Sign in to follow this  
Earthshine

Pension

Does anyone know if there is any reason to choose a particular month or number of years before retiring early (essentially quitting as I’m not retirement age)? For example would it make a big difference if you chose after an anniversary? This is for those choosing to retire before 30 years anniversary (so not eligible for full retiree benefits) 

I know I can get a lump sum if I leave early, invest it on my own and put a family member down as a beneficiary. If I stay until 30 years, I can’t lists. Beneficiary until I retire 

Wow. Quite a bit here. As a salaried retiree, some of this may not apply to UAW retirees. I found HR online retirement calculators most helpful. You can run a number of "what if" scenarios. When I did retire, calculations were within a dollar a month in benefits. Age of employee, beneficiary all make a difference in the calculation. If you are UAW, try running some of this by the benefits rep. Some of those folks were very knowledgeable. From a non UAW guy, this is high praise.