Airbag Light

Halcyon

I made a post about my airbag light flipping on a while back.

I purchased a Bluedriver ODB2 reader (impressed with that btw). Connected it to my kid's phone, since its better than mine. Pretty cool.

Anyways,

I also picked up a battery tester.

The battery initially read low. Turning the car on turned it back up to green. It has jumped between medium/good and bad/good several times, which probably means that's the culprit.

The codes are reading

U0151 - Lost Communication with restraints control module: no sub type information

-- Checked the fuse left of the brake pedal. It was ok.

U0155 - Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module: No Sub Type Information

-- Fuse was also ok.

U3003 - Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

So the question I have (Because it is otherwise cut and dry) is whether or not there could be a legitimate wiring issue? Where IS the RCM?

In the mean time, I'm going to go get the battery tested.

The rcm is forward of the console on tunnel. Can you clear the codes? If you connect a battery charger and turn key on and clear codes. Next key cycle see if codes come back with key in on position. Those codes are normally related to battery voltage issues

CarQuest tested the battery and battery is perfectly fine.

I cleared the codes and new codes popped up in the old codes absence.

P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete (Guessing I did something incorrectly)

B0028 - Right Side Airbag Deployment Control: Circuit Open

So ...one of the connectors isn't connected correctly?

Yeah under the back of the passenger front seat is a yellow connector with a red lock. There is another yellow connector on floor under seat in middle. Most of the time 0028 is the connector for back rest. You may have to unclip the seat cover j clip to access. Slide red lock back and depress tab. Disconnect. Reconnect and clear and retest. If it goes away. It could be terminal fretting. You can apply a little grease in connector end. Twist connector a couple times and reconnect. That applies pressure on pins

Edited by fordtech1

I have already done this once, cleaned the connectors with some electrical cleaner. Re-connected them. The two connectors at the bottom left and bottom right, as well as the connector on the right side underneath the controls. Is there a diagram for which connector(s) I need to wiggle/jiggle a little in order to solve this pickle?

So you will have to get under the seat cover to access the side bag connector. Disconnect the j clip of back cover. You can roll it up some to access. If you had a scan tool that you could look at parameters, you could wiggle wiring and watch the resistance fluctuate.

By the way to make sure everyone is safe. Airbags are explosives. Do not use any Multi meters to measure resistance in air bag wiring as they produce enough to detonate the bag. The connectors have shorting bars to help from this happening. But never ever measure with a meter with a bag plugged in.

Heh. Nevermind. I just pulled every connector, applied a bit of di-electric grease, and re-applied.

I DID however, find a second yellow plug underneath the seat that I had not found previously which might have been the cause to start with.

Airbag light is off.

edit: I should learn to refresh the page before I post.

Thanks for the input, I didn't get the multi-meter out. Didn't see it as a necessity yet. I'm just happy that I didn't have to go spend $150 at a dealership. Instead I fixed it myself for $3.50 for a di-electric grease tube and a $100 bluedriver bluetooth odb unit (that I get to keep using).

Edited by Halcyon