How do I report a safety issue directly to Ford?

My wife drives an 05 Lincoln LS. Recently it has been randomly engaging the electronic parking brake while the vehicle is in motion. Obviously this is a real safety issue. I know it's 11 years old and Ford doesn't owe me anything, but the automakers are generally interested in knowing about these sorts of problems and recalls are regularly issued for vehicles 15-20 years old.

Apparently Jaguar issued a recall in 2010 for the same problem in the LS's platform mate (the Jaguar model name escapes me at the moment).

I know how to report an issue to the NHTSA. They currently have two existing reports of the same problem.

Anyone know if Ford has an online portal I can use to report such an issue?

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

We purchased a brand new LS back in 2005. The electronic parking brake started engaging as you described approximately 5 years into ownership. After multiple trips to the shop to attempt to diagnose and resolve the issue, I finally took it to a Ford dealer in 2013. They replaced the throttle body/throttle position sensor combo. The service tech explained that the computer was sensing a full/stuck throttle and as a safety measure the parking brake would engage. I feel your pain on this one, as the parking brake would engage at random times. Once it occurred on the interstate at 65mph. Not good. I traded the car late in 2013, but the parking brake issue never occurred again after the throttle body was replaced.

I researched this issue many times on LS forums among other sites. Hopefully someone on this board can assist with reporting this directly to Ford as a known safety issue.

Edited by 02MustangGT

Yeah I've read other reports that say the coolant control valve causes electrical interference that sets off the electric brake control module.

I'm not really interested in chasing electrical gremlins, throwing parts at it, or spending hundreds at a dealership on an 11 year old beater. I'll probably just yank the cables off the rear discs and let the module do whatever it wants. I've only ever missed a parking brake on vehicles with a manual trans, which obviously the LS doesn't have.

I'm only interested in notifying Ford because this is clearly a design flaw in the system, not a matter of worn out parts. There should really be a recall, given the existing NHTSA reports and the fact that Jaguar has a recall for the same issue on their version of the LS.

• Like 1