2022 F-250 Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity

gcarson

Hi folks,

I'm looking to order a new 2022 F-250 Lariat with the 6.7 PowerStroke. I'm up and down hills all around me and occasionally haul antique tractors, so I was going to add the 3.55 electronic locking axle as well. My question is with the "F-250 Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity." From the build site, it says the only change would be an upgraded axle, and then your GCW magically goes from 23,500lbs to 30,000lbs. I guess I'm not understanding how this happens without adding stiffer springs. I absolutely do not want to make the ride any worse than it already will be. If the springs don't change, I would be interested in the package. If the package adds stiffer springs, then I think I will just pass. 

Can anyone confirm whether or not the springs change? Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it. 

Edited by gcarson

7 hours ago, gcarson said:

Hi folks,

I'm looking to order a new 2022 F-250 Lariat with the 6.7 PowerStroke. I'm up and down hills all around me and occasionally haul antique tractors, so I was going to add the 3.55 electronic locking axle as well. My question is with the "F-250 Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity." From the build site, it says the only change would be an upgraded axle, and then your GCW magically goes from 23,500lbs to 30,000lbs. I guess I'm not understanding how this happens without adding stiffer springs. I absolutely do not want to make the ride any worse than it already will be. If the springs don't change, I would be interested in the package. If the package adds stiffer springs, then I think I will just pass. 

Can anyone confirm whether or not the springs change? Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it. 

I had this package on my old truck. They have regular 250 springs and what I thought of as a “floater spring” I.e. the truck didn’t use it for normal driving until I put a load on the truck then it made contact with the floater spring. This helped a lot with the weight distribution and not making the rear end of my truck squat a lot. I compare this to my buddies truck without the high capacity package and his definitely squatted more, where as mine just sat level. 
As far as the axle goes, I was told that the “upgraded” axle is changed from  a sterling(normal 250) to a Dana axle(high capacity) which is the same axle that they use on the 350. I was also told that the Dana axle is more reliable and lasts longer (again I’m not an expert, just sharing what I’ve been told) 

I opted for the high capacity on my new build because I like knowing it’s there and the ride isn’t any rougher with the package. In all honesty I liked it better than my buddies under a load  (less bounce from the weight)

I hope this helps 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, Fred F-250 said:

I’ve also read that if you opt for the electronic 4.30 locker rear you get the Dana rear end regardless if you get the high capacity tow option. No expert here either, but sounded like the guys knew what they were talking about.

The 4.30 does get the Dana, but is only available with the Gas engines.