MKZ AWD VS FWD

Chief77

Does any one know the gear Ratio's of both the AWD and FWD MKZ, and how that will effect off the line acceleration, I know the AWD weighs 206 LBS or so more, but will the AWD LOWER gear Ratio's neutralize the weight difference and be quicker off the line with better 0-60 times, but less 1/4 mile times.

Chief

Edited by Chief77

this is all I know:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthr...;highlight=edge

2007 MKZ (formerly Zephyr) Overall Gear Ratios (transmission x final drive)

1st 14.4

2nd 8.2

3rd 5.4

4th 4.0

5th 3.0

6th 2.4

FWD 3,410 pounds, EPA ratings 19 / 27

AWD weight not given, EPA ratings 18 / 26

2007 Edge FWD Overall Gear Ratios (transmission x final drive) :

1st 12.4

2nd 8.0

3rd 5.1

4th 3.9

5th 2.8

6th 2.1

2007 Edge AWD Overall Gear Ratios (transmission x final drive) :

1st 14.2

2nd 9.1

3rd 5.8

4th 4.5

5th 3.2

6th 2.3

Igor

Does any one know the gear Ratio's of both the AWD and FWD MKZ, and how that will effect off the line acceleration, I know the AWD weighs 206 LBS or so more, but will the AWD LOWER gear Ratio's neutralize the weight difference and be quicker off the line with better 0-60 times, but less 1/4 mile times.

Chief

if you notice above, there are not separate gear ratios for the FWD and AWD MKZ - this is either the limitation of my source, or simply - they have the same gear ratios....

and if it does have lower gear ratios, than you could very well expect identical, if not better performance numbers from the AWD MKZ.

Igor

Edited by igor

Igor so it sounds like basically the MKZ AWD and FWD will have the same gear Ratio's,

I really see no reason Lincoln would hold those numbers back and release the other's

so the FWD should be a little faster say 6.7 to 7.0 or so without creating a big debate.

Chief

Thanks, by the way just served overseas for 6 years and returning back to the

states in Nov, and ordered a fully loaded AWD MKZ for 32,500.00 from OSMC

• 2 weeks later...
Igor so it sounds like basically the MKZ AWD and FWD will have the same gear Ratio's,

I really see no reason Lincoln would hold those numbers back and release the other's

so the FWD should be a little faster say 6.7 to 7.0 or so without creating a big debate.

Chief

Thanks, by the way just served overseas for 6 years and returning back to the

states in Nov, and ordered a fully loaded AWD MKZ for 32,500.00 from OSMC

Help me understand this.....you are saying that the FWD is going to be faster than the AWD??? Please let me know....I am about to order next week!!! Thanks!

Help me understand this.....you are saying that the FWD is going to be faster than the AWD??? Please let me know....I am about to order next week!!! Thanks!

Thats the question if the gear ratio's are the same, then the FWD weighing around 200

pounds less will be faster maybe .5 or so 0-60

ordered a fully loaded AWD MKZ for 32,500.00 from OSMC

That is a really good deal---about "A Plan" price. My other half is deployed right now and he is going to order our MKZ over there (ordering next week through OSMC).....we are looking at 29,000 full loaded minus AWD. We get Ford A-Plan pricing already, but they said they would give us whatever is better.

I can't decide if I want AWD or not!?!?! I better make up my mind real quick. All I can think of is draw backs...worst fuel mileage, slower, etc. Doesn't the FWD model come with traction control anyways???

That is a really good deal---about "A Plan" price. My other half is deployed right now and he is going to order our MKZ over there (ordering next week through OSMC).....we are looking at 29,000 full loaded minus AWD. We get Ford A-Plan pricing already, but they said they would give us whatever is better.

I can't decide if I want AWD or not!?!?! I better make up my mind real quick. All I can think of is draw backs...worst fuel mileage, slower, etc. Doesn't the FWD model come with traction control anyways???

All traction control does is reduce engine power and or apply brake to spinning wheel!

Will not help you get out of snow or mud!

I have it on my LS and I turn it off if I am a bit stuck!

When I lived in Michigan I had a 99 Sable 3.0 DOHC and I had no problem in the snow....even with no traction control or AWD.

I now live in New Mexico (short term) and I really cannot justify getting AWD, even though I will soon be in Michigan. I guess because I didn't have it before means I don't have to have it now. Get my drift??

I drove and reviewed the MKZ AWD today--see separate thread. On the FWD vs. AWD question, I'd go for AWD if you like to get on the power much. It enables you to jump on the gas at pretty much any time. In a FWD car with this much power, you'll burn some rubber if you get on the gas coming out of a turn.

For simple winter traction good winter tires are probably a better solution, as they also help with cornering and stopping.