WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE UAW??

ktpworker69

The uaw is exactly what the members of your local made it. You elected the people and the elected should be held accountable. How many showed up at all the meetings until the present economic situation some locals had little if ANY membership involvement. I know the UAW stood up for its membership at this last contract and kept retirees medical benefits intact unlike salaried employees on medicare who lost them and were given a pittance in return. You know why FORD did that. Because THEY COULD and do you think that if the uaw was not representing you Ford would have just left yours intact? No way. You may not agree with all decisions and if your reps are as you say are worthless, sorry, and pathetic you have no one to blame but yourself for letting it happen and saying or doing nothing. Take it from someone who worked both union and non union hourly and salaried. The union protects your job and rights and yes if they can help a member that is in trouble it is their DUTY to do so. If I was still hourly and represented by the uaw I would not have been forced into a disability retirement and had my medical cut off. I would be working still.

Our membership has shrunk...but we sit by and watch it wither away..our grandparents would be in the streets marching. we sit on our couches and watch it all go down like some shakespear play.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants to blame the UAW if something doesn't go there way. i.e. grievence was not filed because you think you were wronged but they decided you weren't. The sad thing is people don't realize how much better all the work enviroments are because of the union/big 3 deals. Before I got hired in last year I was making 9.50 an hour driving an hour to and from work for a shop that employed about 20 people. It wasn't very fun having the owner come in and berate you in front of everyone for something you screwed up. It wasn't fun only getting a 30 minute unpaid lunch for 8 hours or more of work. It wasn't fun seeing the revolving door of people go in and out of that place because the pay was crappy. An honest days work for a dishonest days pay. Yes there are a lot of differences between the old union and the new union. But it is still our union, its us that make it up. We have to stand up for ourselves and the union is the way to do it. You don't like something that has happened don't just stand there and :censored: go out and be active. Don't vote in the people that sell you down the river. And if someone starts to next election pick someone better. Or better yet run yourself. Take the darn classes your regional offers and start going to meetings. Don't just sit on your hands and do nothing. A better life is availible but you have to be able and willing to go out there and fight for it. You want to sit behind a screen name and :stirpot: all day on here but have you even been to 1/2 the meetings your local has had since you have been at your plant? The ones that :censored: about the union in my plant I haven't even seen at one meeting. I guess I am just rambling now but geez either BUCK UP or SHUT UP

KTPWORKER69,, :soapbox: What has made you so hatefull of the union, :baby: what have they NOT done for you to make you get on here and do nothing but run them down? I have had my share of beefs with the things that the union does, both local, and National. But at the end of the day I know that I am still better off having a union card in my pocket, than being some scab over at TOY or Honda. I had a brother in law that worked at honda for about 3 yrs. He never missed a day and busted he ass. :kissass: He thought at that time the $14./hr they were paying him was great, This is back when I was makeing about $19. But then he had a child and he took some time off and the next thing he knew he was FIRED... :doh: :gang: :soapbox: So do not sing the praises of non-union plants saying that they are as good as ours. :bowdown: IF you guys believe that so much get your asses down to the employment office and go to work there....

Listen fellow good workers you have never needed a union. Yes maybe when the old man was alive

and running the company but he was still paying the highest wages to his workers. Our union is

a joke !!! Let me ask a simple question you come to work do your job where is your union for

you ? Miss a few days take longer breaks complain about working hey here comes the union to

save the day union dollars hard at work!!!! To all you older folks the 4 walls that surround you

is not how a business operates in this day and age and your union adds to the insanity. Run your house like your

plant and get used to the streets boys and girls you are working in fantasy business say hello

to Mr roak and tatoo. Thats why your losing money yearly and your percentage of market

share is shrinking. So all you union die hards when they close your plant is your union going to

cut you a check???? Disagree with me all you want call me names like I see on the post but

the reality is you need a union to protect you because you don't know how to stand on your

own merits!!!!

Listen fellow good workers you have never needed a union. Yes maybe when the old man was alive

and running the company but he was still paying the highest wages to his workers. Our union is

a joke !!! Let me ask a simple question you come to work do your job where is your union for

you ? Miss a few days take longer breaks complain about working hey here comes the union to

save the day union dollars hard at work!!!! To all you older folks the 4 walls that surround you

is not how a business operates in this day and age and your union adds to the insanity. Run your house like your

plant and get used to the streets boys and girls you are working in fantasy business say hello

to Mr roak and tatoo. Thats why your losing money yearly and your percentage of market

share is shrinking. So all you union die hards when they close your plant is your union going to

cut you a check???? Disagree with me all you want call me names like I see on the post but

the reality is you need a union to protect you because you don't know how to stand on your

own merits!!!!

:redcard: You start out as a union brother/sister and then you go on to say "is your union" which gave you away fk head! Sit at your desk and collect your bonuses from the hard work of the blue collar. That is all you know how to do. Ford is starting to trim white collar dead weight so your turn is coming asshole!

:redcard: You start out as a union brother/sister and then you go on to say "is your union" which gave you away fk head! Sit at your desk and collect your bonuses from the hard work of the blue collar. That is all you know how to do. Ford is starting to trim white collar dead weight so your turn is coming asshole!

Your mom must be proud of your mouth. I hope you don't have kids you should not kiss them goodnight. Point proven my friend you need a our union or you would be just bagging my fries!!!

Again asshole...." my friend you need a our union ".... :headscratch: ...you do not belong to the union. I don't have a mom....me and my dad share yours!! So get off of moms because I just got off of yours!

own merits!!!!

I am not a big pro union guy, but large companys, I believe a union is needed.

Why?

Because while the owner pays your salary from some remote place, he does not know you from Adam. You work instead for some guy in middle management who gets paid too...................and gets the same pay if you are great, he likes you, so he keeps you; or you are great, but he hates you, so he fires you.

When you deal with an owner on site, if you are great employee, this translates to his bottomline, so he/she is more inclined to overlook personality conflicts because of the profit, or savings you contribute to the company. But management get that same check regardless, lolol. You increasing the bottomline or savings does little or nothing for them, especially if they aren't receiving performance bonuses anyway. So you could be Superman, but if they don't like you, you got one hell of a life. This has been born out by the sexual harrasement suits brought against big manufacturers. Now, I will be the first to state that MANY of them were smoke and mirrors. But I will also be the first to say, NOT ALL OF THEM.

And who usually perpertrated this sexual harrassment? Why, middle management of course, lolol. For the very same reason they could care less about keeping a great employee who they didn't like, they will keep a useless employee who does nothing for the company; BUT WILL DO SOMETHING FOR THEM, lololololol. This is exactly why unions are very important in huge companys where owners are not hands on for almost all the employees!!!!!!

And as far as unions not taking care of you and not being needed Westmont, have you tried to convince the Japanese Autoworker of that little tidbit? Seems their union got them somewhere around a 20,000 buck bonus this year. And guess what!!!!! Most of that cash was made in the USA, with high probability at least 50% of it coming from cars built here, by Americans. How much of a bonus did the American workers get for building Japanese cards???? I am sure not anywhere near 20,000 bucks, but oh yeah, I forgot, THEY ARE NOT UNIONIZED!!!!!!

I rest my case.

Why?

Because while the owner pays your salary from some remote place, he does not know you from Adam. You work instead for some guy in middle management who gets paid too...................and gets the same pay if you are great, he likes you, so he keeps you; or you are great, but he hates you, so he fires you.

When you deal with an owner on site, if you are great employee, this translates to his bottomline, so he/she is more inclined to overlook personality conflicts because of the profit, or savings you contribute to the company. But management get that same check regardless, lolol. You increasing the bottomline or savings does little or nothing for them, especially if they aren't receiving performance bonuses anyway. So you could be Superman, but if they don't like you, you got one hell of a life. This has been born out by the sexual harrasement suits brought against big manufacturers. Now, I will be the first to state that MANY of them were smoke and mirrors. But I will also be the first to say, NOT ALL OF THEM.

And who usually perpertrated this sexual harrassment? Why, middle management of course, lolol. For the very same reason they could care less about keeping a great employee who they didn't like, they will keep a useless employee who does nothing for the company; BUT WILL DO SOMETHING FOR THEM, lololololol. This is exactly why unions are very important in huge companys where owners are not hands on for almost all the employees!!!!!!

And as far as unions not taking care of you and not being needed Westmont, have you tried to convince the Japanese Autoworker of that little tidbit? Seems their union got them somewhere around a 20,000 buck bonus this year. And guess what!!!!! Most of that cash was made in the USA, with high probability at least 50% of it coming from cars built here, by Americans. How much of a bonus did the American workers get for building Japanese cards???? I am sure not anywhere near 20,000 bucks, but oh yeah, I forgot, THEY ARE NOT UNIONIZED!!!!!!

I rest my case.

Why?

I rest my case.

What bonus are you talking about? The only jap plant to have a union is nummi plant in California

that was a GM plant shut down by GM in 1984 and reopened by TOYOTA and all union contracts

reopened and honored . Toyota tacoma UAW built truck. As for trans plant workers needing or

wanting a union the UAW is invited in every year to organize and voted down every year by

the workers!!!!! Fact ! Now as my company is closing plants down offering buyouts and moving

work to Mexico! Question is why would you vote a union in when all they are doing is giving the workers hard fought rights back to the company? 15000 parts make up a car or truck we use to have % of american parts vs

foreign parts posters we have not had those in many years because the % of foreign parts in

union built vehicles is well over 50%. As for your statement regarding workers liked or disliked

a good worker will always be kept around because they work and work well keeping there

bosses looking good regardless if the shop is union or not. Listen kids the UAW is a business they are

losing membership like we all are losing market share. That's why a few years ago the UAW took

75/95 million out of the strike fund and invested it into themselves not us to ensure their survival

so when we shrink beyond recognition they will change their name to ULU United Labors Union

thats the only way for them to grow. FORD and the UAW lack of planning does not constitute a

emergency on my watch.

What bonus are you talking about? The only jap plant to have a union is nummi plant in California

that was a GM plant shut down by GM in 1984 and reopened by TOYOTA and all union contracts

reopened and honored . Toyota tacoma UAW built truck. As for trans plant workers needing or

wanting a union the UAW is invited in every year to organize and voted down every year by

the workers!!!!! Fact ! Now as my company is closing plants down offering buyouts and moving

work to Mexico! Question is why would you vote a union in when all they are doing is giving the workers hard fought rights back to the company? 15000 parts make up a car or truck we use to have % of american parts vs

foreign parts posters we have not had those in many years because the % of foreign parts in

union built vehicles is well over 50%. As for your statement regarding workers liked or disliked

a good worker will always be kept around because they work and work well keeping there

bosses looking good regardless if the shop is union or not. Listen kids the UAW is a business they are

losing membership like we all are losing market share. That's why a few years ago the UAW took

75/95 million out of the strike fund and invested it into themselves not us to ensure their survival

so when we shrink beyond recognition they will change their name to ULU United Labors Union

thats the only way for them to grow. FORD and the UAW lack of planning does not constitute a

emergency on my watch.

quit talking like you are a uaw member sht lips!! :fan:

Westmont, where are you getting your facts? You make some bold statements that the Union is giving up jobs to other country's. Shouldn't you say that our Government is giving them up. I think your train of thought has steered off the right track. Until our Country starts taking care of its own, until our kids have a right to go to school of choice and get a education that they all deserve with out any prejudices and with not having their parents re-mortgage their homes to pay for it. Until we can enter a Hospital with out the worry of insurance, our jobs will continue to decline.

One of the biggest expenses for any company is health care. One of our (parents) biggest expenses is our kids education. Take both of these out of the equation and we wouldn't even see your type of posts. Its not how much an hour we as auto workers make, its how much it costs to keep us healthy.

We need a National Health Care system and we need to have a National Education system. We need to DUMP NAFTA and we need to fight for what we have left. Make everything equal and we can play ball again.

These are just my opinions. I really think they would be a good start. I have family that live in other country's and its working very well for them. The horror story's we hear about Hospitals are not founded at all. And their kids get to go to any college they chose at no cost. Wow what a concept, take care of your own people and you take care of your Country.

We need to stop fighting each other and look at the Big pitcher. Getting rid of unions is not the answer, looking at what they have fought for, what they have gave up and how we have reaped the benefits of their battles, their sweet, blood and tears and it should make you ashamed of what you've said. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, just Google some history on the Auto Worker.

The Unionist

Westmont, where are you getting your facts? You make some bold statements that the Union is giving up jobs to other country's. Shouldn't you say that our Government is giving them up. I think your train of thought has steered off the right track. Until our Country starts taking care of its own, until our kids have a right to go to school of choice and get a education that they all deserve with out any prejudices and with not having their parents re-mortgage their homes to pay for it. Until we can enter a Hospital with out the worry of insurance, our jobs will continue to decline.

One of the biggest expenses for any company is health care. One of our (parents) biggest expenses is our kids education. Take both of these out of the equation and we wouldn't even see your type of posts. Its not how much an hour we as auto workers make, its how much it costs to keep us healthy.

We need a National Health Care system and we need to have a National Education system. We need to DUMP NAFTA and we need to fight for what we have left. Make everything equal and we can play ball again.

These are just my opinions. I really think they would be a good start. I have family that live in other country's and its working very well for them. The horror story's we hear about Hospitals are not founded at all. And their kids get to go to any college they chose at no cost. Wow what a concept, take care of your own people and you take care of your Country.

We need to stop fighting each other and look at the Big pitcher. Getting rid of unions is not the answer, looking at what they have fought for, what they have gave up and how we have reaped the benefits of their battles, their sweet, blood and tears and it should make you ashamed of what you've said. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, just Google some history on the Auto Worker.

The Unionist

We have National Health Care in Canada, but we are bleeding manufacturing jobs as well. We pay for our own health care through taxes and we get a higher hourly rate and more vacation time. On the whole, you folks are ahead because the taxes are really crushing to us middle class. We have to pay for the poor as well as ourselves, and there is nobody minding the till, as it is all political. It is a mess. You do not want it.

What happened to the UAW? Well, they WON! After they won 30-and-out, there was not much left to do.

So very much like George W Bush and Iraq, there was no plan for after the victory. The Big 3 were forced to succumb to the UAW, designs were picked to create jobs - not consumer demands. and with that noose around the Big 3, the imports were ready to crack into the market and steal it. It took 30 years but the UAW allowed it and the customers didn't care, don't care, and ain't never gonna care about $30/hr and not even required to finish high school.

People used to say"I could never buy an import, not after Pearl Harbor and WW2", now they say" I could never buy a union product, not built by those lazy drunks"

The customer left and is not coming back anytime too soon

And NO ONE in the UAW leadership is doing anything to get a single car sold!

That's got to prove to you that the rank-and-file mean very little at Solidarity house on Jeffereson Ave

The UAW is still winning-- there will be a UAW long after the Big 3 are gone. Today, the UAW is a law firm, you are member for dues only.

Someday soon, some other lawyers are gonna ask the UAW to give each retiree and buyout ex-memeber a little piece of the strike fund-- and that will be a fun day

Today the UAW represents a $14/hr job, just look at Delphi hiring in Flint

What happened to the UAW? Well, they WON! After they won 30-and-out, there was not much left to do.

So very much like George W Bush and Iraq, there was no plan for after the victory. The Big 3 were forced to succumb to the UAW, designs were picked to create jobs - not consumer demands. and with that noose around the Big 3, the imports were ready to crack into the market and steal it. It took 30 years but the UAW allowed it and the customers didn't care, don't care, and ain't never gonna care about $30/hr and not even required to finish high school.

People used to say"I could never buy an import, not after Pearl Harbor and WW2", now they say" I could never buy a union product, not built by those lazy drunks"

The customer left and is not coming back anytime too soon

And NO ONE in the UAW leadership is doing anything to get a single car sold!

That's got to prove to you that the rank-and-file mean very little at Solidarity house on Jeffereson Ave

The UAW is still winning-- there will be a UAW long after the Big 3 are gone. Today, the UAW is a law firm, you are member for dues only.

Someday soon, some other lawyers are gonna ask the UAW to give each retiree and buyout ex-memeber a little piece of the strike fund-- and that will be a fun day

Today the UAW represents a $14/hr job, just look at Delphi hiring in Flint

Without the UAW you slaried fks would sht all over workers.....UAW stands for respect and dignity for all!! So take your UAW bashing and shove it up your a**! We are a thorn in your side because you can not do what you want and treat humans like you are better than they are. hope your kids and there kids pay tribute to the chineese when they run the world! I hope they do not lay down like you do ...you fk!

Of all the high paid manufacturing jobs, automotive assembly workers are the most efficient. An auto worker assembles one car per two shifts. If each of about 1200 workers were to get a dollar for every car that came off the line, they would be making more than they are now. Why are they trying to cut where they are already the most efficient? It is politics.

Ive had a good life so far because of the union 15 years and my dad 38 years before that.I think what has hurt the UAW the most is NON union plants toyota and mexico.

People say the UAW is weak because they allow this or that but are you wanting to go on strike for this or that.They can only do so much.

Would we make what we make without the UAW or get the benefits we get?

The UAW has failed to organize so much as even 1 foreign automaker and if there is anything going on now that they don't like, the union has nobody to blame but themselves.

The problem is not NAFTA or anything like that but rather unfare competion due to the fact that any automaker outside the US can walk into this country and build an auto plant with a built in cost advantage over domestics.

If these foreign automakers can make the same product cheaper or offer more in thier products for ths same cost as the domestics, then they have a built in cost advantage and can run the domestics out of business. This is just simple economics.

The war with dometics has long been over but the UAW does not realize it. The UAW workers on strike now at American Axle should be told that American Axle and GM are not the enemy.

If the UAW doesn't like what is going on, organize a toyota plant. Going after GM right now is like squeezing water from a rock. They lost 39 billion last year. Take the $14/hr and be happy you have a job or wise up and realize the enemy is not the domestics and organize some foreign plants.

The UAW has failed to organize so much as even 1 foreign automaker and if there is anything going on now that they don't like, the union has nobody to blame but themselves.

The problem is not NAFTA or anything like that but rather unfare competion due to the fact that any automaker outside the US can walk into this country and build an auto plant with a built in cost advantage over domestics.

If these foreign automakers can make the same product cheaper or offer more in thier products for ths same cost as the domestics, then they have a built in cost advantage and can run the domestics out of business. This is just simple economics.

The war with dometics has long been over but the UAW does not realize it. The UAW workers on strike now at American Axle should be told that American Axle and GM are not the enemy.

If the UAW doesn't like what is going on, organize a toyota plant. Going after GM right now is like squeezing water from a rock. They lost 39 billion last year. Take the $14/hr and be happy you have a job or wise up and realize the enemy is not the domestics and organize some foreign plants.

Brilliant....do yourself a favor and stop down at the your union hall and get a flyer that has all the UAW or union made vehicles!! There are some foriegn owned automakers on the list!! :finger:

You are right they ship their vehicles over here and do not have any tariff and in country's overseas, if you buy an american made vehicle the goverment will audit you and investigate you...it isn't worth it in other countries to buy american made products!! Not to mention the tariff that they put on our products!! Unfair trade.... thank you republicans...I know...I know..thank you Clinton, but the way NAFTA is working now isn't the way it was supposed to be introduced and policed. We got screwed. It isn't fair at all. If foriegn gov puts tariff on US cars then we should do the same...wake up america!

Hows everyone like gas prices??? Thanks Bush.....Mr. "I did not know gas prices were going up...I just keep cashing my oil checks"!! I'm buying a bicycle to go to ride to work in!! 13 miles...lol...maybe not!!

Just curious....do you donate to VCAP?

Just curious....do you donate to VCAP?

Hey Capt I do. The one thing that guy got wrong is that NAFTA is down right fucking wrong. Level the playing field but not at the cost of living to a domestic auto worker. Hey The bills arent going down and why should our wages. I read an article a few years back and it was a very small article on the second page of a little shit newspaper that was title turning Chinese. I laughed then but have come to the realization that these SOB's are trying to do just that. I dont want to live in a place that smells like shit and have holes in my shoes. I want what the Union started out to be...A fair wage for a fair days work. Not I want to kill my self or a neck ache every day from the increasing stress on our lifes from this Dumb fuck agreement.

What happened? The compnaies where the UAW represent are shrinking, so the UAW itself is shrinking. Auto buildin is in the private sector so there is competition. In almoest all cases, non-union companies will beat out union ones, I think the only exceptions have been in the service sector, like airlines.. The consumer public, the customer, just does not identify with the people the UAW represents. Customers don't think twice about buying Toyota, Honda, Kia, or any non-UAW car.

The UAW has a huge image problem to the American public. Too many stories of crappy cars, rusty trucks, wife beating drunks keeping their assembly line jobs, nepotism, and 60 year people who won't retire.

That's what has happend to the UAW, image problem

Internally, I have no clue what's wrong with the UAW, except what you all write on this board, 'can't directly vote for President, Local chairman calling superintendent nigger, drunk chairman hangs out a bar all day,' you know, that stuff