Will the Ford Edge SAVE the Ford Motor Company??

Another thing I want to know is, where does this guy live? Even assuming this guy pushes his Expedition to the gas station after it completely runs out of gas, with a 28 gallon capacity, gas would have to be $3.57 a gallon.

Little over a month ago, my family in Chicago said it was $3.60. So if there's any article lead time, that sounds about right. Gas is all the way "down" to $2.30 where I live in KY, now, but it won't stay that way forever.

26K sounds low to me, for an Escape Hybrid. I htought they were higher? It's been a while since I looked even half-heartedly at one. The price premium for hybrids vs the "savings" in better mileage just doesn't pan out to me. Plus the escape is too small for my tastes. Thought I was in a clown car last time I tried one and the lack of driver's right armrest bugged the crap out of me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Edge is not a cutting edge Ford saving vehicle... There are too many competitors in the SUV and crossover market and the Edge pioneers nothing. I could live the rest of my life and not care that Ford would ever bring out another SUV or Crossover...

What Ford needs to work on is a RWD performance capable sedan with the right look. Ford also needs to make over badly neglected models. Oh yeah and bring back the right Thunderbird already...

You could not care, but Ford has too, Why would they ignore a growing market that is taking market share away from its products? The Escape was nothing special and was late to market, but it didnt stop it from becoming the number one selling small SUV. Also I saw in a Ford advert that the Edge was the most powerful CUV in its class with the 3.5L.

As for the RWD sedan, would be nice, but lets look at the LX cars...the Sebring is as bad as a Tempo and about as exciting as one and the Neon was a turd and the new Caliber isn't excactly lighting up the retal market with a large percentage of fleet sales. If your a DCX fan and wanted a sedan, well your pretty much left with getting a LX car. While it would be nice for Ford to have a RWD sedan, it can wait for the time being.

Most of Ford neglected models are Fleet specials not worth of putting any additional money into, since they are already making money on them.

Some evidence that supports the Ford Edge is not nearly as expensive as everyone says it is.

Here is something for consideration. Taking into account inflation, if it was 1986 a Ford Edge would cost around $14,886, that's assuming a sticker price of $25,500 for 2007.

Now consider this snippet about the Ford Taurus from 1986:

"The LX was loaded with air conditioning, power windows, power seats, electric door locks, a cassette stereo and cruise control, although these features were also available as options on the other cars. The top-of-the-line LX station wagon sold for $14,300."

A base Ford Edge (which shares many of it's options with the then top of the line station wagon, would only be $586 more in 1986. Converted back to 2005 dollars (as that is as current as the calculator works) that is $998.

When you look at it that way, it's not really that much over priced; especially considering the Taurus was considered a cheap car.

Sure $25k plus for a new car seems expensive but it seems that a lot of people are forgetting that their dollars don't go as far as they used to. I would agree if Ford could skim down that price around $2000, that could help a lot, but that doesn't mean it is over priced. If they cut the price by that much, it would mean the new Ford Edge would be cheaper then a fully loaded Taurus from 1986. ($14,300 vs $13718)

Here are my sources I used –

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus

Edited by cyearns

Sparks, this one is all for you and extreme good buddy. It's a USA today article and doesn't have anything to do with what we are discussing here. It's form another thread here on BON and the article is discussing how GM wants Ford to quit airing aids about their warranty being the best. Not really related to what we were on about here. But there is one interesting little sentence in here that I want you to key on ok. Here it is.

GM and Ford are losing ground to import brands, perceived by many buyers as having higher-quality vehicles.

:o :o Gee it seems like I said that very thing didn't I guys? Then you two clowns came along and started calling me, what was it? A negatoid? A moron? lol So tell me what is USA Today? Are they meganegatoid? lol

This is your :slap:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-0..._x.htm?csp=N008

GM and Ford are losing ground to import brands, perceived by many buyers as having higher-quality vehicles.

:o :o Gee it seems like I said that very thing didn't I guys? Then you two clowns came along and started calling me, what was it? A negatoid? A moron? lol So tell me what is USA Today? Are they meganegatoid? lol

This is your :slap:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-0..._x.htm?csp=N008

This is controversial?

It's about 98% of the "word-of-mouth" campaign the Japanese invaders have waged against Detroit (aided and abetted by the willing accomplices at Consumer Reports and in the elite automobile enthusiast-oriented media).

Toyota even used to run a commercial featuring a rusty Ford Pinto in the background, in contrast to the liberated 'feeling" that a new Toyopet something-or-other would bring!

Remember kids, PERCEPTION IS NOT REALITY! Perception is . . . for lack of a better description . . . a fuzzy, partially subjective opinion about reality, which may or may not be accurate.

I think we all can agree that Ford has been on the right track this past year. The Mustang and triplets are selling well and the much needed Edge will plug a hole in the CUV spot.

Right now, Ford needs the Edge to have a flawless launch and an demonstrate an excellent safety results. Consumers have taken notice and are learning that Toyota and Honda have serious problems with some of their most popular cars and are willing to switch back to domestics. This is supported by the fact that Mercury/Lincoln dealerships are reporting over 50% of their new car customers are trading in their imports for their first Ford product.

I can only hope that Ford can deliver a Focus that looks different enough from its model it replaces.

As I said, look at where Ford has reversed its sales slide. In cars. Ford's drop in marketshare in part has to do with perception, but it also because of what our product lineup is (heavy emphasis on SUVs and the affect of gas prices.

Again, having a fire sale and giving away product will not reverse this. Maybe that's good business sense in your upscale neighbourhood :lol: but not everywhere else. Part of Ford's perception problem is poor resale. Slshing prices will not change this, you will only steal tomorrow's sales and weaken the company long term.

Then you two clowns came along and started calling me, what was it? A negatoid? A moron?

I think it was "fucking moron" and "buttplug". And the shoe still fits.

Hey, how do you like your Mustang? What was it, $15G? $16G?

Edited by OAC_Sparky