Record U.S. Trade Gap Fails to Spark Clamor for Protectionism

06StangAwesomecar

People need to contact there Senators about this.

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. trade deficit and Chinese trade surplus are both at record levels, creating what appear to be ripe conditions for U.S. lawmakers facing re-election to impose sanctions on China for failing to let its currency appreciate faster.

Except that it isn't going to happen.

Lawmakers may not even vote this year on the principal China sanctions measure sponsored by Senators Charles Schumer of New York and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina to slap a 27.5 percent duty on Chinese imports. ``I suspect there will not be a vote,'' Max Baucus, the senior Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, said in an interview yesterday in Washington.

In a separate move, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson picked his top China aide, Deborah Lehr, who helped negotiate China's accession to the World Trade Organization and is a former director of Asian affairs at the National Security Council, said people familiar with her recruitment. Paulson is relegating the yuan issue to just one of several measures he anticipates will rebalance trade between the two nations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

``It's no secret why China does so well in the game of international trade,'' Ohio Democratic Rep. Sherrod Brown, 53, said in a statement yesterday reacting to the trade figures. ``They cheat. And we let them.''

That's they most pointed and direct comment I've heard in a long time, but who cares....Walmart has DVD players on for 20.99!!! :doh:

(that's sarcasm by the way) :happy feet:

That is a tough row to hoe Wallflower. Electronics is impossible as are most textiles. Maybe we can get a sticky area or board dedicated to American made alternatives ??

Yeah, it is, but you have to start somewhere. I spent a long time looking for casual shoes and finally settled on a nice pair of Red Wings. Not the most stylish, but stylish enough. Next I'm buying dress shoes. I was hoping for Cape shoes, but they have since moved overseas. It looks like Allen Edmonds at $200 plus per pair. If the frame of mind in this country would swing more towards considering where our dollar goes it could really make an impact over time. We didn't get to where we are overnight and it won't change overnight and probably won't ever. I refuse to shake my head in disgust at people driving "foreign" cars (yes a Mexican Fusion is better than a Kentucky Camry, for now) without at least making an effort to support my friends and neighbors. Do I have goods in and around my home made in some cheap, third world country? Absolutely.

Yes, our foreign content has gone up, but I don't blame anyone for that but the American public. If they weren't so receptive to the foreign competition that is competing unfairly we wouldn't be cutting costs anywhere possible. I really feel for those at the ACH plants. I would highly encourage them to shake the hand of the next person they see driving a Honduh or a Kia and thank them for helping put them out of a job.

Yeah, it is, but you have to start somewhere. I spent a long time looking for casual shoes and finally settled on a nice pair of Red Wings. Not the most stylish, but stylish enough. Next I'm buying dress shoes. I was hoping for Cape shoes, but they have since moved overseas. It looks like Allen Edmonds at $200 plus per pair. If the frame of mind in this country would swing more towards considering where our dollar goes it could really make an impact over time. We didn't get to where we are overnight and it won't change overnight and probably won't ever. I refuse to shake my head in disgust at people driving "foreign" cars (yes a Mexican Fusion is better than a Kentucky Camry, for now) without at least making an effort to support my friends and neighbors. Do I have goods in and around my home made in some cheap, third world country? Absolutely.

Yes, our foreign content has gone up, but I don't blame anyone for that but the American public. If they weren't so receptive to the foreign competition that is competing unfairly we wouldn't be cutting costs anywhere possible. I really feel for those at the ACH plants. I would highly encourage them to shake the hand of the next person they see driving a Honduh or a Kia and thank them for helping put them out of a job.

The fact is that most working people make less than most of us here (those of us that post in these forums), and are working in situtation where it's absolutely impossible for their pay to come up to your level. Not only that, but the vast majority of working people, blue collar and white collar, pay more for their medical coverage, and have 401K's instead of an employer paid defined benefit pension plan. The result is that their take-home pay is even lower than just what their gross pay would have you conclude. Given that, they have a choice of either being receptive to lower cost goods, regardless of where they're made, or doing without. No way in hell can most working people afford to pay $200 for a pair of dress shoes, regardless of whether they're trying to support "Made In America" or trying to make a statement.

Like a lot of other GM, Ford, and Chrysler hourly people (and I'm taking a stab at it that you're hourly), you're under the misconception that you're on par with most working people. You're not. You're way the hell ahead of about 90% to 95%, white collar and clue collar included. I went through my Outlook address book, and I personally know at least two dozen college graduate white collar professionals, that once you takeout their 401K deductions and their monthly medical premium copays, take home a hell of a lot less than most Big Three hourly employees (those with over three years seniority). No one's mindset is going to change when they can't make ends meet as it is.