Utah switches to Dodge Chargers

Blue Oval Staff

Now I know I can see even more of these ungodly beasts on the roads out here. I am from Utah, and I've noticed a lot of the local police departments have been using the Charger. I really think that if Ford wants to maintain their police market, updates to the crown vic are mandetory.

But that really goes without saying... it (the crown vic) is ancient and it's no wonder that these local departments, and now the UHP, are switching.

Now I know I can see even more of these ungodly beasts on the roads out here. I am from Utah, and I've noticed a lot of the local police departments have been using the Charger. I really think that if Ford wants to maintain their police market, updates to the crown vic are mandetory.

But that really goes without saying... it (the crown vic) is ancient and it's no wonder that these local departments, and now the UHP, are switching.

Personally, I think this was tragedy in the making ever since Ford inadvertently monopolized the market after Chevy and Dodge bowed out. For years, cops have been requesting more power, safety, and handling. Ford answered each year with an F-U and sold the product essentially unchanged since the early 90's with the platform dating back to the 70s. Just looking at the current Vic, it has not even undergone a major appearance update since 1998 (that's almost 10 years now). Oddly enough, that was only 2 years after last RWD Caprice/Impala was dropped. But then again, why should they change when they know you HAVE to buy it and they need it for quick and easy cash to stay afloat?

I can forsee a lot more Departments defecting to Dodge and probably the next Impala if they really reintroduce it as a RWD. The piss-poor Department-Ford relationship has left a bad taste in the mouths of many. Even if Ford does come back out with a Charger fighting CVPI, it's still gonna take alot of wooing and cheaper priced products in order to get the Departments back. The only Departments that I can see sticking with the CVPI until the bitter end would be your larger departments due to the cost of buying all new equipment (i.e. cages, gun racks, prisoner seat buckets, etc).

But even right now, the cost of a Vic vs a Hemi-Charger is only $200. So, do the math. Old frame, engine, styled car or new better handling, better powered, better braking, better in almost anything but trunk space car for a mere $200 more? Hmmm. Btw, I got my $$$ stats from the Texas state contract bids.

Personally our department is swapping to the Chargers also. IMO it's a HUGE improvement over my PI.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I know nothing about the platform on which the Charger rides. Is it REALLY such a vast improvement over the CV? I ask this because it sounds as though the big selling point is the engine and it's performance, not anything else. Of course, the CV looks old and not attractively so. I agree that they have stood pat and just sold the cars as they are. I imagine some improvements have been made, but nothing that would make them that much better. That's my opinon as I know nothing about that subject either. Hah! I'm just speaking out because police cars interest me. They, like taxi cabs, get the hardest use on the planet and that's where Ford must be doing something right. Durability has been proven. Now, a larger more fuel efficient engine and a more stylish package would enhance the thing greatly. This I know about from crusing this website because it's a subject that has been hammered home, but to no avail.

This topic has come up before on here, and I will agree, the CVPI needs some major updating. However, the Dodge Charger will never be a major player in the police field. First off, the idiotic styling of the roof is a safety issue with regard to getting people in and out of the back seat. The fact that this car looks like an updated version of every cheap'70's MoPar theme aside, the next issue would be with Chrysler's abysmal reliability. I know 6 people personally with Chargers and Chrysler 300's - all of whom have had problems with the braking and transmissions. 5 of the 6 say they will never buy a Chrysler product ever again.

Historically, law enforcement has unoffically split the duties between the "Big 3". All of the police package cars have had strong and weak points over the years. As a veteran officer, I preferred Chevrolets over the Fords or Plymouths, due to their performance and handling. However, the Chevys were less comfortable and definitely didn't ride as well as the Fords, nor did they corner as well as the Plymouths. By the late '90's, all that was out there seriously was the Crown Vic. Ford should have capitalized on the absence of a Dodge or Chevy with the CVPI. They should have, at very least, put the engine from the Lincoln Mark VIII or Continental in the CVPI and then beefed up the handling.

I've driven the Charger and the 300 and can say that the real area of strength is with straight line accelleration. They fall far short of the Crown Vic elsewhere. I've said this before. What Ford should worry about here is the re-introduction of a rear drive Impala with one of the Vortec truck engines shoved into it. Such a car will steal CVPI sales severely and will kill the Charger.

I know 6 people personally with Chargers and Chrysler 300's - all of whom have had problems with the braking and transmissions. 5 of the 6 say they will never buy a Chrysler product ever again.

I'm curious what problems they've had exactly. If 6 out of 6 people are having brake and transmission problems, that's an astounding 100% (using your cross sampling).

I run an LX site with almost 9,000 members and I don't see a plethora of brake or trans problems (or major problems as a whole). I'm curious what your friend's problems were so I can share them. Please also let me know the year, model and engine of each of the 6 affected vehicles.

Thanks.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I'm curious what problems they've had exactly. If 6 out of 6 people are having brake and transmission problems, that's an astounding 100% (using your cross sampling).

I run an LX site with almost 9,000 members and I don't see a plethora of brake or trans problems (or major problems as a whole). I'm curious what your friend's problems were so I can share them. Please also let me know the year, model and engine of each of the 6 affected vehicles.

Thanks.

Our Department installer, who also happens to be a DPS Trooper, said that he had also heard of similar issues of Chargers simply falling apart as they went down the road. Everything from brake fires/failure (a known problem with the Intrepids) to body panels and axles falling off. Granted this guy whole heartedly supports the CVs but even he said that most of the issues that "few" people are refering to sound more like other old warhorses (cause we know older cops hate change) who don't want to learn a new car and half-ass their new installs.

From a objective stand point, I have been tasks by my Chief to find any validity to these claims, but have not found any substance to them. Not even so much as a recall yet.

I will say this though, a lot of people are claiming the Charger can't take as much abuse as the CVPIs. But from my stand point if you're out there jumping curbs and slamming into people with your patrol car, you'd better expect to get some days for your off-roading escapades.

On a side note, Oregon, Nevada, and Utah state troopers have begun swapping their fleet to Chargers. Others who have purchased Chargers are Illinios, Georgia, and North Carolina. TX DPS has about 20 for testing, though my DPS friend says that the only thing bad thus far is the trunk room. He even says that Dodge has thrown in handy little wiring features that help out in keeping electrical equipment installs hassle free and clean. His biggest gripe is...you guessed it....trying to devise ways of installing new equipment in new interior.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

NYPD has a fleet of Chargers, some V-6 and some HEMI models. Have had them for a few months. The word is that they have done quite well for them, without all the complaints I'm hearing on this board. They are looking at replacing at least part of their sizeable fleet with Chargers in the next year or so.