A couple of things:

when the 4.6L 3V was released, on this site, pre database crash, there were comparisons made between the older 2V and the new 3V. The conclusion was that the new 3V had more compact heads than the outgoing 2V, and that the aluminum block of the 3V was also slightly, but not significantly, more compact than the 2V. Now, the difference was that the 3V had a more elaborate intake setup on top of the engine. So, it seems to me that, perhaps, the stopper here is indeed the intake. So, basically, if what we're reading here is true, Ford shelved the 3V 4.6L for the panthers because they were too cheap to design a low profile intake system for the 3V 4.6L. If that's true, all I can say is, WTF!

The Heads on the 4V 4.6L are indeed massive, but, given that the engine is a 90 degree V8, they tend to protrude out ot the sides more, and the only real clearence close call was the valve covers. Remember, when the sheetmetal was put together for this current Panther generation, the engines in them were OHV jobs that were compact in height and width. The 4V intake setup wasn't much more elaborate than the 2V setup, just with bigger tubes.

A 5.4L, with its longer cylinders, would be an even harder fit than the 4.6L, so I'm really not anticipating seeing such a beast from the factory. The only other thing that I can consider here is the following what if...

What if the intake setup for the 4.6L 3V really has to be as tall as it is and couldn't be designed to be shorter.

What if the process of making the 4.6L 3V fit required more than just one or two modifications to the front of the vehicle?

What if ford said, if we're going to have to modify things to get the 4.6L 3V into that vehicle, why not make the neccessary modifications to get the 5.4L 3V in there instead?

I mean, after all, the 5.4L 3V has proven in the F-150 that, though its a bit short on HP, its still a decent match for the 5.7L Hemi overall. If you're considering moding a car to get a 4.6L 3V into the car with a 6AT, why not try for the 5.4L 3V plus 6AT combo instead? It seems that PDs are willing to pay a bit of extra jack to get a HEMI, then they'd definitely do the same for a car that will still be 90% parts compatibile with its existing fleet.

And, considering the power differential, we know that the PD 4.6L 2V gets a slightly beefier tune than the Sport version of said engine available in civilian setups. So, is it really hard to imagine a 5.4L 3V tuned for say 320 HP and 375 lbs of torque? With its VCT and broad power band, it'd definitely give the HEMI a run for its money.

Look, I know its a what if, but, with the presence of this test mule, it seems POSSIBLE. I'm not saying probable.

And, considering the power differential, we know that the PD 4.6L 2V gets a slightly beefier tune than the Sport version of said engine available in civilian setups. So, is it really hard to imagine a 5.4L 3V tuned for say 320 HP and 375 lbs of torque? With its VCT and broad power band, it'd definitely give the HEMI a run for its money.

Interesting observations. I think your right about a 5.4. I think however, that the 6R wouldn't be up to a 5.4 with your torque specs. But the 4R100 ( or a 6R derived from it ) would be. And since that case used to fit in the mid 80s "panthers", I see no reason why not. As for the "power dome, well you know the easiest thing to change is sheetmetal... especially the hood and trunk lids...

Can someone tell me the big differance with the 3v 4.6 and the engine thats in the crown vics now the 4.6l 2v?

is there a spec sheet anywhere on the net where you can see the differences in performance etc? for all FORD engines?

that would be cool if there is ...

thanks

The 3V makes 300 hp in the Mustang GT, 292 hp in the Explorer. The 2v is only rated at 224 hp, non PI.

The 3V makes 300 hp in the Mustang GT, 292 hp in the Explorer. The 2v is only rated at 224 hp, non PI.

Um, all 2001+ cars are PI. The 224 has single exhaust which is why it is weak, the HPP and LX Sports have duals which is where the 239 hp comes from. The P71 cop cars have a larger airbox and 80MM MAF which is where the extra 11 hp comes from. Ford won't install this on the civilian cars from the factory, even though many customers order it through aftermarket, because it produces more 'engine' noise! It's like adding a K&N concical filter kit to the car. It only makes it a tad louder if that. I guess it upsets the old people :shrug: Well if the 3v is too tall why not raise the hood a bit like on the Mustangs to create some extra height for the motor. Shouldn't be too hard or obtrusive.

Um, all 2001+ cars are PI. The 224 has single exhaust which is why it is weak, the HPP and LX Sports have duals which is where the 239 hp comes from. The P71 cop cars have a larger airbox and 80MM MAF which is where the extra 11 hp comes from. Ford won't install this on the civilian cars from the factory, even though many customers order it through aftermarket, because it produces more 'engine' noise! It's like adding a K&N concical filter kit to the car. It only makes it a tad louder if that. I guess it upsets the old people :shrug: Well if the 3v is too tall why not raise the hood a bit like on the Mustangs to create some extra height for the motor. Shouldn't be too hard or obtrusive.

Rember the stang has a much lower profile than the Vic. The OLD 4.2V with the aluminum intake back mounted T.V with the Air box it is about as tall as the 3V. Even at the that there is still a good 2-3" above the engine. The Mule is proboly not a 3V it is some thing else.

The 3V should fit under hood of the CV with no difficulties.

If there were clearance issues it would be with the front mounted T.V on the stangs 3V. But the hood bulge is set to the back of the hood not to the front where the T.V is located.

This I doubt it is a 3V mule, it is some thing else.

Matthew

Rember the stang has a much lower profile than the Vic. The OLD 4.2V with the aluminum intake back mounted T.V with the Air box it is about as tall as the 3V. Even at the that there is still a good 2-3" above the engine. The Mule is proboly not a 3V it is some thing else.

The 3V should fit under hood of the CV with no difficulties.

If there were clearance issues it would be with the front mounted T.V on the stangs 3V. But the hood bulge is set to the back of the hood not to the front where the T.V is located.

This I doubt it is a 3V mule, it is some thing else.

Matthew

maybe they Crammed a HEMI into it...?

The 3V makes 300 hp in the Mustang GT, 292 hp in the Explorer.

And the compression ratio is...? Riigghht... and you wonder about that kaching! NO SALE sound. :doh:

Gents, thats either a DOHC 5.4 ( maybe the old Navigator 5.4 with teh ZF6 auto :D ) or else, who knows...

That just might be a new 6280cc DOHC V8 as per my "hurricane" specs :happy feet: