Trade in Raptor for Aviator Black Label GT?

DrBabbitt

12 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

This is so true!  I find that it is so smooth and quiet you can't tell you're speeding it feels like you're standing still no matter how fast you're going. 

Yep... I use the cruise control a lot more than usual in the Aviator GT to help keep my speed in check!

Edited by CoolScoop

13 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

My pleasure!  Having been in your shoes hunting for info before a big purchase I definitely know the feeling of being unsatisfied at all the reviews out there.  Maybe I will start my own Youtube channel one day and post my own reviews.

Let me clarify: 

Whenever you start the vehicle, by default, the drive mode reverts to "Normal" mode (regardless of whatever mode you had it in before as this resets every ignition cycle).  When in Normal mode, IF the battery is charged (either partially or fully) it will generally try to operate on only electric power (EV) only to maximize efficiency and will stay in EV until the battery is depleted then it will switch to hybrid.  There are a couple of exceptions I've noted: 1. if you push the accelerator hard/quickly or floor it, the engine will come on immediately to give you a performance boost;  2. If it is really cold outside and it can't meet the demand for cabin heat on just electric alone (or you turn on max defrost) the engine will come on for several minutes to warm up the engine coolant and provide additional cabin heat.  Once the battery is depleted it will operate in hybrid mode, but understand that battery is never fully depleted it always keeps a certain "reserve charge" and does charge the battery while you're driving in hybrid mode both using the engine and regenerative braking.  Theoretically you could never plug in the vehicle to charge up the battery and it will operate like any other regular hybrid vehicle and as long as you have gas in the tank it will run just fine. 

Conserve mode:  Works exactly same as Normal, if there is charge in the battery it will operate in EV until depleted and then switch to hybrid.  The only difference with conserve is it will limit the acceleration a bit and adjust the transmission shifting slightly to supposedly give you a bit better gas mileage.  (I haven't noticed any measurable difference myself)

Slippery & Deep Conditions modes:  Engine comes on and stays on, it operates in hybrid regardless of the battery's state of charge.  In Deep conditions mode it will also raise the air suspension a few inches to give you more ground clearance. 

PureEV:  This mode is only available if the battery has some charge and your EV range is greater than 0 km/0mi DTE.  It basically will keep it operating in EV until your EV range drops to 0km/0mi then it switches to Normal mode and will operate as hybrid (PureEV mode actually disappears from the screen after).  The difference between PureEV and Normal is that when in PureEV it will not engage the engine right away if you accelerate hard (see exception #1 above) instead a message will pop up in the gauge cluster saying "Please press OK to enable engine".  Exception 2 will still apply for extreme cold, it will turn on the engine automatically to supplement the cabin heat and then a message pops up saying: "Engine enabled for system performance" and the power flow screen will say: Engine On due to: Engine Cold, Climate Setting. 

PreserveEV:  In this mode the engine is always on (it doesn't even turn off during decelerating or braking) and only the engine is providing drive power to the wheels because the electric motor is now acting as a generator to recharge the battery.

Excite Mode:  Engine comes on and stays on, it will operate in hybrid regardless of the battery's state of charge.  This is where you are guaranteed to get your full 494HP and 630lb/ft of torque as it will always give you the combined drive power of both the engine and electric motor at the same time.  Believe me you feel it.  Accelerator response is much more rapid and it will upshift at higher rpms to give you the sporty performance.  Ironically I noticed that while Excite mode is worse for gas mileage, it is much better at recharging the battery than PerserveEV mode, especially if you downshift manually with the paddle shifters while decelerating and keep the engine rpm higher.  I guess it's because the higher the engine rpm the faster the electric motor spins in sync to regenerate more power.

Let me assure you that regardless of whether it is driving on EV only or in hybrid there is always plenty of power, you will not be disappointed.  The electric motor is powerful and because it's situated in tandem with the engine right in front of the torque converter you get the same mechanical advantage of the 10 speed transmission with just the electric motor.  (see my previous posts I put up photos of the cutaway of the 2020 Explorer from the 2019 Toronto Auto show showing the hybrid powertrain or PM me and I can send them to you.)  I have no complaints about the EV performance, it accelerates just fine (although at bit slower than in hybrid) and I can get up to 130km/h (80mph) on the highway no problem in EV mode.   There is a really nice screen available on the center touchscreen called "Power Flow" that has an animation of the vehicle, engine, and battery which shows you exactly what is happening at all times: whether the engine is on or not (and why!), where the drive power is coming from, whether the AWD is powering all 4 wheels or just the rear wheels, etc.

This is great info, way more detailed than in the manual.  It even clarified a few things I've been wondering about with mine... thanks!!!

Edited by CoolScoop