Hello from Naples, FL

danpass

New Yorker, in Naples, as a refugee from Miami lol

My very first car was a 1980 Mercury Capri (fox body).

Currently a 2017 Focus ST driver.

I originally ordered a 2021 Mach 1 HP in July 2021, was assigned a VIN, then had my order cancelled (anyone know what legal recourse there is for having a VIN issued but not built?)

Despite Ford's COMPLETE lack of communication, nothing about why it was cancelled [beyond 'because ... parts'], not interested in working with me to alter the order to get it built, leaving it to the dealer to give me the bad news ..... NOTHING! ...... I re-ordered sorta the same spec 2022 (10hp less, so not exactly the same spec)

-

Edited by danpass

Welcome to the forum.

I think you have a misconception about the process.  There is no recourse for not having a vehicle built except to order a new one.  Whether you have a vin or not doesn’t matter.  Understand that you didn’t buy a vehicle from Ford (that’s actually illegal in almost every state) - you bought it from a dealer.  The dealer is the one who owes you the communication - they have access to all of Ford’s internal tracking systems.  If it was assigned a VIN but never got built then it was a parts issue, just like every other vehicle and every other mfr is dealing with right now.  Some super duty orders are 8 months old.  It totally sucks but there isn’t much that can be done except be patient or try to find one in stock if that’s possible.

See if your dealer can get the Ford zone rep to change your order to priority 2.  They’ve been doing that for old super duty orders.  Have them explain what happened to your 2021 order.  That should help a lot.

• Like 1

the dealer was blown away by the fact that a VIN was issued but not built, that a VIN isn't issued if they don't plan to build it.

but still, no consideration whatsoever from Ford?  They emailed me direct with order confirmation, VIN, anticipated build dates but nothing about having to cancel, why it was cancelled, no 'sorry'.  Heck, not even an 'eat crap, we met our goal and balanced you out' letter.

-

Edited by danpass

39 minutes ago, danpass said:

the dealer was blown away by the fact that a VIN was issued but not built, that a VIN isn't issued if they don't plan to build it.

but still, no consideration whatsoever from Ford?  They emailed me direct with order confirmation, VIN, anticipated build dates but nothing about having to cancel, why it was cancelled, no 'sorry'.  Heck, not even an 'eat crap, we met our goal and balanced you out' letter.

They’re never going to give reasons - that’s all proprietary info,   They should have sent an email saying it was cancelled or at least to contact your dealer, but ultimately you have to see the dealer anyway.  

Because you got a VIN, Ford thought it would be able to build your vehicle.  What appears to be happening is JIT inventory is not showing up on time as expected causing scheduled builds to be postponed.  Ford doesn’t know when this will happen or which builds will be affected.  It all goes back to supply chain problems.  And I’m quite sure that Ford’s systems and processes are not built to handle these issues because they’ve never happened before on this scale.

I guarantee you they didn’t cancel your order because they met a goal.  It was lack of parts and/or workers.

• Like 1