2005 Nav. Soft Spongy Brakes

I spent the weekend putting on rotors and pads on my 05 Nav. The Nav stops ok no rattling or squeaking. Before the install, I had a slight vibration on the steering wheel when braking downhill. No more of that.

The only issue is when I brake. It feels very soft and spongy. I can't get that sharp fast stop. I have the original brake fluid in it. Could it be the old  fluid thats causing this soft spongy feeling?

Thanks!

So I had the brake fluid flushed out after the pads and rotor were changed. Hoping it would fix the soft pedal I have been experiencing. The Nav obviously doesn't brake sharp like it should.
This all happened after I changed the rotors and pads. Just doesn't feel right. What could it be? Master cylinder maybe?

If I had bled all the brake lines to assure no air in the hydraulic lines I would verify no hydraulic leaks, verify all the floating calipers float freely and the rotors properly torqued and not warped.  If nothing found I would go to a trusted brake shop.  —just my $0.02 worth — value at least $0.01 after tax — 

21 hours ago, Groverson said:

So I had the brake fluid flushed out after the pads and rotor were changed. Hoping it would fix the soft pedal I have been experiencing. The Nav obviously doesn't brake sharp like it should.
This all happened after I changed the rotors and pads. Just doesn't feel right. What could it be? Master cylinder maybe?

There is a little bit of loss of pedal feel/stopping distance before the pads are burnished to the rotors.

When the brakes were bled, did they do the ABS service bleed as well as conventional bleed? Sometimes pushing caliper pistons back causes debris from the calipers to enter the master or abs and it can cause a soft pedal. Sometimes pumping the pedal through the whole master travel can damage the master as it has debris/corrosion that is usually not touched. But I wouldn't hammer a master in it yet...

Do all caliper pins move free and lubed properly with XG-3-A? Are the pad perches clean and lubed with XG-3-A so the pad smoothly travels on the perch? 

On the front, there is an inboard and an outboard pad. Do you have the inboard pad (two humps on top) on the inboard side on *both* fronts and the non-humped on the outside? 

Take all four wheels off and have someone press, then release the pedal. Watch for move-back of the caliper. It should release the pad, but not cause a gap between the pad and rotor or pad and caliper. Sometimes when you push the caliper back the seals will 'take a set' and pull the caliper back from the pads. The only fix there is caliper replacement.

If everything looks ok thus far, you should consider master replacement.