Pro Trailer Backup Assist Won't Work For Me

09KR0058

Although I've been towing trailers for a very long time, I was looking forward to playing around with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist feature on my new 2020 F150 Limited.  Unfortunately, when I went to set it up, I found it just won't work for me.  The checker box sticker has to be placed between 7 - 22 inches from the center of the ball mount.  The surge brake controller on my tandem axle boat trailer is in the way as shown in the picture below.  Has anyone else run into this situation?  Is there any way around it?

Funny thing is that in the manual and setup guide, they don't reference any boat trailers other than the short stubby ones used for a single PWC.

IMG_4698.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think you could weld or bolt a flat plate on the tongue just aft of the brake box, sticking out the side far enough for the camera to see the sticker. I don't have my truck yet (still to be built) but from watching the Ford video, it seems you can specify the distance and side offset when you are setting up.

1 hour ago, OffBalance said:

I think you could weld or bolt a flat plate on the tongue just aft of the brake box, sticking out the side far enough for the camera to see the sticker. I don't have my truck yet (still to be built) but from watching the Ford video, it seems you can specify the distance and side offset when you are setting up.

That was the common thread in the answers I received on other Ford/F150 forums.  This isn't a big deal for me, and really not worth all that effort, as I've been towing boat trailers since my early 20's.  It just looks like it would be fun to play with but not something I would use after that initial trial run.

Its just a little frustrating that a feature so hyped by Ford has such limited use in the real world.  I don't believe I've ever seen a boat trailer where you can actually mount that sticker within the required camera range.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, OffBalance said:

Will it work when vertical? If there is any play in the 7 to 22" capability, will it fit here? You might try temporarily taping it in place to see what happens.

According to the setup guide it has to be horizontal, which makes sense, to provide depth perception.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update everyone on the setup.  Based on posts in other forums, I formed a piece of aluminum plate and got the sticker installed.

I have to admit I only thought I'd use it a couple times but I love this feature!  Use it every time now.

IMG_4755.jpg

Edited by 09KR0058
Update