An OEM solution when Sync support is dropped

RangerM

I'm not sure what that solution for replacement would be, but I have no doubt that Ford will ultimately have to drop support for Sync. I'm probably one of the few willing to spend the cash to get an OEM head unit to replace the existing one.

Love to see them offer a replacement that would allow Android Auto or something similar.

I'm sure I haven't seen all of the aftermarket offerings, but most look so jury-rigged it really brings the interior down.

At least they've gone away from those oval radios.

If the software is working then support doesn't matter, unless you're talking about not being able to get replacement hardware.

My thinking is multi-faceted but one might be, when Ford drops support, is there a reason for any Android/iOS developer to continue to produce (or support) "Sync-enabled" apps?

I did see this, today. So, there's hope.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3011596/car-tech/ford-software-update-puts-a-siri-button-in-millions-of-cars.html

Edited by RangerM

My thinking is multi-faceted but one might be, when Ford drops support, is there a reason for any Android/iOS developer to continue to produce (or support) "Sync-enabled" apps?

If you have MFT today you can upgrade to Sync 3 by replacing the screen and the APIM and maybe a few other parts. It would probably cost $2K but it can be done. A Ford employee did it on a Taurus prior to the sync 3 release. And there is at least one person offering it as a package (for $2K).