Trailer Disconnected Message

2022 F350, I had disc brakes installed on the 5th wheel,  now about 2 seconds after taking my foot off the brake pedal, the trailer disconnected message pops up on the the instrument cluster.  Trailer isnt disconnected as lights, turn signals and brakes still work.  The settings in the truck for the trailer are set to reflect electric over hydraulic....so kinda stumped on what it could be. 

Which EOH actuator/pump do you have? With some, there’s not enough electrical resistance for the truck to recognize it’s still connected. A resister must be installed. I have a BrakeRite II SD system on my boat trailer, I had to install this to make it function properly. Link: EOH Adaptor

The EOH setting in the truck doesn’t help the truck recognize an EOH system, it only changes the programming to cut the gain to ZERO when the truck is not rolling.  This prevents the EOH pump from running continuously when stopped, such as at a traffic light. You can change your setting to “Electric Brakes,” and you’ll probably not see the “Disconnected” message, but your pump will run at times it’s not necessary. 

Edited by The Peddler

I agree, the truck is not sensing the right amount of resistance.  

A similar issue (on a different scale) can happen when LED lights are used to replace incandescent lights.  The computer is programmed to sense the load and resistance of one thing, but when when changed, you need to “trick” it to think it is sensing what it expects.  In both cases, a resistance module needs to be added.

• 1 month later...

I installed the  EOH module, then when I hooked to the 5th wheel to have new tires installed, no brakes at all....the actuator/pump would work.......called the company who installed the disc brakes and did their trouble shooting suggestions, and they said a bad solenoid in the pump and sent a replacement.  I took the 5th wheel and truck to a nearby shop whio builds trailers to have them change it out....long story short, voltage leaving the truck, still wouldnt work, they brought out their tester and the actuator/pump worked like it should.  They installed a Dexter magnet, un hooked the EOH module, and the only way the actuator/pump would work off the truck was to switch it back to electric brakes.

Took the truck to the dealer, and they said it showed codes, on the brake system, cleared them and re programmed it...btw, the first recall I got on the truck was for the trailer braking system.  I havent changed it to elec or hyd and tried it yet....BUT just wondering if plugging in the camper while the truck was running could have caused the error codes from a arc or something.