2023 F250 Reg

First diesel and still learning the truck but love it so far. Slight anxiety about the regeneration and DEF until I truly figure it out….hoping for some helpful info. 
Diesel Maintenance shows the following pic. 
Trying to understand the regen exhaust filter percentage and DEF percentage numbers on when there needs to be a refill or regen cycle. Also, I was told DEF usually gets refilled at oil change time around 7500 miles. 
thanks in advance!

ben

IMG_9496.jpeg

18 hours ago, StunandSllab said:

First diesel and still learning the truck but love it so far. Slight anxiety about the regeneration and DEF until I truly figure it out….hoping for some helpful info. 
Diesel Maintenance shows the following pic. 
Trying to understand the regen exhaust filter percentage and DEF percentage numbers on when there needs to be a refill or regen cycle. Also, I was told DEF usually gets refilled at oil change time around 7500 miles. 
thanks in advance!

ben

The regen is automatic, and so far I haven't needed to figure out how to try and force one. It just happens; if you stop at a red light while its happening you'll definitely know if your nose works at all. I'll stop, get a wiff of something dark and acrid, and go to this screen you pasted and I can watch the exhaust filter % drop by 5's until it's at 0. 

As for the DEF, I doubt you'll make it to 7500 before needing a refill, or at least getting a warning. You'll definitely know when it's time to refill -- you get a pop-up and idiot light when you have 500 estimated miles remaining. I was at 2380 miles when I needed my first DEF refill (and I had around 25% or less remaining, the truck was giving me warnings every 20 miles or so). It cost me $24 for 6 gallons at a truck stop for that first fill up. I tow over a mountain pass though and my understanding is DEF usage depends on how strenuously the engine is working.

1 hour ago, Mylriahd said:

The regen is automatic, and so far I haven't needed to figure out how to try and force one. It just happens; if you stop at a red light while its happening you'll definitely know if your nose works at all. I'll stop, get a wiff of something dark and acrid, and go to this screen you pasted and I can watch the exhaust filter % drop by 5's until it's at 0. 

As for the DEF, I doubt you'll make it to 7500 before needing a refill, or at least getting a warning. You'll definitely know when it's time to refill -- you get a pop-up and idiot light when you have 500 estimated miles remaining. I was at 2380 miles when I needed my first DEF refill (and I had around 25% or less remaining, the truck was giving me warnings every 20 miles or so). It cost me $24 for 6 gallons at a truck stop for that first fill up. I tow over a mountain pass though and my understanding is DEF usage depends on how strenuously the engine is working.

Great input. I appreciate it!

9 hours ago, StunandSllab said:

Great input. I appreciate it!

I really like the diesel as I am now back to a 2023 F250 with a 6.7l with the last truck being a 3.5l ecoboost. 

No way you get to 7500 for the DEF. I just left the house at 2000km with 60% DEF and pulling a trailer through the mountains I starting getting low DEF messages at 40%. If I have a complaint it’s the repetitive low DEF messages that are nit only at truck starts but during the drive. I refilled the DEF just to get the message to disappear. My 2018 F350 with the same 6.7l diesel didn’t have messages.

On 4/19/2024 at 7:44 PM, PGB999 said:

If I have a complaint it’s the repetitive low DEF messages that are nit only at truck starts but during the drive. I refilled the DEF just to get the message to disappear. My 2018 F350 with the same 6.7l diesel didn’t have messages.

Agreed -- I was getting them about every 25 miles. It was almost comical, because they started at around 500 miles estimated but I had 200 miles left in the fuel tank and was going to fill at the next truck stop, so this went on for quite a ways. Now that I know the truck gets itchy when it doesn't get its fix I'll just stop at the next truck stop rather than drag it out when I get the initial message.