but until supervision can stand up and recognize.....it will never happen.

I'm with ktpfork.

I'm also 93 KTP, and I've done the math, and even with a $140K buyout, within 5 years it doesn't look so good. And I've got a bachelors.

Even if our benefits change, and they will, its almost impossible to walk away if you have some job security/seniority.......

Now somebody younger, or with little time and single, no kids.......that's different

I think some people who want that check think that its easy to just walk into an 18 dollar/hr+ job.. i know here in se michigan it isnt that easy i have plenty of family members that can vouch for that. if my plant does close and if i did take a buyout, i could live off it for a little while, refinance the house i just bought, and hope i can find something decent. i'd probably lose my truck at the very least, but i think ford credit will be eating a lot of vehicles if so many lose their job.

I have 12 years in with Ford, 49 years old. My home is paid for, I owe no credit card debt. My oldest is married and in college, my youngest is a senior in high school. My aging parents and in-laws both need taking care of. I could have transferred to Louisville, but I don't see a very bright future for either plant there, not to mention what I stated above concerning my family. As a matter-of-fact, I don't see Ford Motor hanging around that much longer. They aren't going to survive by plant closings and layoffs. They can't see the answer that's staring them straight in the eye - make products that people want to buy! As long as people can buy a car that they like for a better value with fewer recalls and repairs, then they will - and I don't blame them. I won't be buying another Ford unless they come out with something new and exciting, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I may not be able to find another job comparable to what I had here at Ford - but I worked before Ford, and I'll work again, and I'll get by. I'll take the buyout. At least I won't be bouncing around from state-to-state, plant-to-plant, under constant stress wondering if my "current" plant is going to shut down.

Management has ruined Ford, and they are STILL on the wrong path. I won't be surprised at all when they file bankruptcy.

I may not be able to find another job comparable to what I had here at Ford - but I worked before Ford, and I'll work again, and I'll get by. I'll take the buyout. At least I won't be bouncing around from state-to-state, plant-to-plant, under constant stress wondering if my "current" plant is going to shut down.

Management has ruined Ford, and they are STILL on the wrong path. I won't be surprised at all when they file bankruptcy.

Damn right, you hit the nail on the head.........I don't need that stress for the next 17 years!

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post,

I think some of you still don't get it,

Do you really think that going someplace else is the answer or will be less stressfull?

Maybe for awhile, but eventually, what is happening to the auto industry is going to happen everwhere else.

It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, eventually you still have to worry if that company will be around tomorrow.

As far as the UAW goes, I'm not saying they are the best, but I know I am getting my dues worth.

I may not agree all the time with management, Ford or the UAW, but I know damn well that what I got is far better than what I will ever get.

As far as the question about how many grievances I have filed and won, the answer would be none. In my 11 years I have never filed a grievance. For the most part I come to work, do my job, and go home. To me it's not worth getting worked up about half the time.

I was taught to treat others as I want to be treated and it has worked so far for me. I think most supervisors are just like us, they want to come to work and go home.

We all have survived before Ford and probably will after, but it just won't be the same.

KTPfork,

Damn well said in your original post and your follow up response. 100%

Allot of good reponses here.

ktpworker,

I do understand your anger, just dont let it get the best of you. Remember they can not take your pride unless you give it to them.

Pipefitter

Edited by Pipefitter

Do you really think that going someplace else is the answer or will be less stressfull?

Maybe for awhile, but eventually, what is happening to the auto industry is going to happen everwhere else.

It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, eventually you still have to worry if that company will be around tomorrow.

As far as the UAW goes, I'm not saying they are the best, but I know I am getting my dues worth.

I may not agree all the time with management, Ford or the UAW, but I know damn well that what I got is far better than what I will ever get.

As far as the question about how many grievances I have filed and won, the answer would be none. In my 11 years I have never filed a grievance. For the most part I come to work, do my job, and go home. To me it's not worth getting worked up about half the time.

I was taught to treat others as I want to be treated and it has worked so far for me. I think most supervisors are just like us, they want to come to work and go home.

We all have survived before Ford and probably will after, but it just won't be the same.

Well, yes, actually I DO "get it". I've been through this before - I was laid off back in '91, so I already knew what it was like to worry about my future. I've also never had reason to file a grievance, and have taken 3 personal days in all my years at Ford.

The Union's big "selling points" over the past few years have been "job security" and "health plan". Well, as far as I can see they've dropped the ball on both. I still have a decent health plan, but not as decent as it was. And since Atlanta will be closing, I have zero job security and will be hitting the pavement soon. I don't blame the Union for Ford's woes, but I also don't give them high marks for protecting my job.

Ford Motor Company is just a job - it's not my life. I made a decent living before Ford, and I'll make a decent living after Ford. I could give 2 hoots about Ford Motor. There are millions of people out there who do just fine without Ford - and I'll be one of those millions. I'm grateful for the years I had with them, but it's time to move on.

And I'll survive without Ford motor just fine - and will thank my lucky stars that things AREN'T the same!!

KTPfork,

Damn well said in your original post and your follow up response. 100%

Allot of good reponses here.

ktpworker,

I do understand your anger, just dont let it get the best of you. Remember they can not take your pride unless you give it to them.

Pipefitter

pipefitter, thats the only thing they cant take is my pride, and they WONT get that

Nice use of the caps lock button.

Unfortunately it seems like you posted with an agenda and not everyone sees it exactly like you do. It also appears that you don't get it either, people have to make choices based on their lives, not yours. You might feel one option is best for you, but after reviewing what we have on the buy outs I can see how many of the packages would benifit me at different times in my life and will have to make the best choice for me when the time comes.

I do not believe the union has done what they can all the time and I understand the the people are the union and the officials are the tools. Unfortunately our top tools think their are the union in whole. I read where you say you have never filed a grievence, that is either very lucky or too bad. I feel part of the companies problem is the union is letting management do whatever they want without holding them accountble and thus never forcing them to manage, then when they get in a bind they can't mangae. We have to write grievences and force them to manage within the contract so as they move up the ladder that have some management skills.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for your time.

I realize that the pay and benefits at ford are very generous compared to other jobs, I had many jobs before I started working at ford almost 12 years ago. I am thankful that I was able to get a job at ford when I did. However, everything has it's season and to me this is the season for me to leave and move on. I never planned on making a career out of ford anyway.

As I read your post I agree with some of the things you say, however, I also see where you seem a little too dependent on ford. Like you don't think you could make it without them, and with only 11 years in if I were you I would seriously consider on a backup plan for me and my family just in case. From what I am seeing going on with the company the ford we have known and worked for is not going to be the same ford it used to be once all the changes take effect. You can expect to give a lot up in concessions, work harder for less, and be prepared to work in a much stricter, stressful enviornment. I honestly think ford will be trying their best to write people up, give them time off, or fire them, for even the smallest things. I see it happening already in my building. The union seems to be getting weaker too, not so much in our corner, so expect to be more on your own far as getting out of trouble.

Nothing wrong with wanting to try and ride out the tides at ford, but make sure in the meantime you strive to put yourself in a position financially and mentally where if it doesn't go as you planned, or comes to the point where you want to bail that you have something to fall back on. This is no time to be just going along as if it's business as usual at ford. Even as a single mom I have enough confidence in myself and abilities to know I can make it without ford. Don't be a puppet for ford where you will do anything to follow ford and try and hold onto your job, cause when push comes to shove they won't have that same loyalty to you. Alan Mually and Mark Fields don't seem to give a good one about ford workers, and are nothing but hypocrits, expect to be controlled, and treated like crap under their leadership. :bowdown:

Edited by ford14

Well said.

Like the above, I agree with alot of your post fork, however, the buyout decision is a personal one for many. Most I know who are taking the edopp have the opportunity to have a career, not just a job. They pay for school, you get half of your pay, and keep your insurance for the length of time you are in school. This is a fantastic opportunity for some, not all. There are jobs you can secure your future with, you just need to have an education, which is what they are offering. There are many jobs, with our kind of pay, in the medical and technical field. You just have to earn a degree. For some that may not be an option, of course, for several different reasons, but for those who can kudos!

I would never consider the 100k a good thing, unless you have something already going for you.

I have 12 years in with Ford, 49 years old. My home is paid for, I owe no credit card debt. My oldest is married and in college, my youngest is a senior in high school. My aging parents and in-laws both need taking care of. I could have transferred to Louisville, but I don't see a very bright future for either plant there, not to mention what I stated above concerning my family. As a matter-of-fact, I don't see Ford Motor hanging around that much longer. They aren't going to survive by plant closings and layoffs. They can't see the answer that's staring them straight in the eye - make products that people want to buy! As long as people can buy a car that they like for a better value with fewer recalls and repairs, then they will - and I don't blame them. I won't be buying another Ford unless they come out with something new and exciting, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

U obviously like to write but do u like to read??? Ford didnt borrow 18bil to go into bankruptcy...do

u understand business 201...or even 101? This company will survive & if u dont think the critically

acclaimed new Fusion or Edge are exciting then go look @ a KIA my friend casue u dont have

much taste....im glad to hear you are takin a buyout cause the negative,sky-is-gonna-fall-type

isnt needed in a company movin as aggressively fwd as this one is right now.....Ford did right

by you & your family & if you were a honorable,loyal type you wouldnt look anywhere else but

the Ford store when its time to car shop.............

U obviously like to write but do u like to read??? Ford didnt borrow 18bil to go into bankruptcy...do

u understand business 201...or even 101? This company will survive & if u dont think the critically

acclaimed new Fusion or Edge are exciting then go look @ a KIA my friend casue u dont have

much taste....im glad to hear you are takin a buyout cause the negative,sky-is-gonna-fall-type

isnt needed in a company movin as aggressively fwd as this one is right now.....Ford did right

by you & your family & if you were a honorable,loyal type you wouldnt look anywhere else but

BTW, also meant to add i wouldnt be surprised if u file for bankruptcy f**knut!

See ya @ Best Buy or maybe Costco when im buyin my new plasma tv & u r

greetin customers or stockin shelves or u could sell Avon.............

Take u r buyout & get the f**k out!

BTW, also meant to add i wouldnt be surprised if u file for bankruptcy f**knut!

See ya @ Best Buy or maybe Costco when im buyin my new plasma tv & u r

greetin customers or stockin shelves or u could sell Avon.............

Take u r buyout & get the f**k out!

A little bit of help with your posts, you say you are working on an MBA but your post are like a kid texting on a cell phone, please spell shit out.

ktpworker69 , no offense ,but you need to move on. People need to vent cuz this is a place where people in the same boat can listen to each other and let it all out.

Again,dont take this the wrong way ,but no one is in the mood for your self enlightenment ,or your pondering of life's riddles. We are all well versed on why we have what we have,but those times have changed for most of us. Go somewhere else and pat yourself on the back. :slap:

Edited by NorfolkBuilt