2017 Ford Explorer Headlight Issue

Someone please tell me I’m not crazy here! I’ve got a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited and within the past month, I noticed that my exterior lights were no longer working according to which setting I had the control knob on. I will explain in as much detail as possible below. Before I go into that though, I wanted to mention that I took my vehicle to a local Ford dealership, and they told me there was no issue and that the lights were working as intended. I swear it’s not right and am hoping to get other opinions to either tell me I am, in fact, crazy, or that there really is an issue here (and what a fix might be if anyone knows).

Here's what’s happening. There are four settings on the exterior light control.

A.      Off (Daytime Running Lights on – DRLs)

B.      Parking Lamps

C.      Headlamps

D.     Auto Lamps

From the owner’s manual:

image.thumb.png.04c4763f2842c31beb3078d81b0ab47e.png

image.thumb.png.453283d1ee89c44f2d426c03aeecf3de.png

image.thumb.png.932c908255867c28b2f57daa36af7421.png

Note: I have the Conventional (Non-Configurable) DRLs

When I have the vehicle in Park (P), all 4 settings work as intended. However, once I put the vehicle into any gear (Reverse, Neutral, Drive), both the Daytime Running Lamps and Headlamps are always on regardless of the control setting. This is the part that I don’t believe is correct, as the Headlamps specifically should only come on if I have the control set to either “C” – Headlamps, or “D” – Auto lamps (AND it is dark enough for the lamps to turn on). Otherwise, only the Daytime Running Lights should be on. And I know they used to work this way, up until about a month ago.

Here are pictures of what I just described:

1.      Vehicle is in Park (P) and the setting is on either “A”, “B”, or “D” (and it is light enough for no Headlamps):

image.thumb.png.560d07248cbc2fbb0988bdc5adf48f98.png

image.thumb.png.8fd39860b21c9f92e6b070486863af53.png

2.      Vehicle is in any gear (Reverse, Neutral, Drive) and the exterior light control is on any setting (including “A” - Off). Both DRLs and Headlamps are always on:

image.thumb.png.b0153dbde5d994a3a76c9a5bb842c5a3.png

Hopefully that all makes sense. If there are questions or clarification needed, please let me know. I’m planning to try and take it to a different Ford dealership for a second opinion, but I wanted to also see if anyone else has experienced this or knew of what the issue might be. I know it’s a minor issue, but I like my vehicles to work correctly. But if I am really going crazy, please let me know, ha!

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

DRL are the headlights, not the accent lights.  They just use a lower intensity.

Thank you. That does make sense. My follow-up question would be, why do they stay on though when I switch the exterior light control to off?