MKX 20" rims

Edgey

OK, so I'm trying to order a MKX and I see that there is nothing in the brochure or website about the 20" chrome rims that the car had originally been showcased in. They are on the Navigator and Mark LT, but they have vanished from the MKX. What happened?

Lincoln-MKX2.jpg

I must be getting old! ;)

I'm not sure those were 20" rims actually, but they have the same design of the 20" rims on the Navigator and Mark LT. The rims ultimately put on the production MKX are all 18" and not as attractive. They will do, but they are as weak as the ones put on the MKZ. The rims on the MKZ are just awful! They are almost as bad as GM rims! It's a well known fact that GM is incapable of designing attractive wheels ;).

Edited by Edgey

I must be getting old! ;)

I'm not sure those were 20" rims actually, but they have the same design of the 20" rims on the Navigator and Mark LT. The rims ultimately put on the production MKX are all 18" and not as attractive. They will do, but they are as weak as the ones put on the MKZ. The rims on the MKZ are just awful! They are almost as bad as GM rims! It's a well known fact that GM is incapable of designing attractive wheels ;).

When I did my temp stint at the pilot plant I got to sit in one of the test production MKX. It had 18" pirellies and rims just like the 20" Mark LT. That may have been why you thought they were 20". I thought so to until I looked at them up close.

There's an article from the Free Press that the 20" wheels won't be available on the Edge until M/Y 2008 - I'm guessing that applies to the MKX as well. It doesn't say why they're not available. I'd guess supplier issues, perhaps the lack of a suitable 20" tire?

I can't find the article on freep.com, it was published 20-OCT-2006, by Sarah A. Webster. I found it at accessmylibrary.com - which is a registration website.

Scott