Ford Bumps Fusion Energi Range to 610 Miles

I wonder if the changes could be applied to earlier models:

Ford has bumped the range of the 2017 Fusion Energi, a plug-in hybrid, to a diesel-like 610 miles on one tank of fuel.

That’s up 60 miles from the 2016 model, and it’s an important measurement to some drivers because it means fewer stops for fuel. Ford said today that the 2017 Fusion Energi goes the first 22 miles on battery power -- up 10 percent over the 2016 model -- and then can go another 588 miles on gasoline. The car’s top speed on electric power remains 85 mph.

Ford engineers squeezed out the additional 60 miles by tweaking the Fusion Energi’s powertrain software and regenerative braking system.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160526/OEM05/160529907/ford-bumps-driving-range-of-2017-fusion-energi-to-610-miles

What I don't understand is how the Fusion Energi fuel economy ratings went up and the Fusion Hybrid went down, so now they are both identical to each other.

The larger battery in the Energi should have some impact on fuel economy I would think.