AX4 Transmission: How bad is it really?

dsnider8818

Im currently in the market for a new (used) car and have my eye on a '00 Lincoln Continental. It only has 55k miles on it and looks like it has been very well taken care of. The thing that worries me about it though is all of the internet chatter about how unreliable the AX4 transmission is, but Im wondering if this is just a case of poor upkeep and only the people who have problems are the ones who speak up. What is everyone's experiences with these transmissions (good or bad)? Should I avoid the Continental altogether and buy another Crown Vic?

56 minutes ago, dsnider8818 said:

Im currently in the market for a new (used) car and have my eye on a '00 Lincoln Continental. It only has 55k miles on it and looks like it has been very well taken care of. The thing that worries me about it though is all of the internet chatter about how unreliable the AX4 transmission is, but Im wondering if this is just a case of poor upkeep and only the people who have problems are the ones who speak up. What is everyone's experiences with these transmissions (good or bad)? Should I avoid the Continental altogether and buy another Crown Vic?

I can't answer your specific question. However, if you give the VIN number to a Ford or Lincoln Dealer, they should be able to run the OASIS report which will provide the service history for the vehicle. 

8 hours ago, dsnider8818 said:

From my time in the Taurus Club it really was hit or miss on the AX4N.  However the AX4N was far better than the AX4S which had a higher failure rate.  AX4N you have to be pretty strict with the servicing.  I had a 99 Sable with the AX4N and it went 140k miles without it needing to be replaced.  I was a dumb kid who drove it hard too when my mom passed it on to my as my first car with about 75k miles.  I traded it in for an LS but when I did it still ran great.  Continentals have a V8 with far more power and torque than the Duratec V6 I had in mine which was rated at 200/200.  Continentals of that era are 275/275.  AFIAK the FWD version of the 4.6 is pretty solid.  One thing you will have to look out for is the air suspension.  Me personally, I would keep it on air since it will ride worlds better but I know a lot of them have been converted to coils so they would no longer have to fix the air bags if they went bad.

I have known a few people who had those Continentals and really liked them, they are FWD though so if you are hell bent on how a Crown Vic drives it may feel different to you and you may not like it.  I would say give it a test drive and see if you like it and keep those things in mind.  I am sure others who have owned one can chime in on anything else.