Whats the deal with the Explorer?

Why did the Explorer get its own platform to begin with?

To give it IRS, a lower frame, a 3rd row seat option, and to widen it by about 2.5 inches. The changes were made to improve interior space and comfort, ride and handling, and last (although Ford would never say so) to make the vehicle more stable and less likely to tip up in emergency maneuvers.

The Ranger chassis was not ideal for a vehicle as heavy as the Explorer. I cannot understand why the Ranger did not follow to the new chassis other then price or the fact it would be more directly competing against the F-150.

it might mean keeping the old chassis instead of creating a new one. Put the money where people see it.

That should not be hard since the Explorer chassis is the most modern BOF SUV chassis on the market. As long as they keep updating and restyling the vehicle on top of it, the Explorer can continue on for years. As long as gas prices do not go completely nuts I would go back to an Explorer in the future. I am a single 30 year old male, I do not want a pickup, yet I need something that I can do some light off road driving with. Something that will tow my ATV or snowmobile and get me around on rural roads in the winter. I am not sold on CUV's just yet...and is it just me...or is there something just kinda "wimpy" about the current CUV's? I mean honestly I am not the type that needs a big truck as a compensation device...but there is just something about vehicles such as the Highlander, Pilot and Pacifica that screams...I'm a pussy! :hysterical:

Edited by 2005Explorer