Towing options need assistance

RCorsa

About to pick up my new Malibu m240 with a triple axil trailer (around 11k pounds) My dealer said the top of the coupler is 24 inches from the top to the ground which sounds high to me. You may have seen on here but  I have a new f250 Shelby with the max tow package 3 inch rec (rated at 20k) but with the lift/tires the bottom edge is nearly 22 inches from the ground.   Photos attached 

I was thinking of getting one of the new gen y hitches with that shock system that is rated so well.  It has a tongue weight limit of 2700 and rated at 21k.  It can drop from 3 to 12 but based on what the dealer is telling me I would set it at 0 or maybe 3 which seems odd for a lifted f250.  

What am I missing here?  The only other thing I was thinking is adding an air suspension system but if the trailer is level it seems like the truck won’t squat as much?   

F1816B2C-1076-4DE4-AFC4-04BA340472CA.jpeg

306F133E-A242-4916-B869-931C2C811568.jpeg

Roughly speaking, the top of the ball needs to be at about the 24" top of the coupler dimension, give or take a little.  Based on the Gen Y specs (which they specify from the center of the opening) at a "0" setting the top of the ball would be at 23.5", or a little low.  Also, they show the best dampening to be at a 1500# - 2400# tongue weight, which may be more than your trailer has.

Ball mount inserts are normally specified from the TOP of the opening, so your starting point is 25". With a ball height from base to top of ball at roughly 3", I'd look for a 3" or so drop, so the top of the ball is at 25", minus sag once the 1000# weight is dropped on.

HRG

GH-1326-1.png

Edited by HotRunrGuy

Thanks for your help. You are absolutely on the money here. I spoke to a rep at gen y and they said for this application it wouldn’t work as well because I don’t have enough tongue weight.  They say you want the tongue weight between the numbers for optimal suspension. As such they recorded using an reducer to 2.5 and using the 16k flex hitch which has a tongue weight range of 1000-1700 for optimal suspension. They agreed I don’t need all the drop for this application but to ensure I can use it for all applications with shorter couplers they recommended getting the one with the 10 inch drop.

For once and specific to this product having too much hitch was a bad thing but the reviews are pretty amazing as I guess it reduces 90% of the energy at of the hitch making for a much more stable ride