My (realistic) Lincoln

Hello everybody, even though this topic has been done to death I feel the need to add in my two cents. First I would like to establish the fact that "my Lincoln" is based on reality, not on bringing in 6000hp V24 engines mated to $300,000 supercars and rwd land yachts that so many on autosites seem to clamor for. "My Lincoln" needs to make sense in the current and near-future marketplace as well as be feasible for the Ford of today and the next 3 years to produce. My second objective is to try to end two complaints about Lincoln's current strategey that I think are rediculous. Third, I will present my feasible Lincoln lineup.

The Two Debates.

"Lincoln going downmarket will destroy the brand and makes Mercury redundant"

This is plain hogwash (yes, a 22 year old can use that term). The MKZ and MKX are not "downmarket" they are in the heart of the luxury segment. Lexus, Acura, BMW, and others pay the bills on $30,000-35,000 sedans, CUVs, SUVs, etc. Lincoln must compete in the segment just based on that, plus this price range brings in buyers new to the luxury field. So far, the Zephyr/MKZ seems to be doing just that. As for the Mercury question, where are you people living, 1964? All of the major luxury brands have captured the the $30,000-40,000 bracket that used to be filled by Buick, Mercury, etc (and I know that ferraris cost $16,000 or so in that era, give me a break, you know what I mean). What must happen is that Mercury should play in a similar price bracket as Ford but with a different spirit. Think Ford as "gung-ho" and Mercury more quiet elegance, similar to the Fusion/Milan approach.

"The FWD/AWD strategey is stupid and is doomed to failure"

Setting aside cost issues that led to Lincoln adopting FWD/AWD strategey, I think this could be a good move. Everyone screams for carmakers to make unique cars but then buy BMW 3 series clones (in substance not neccessarily style) in droves. The AWD strategey could set Lincoln apart, in a good way. Most young car guys don't care that much about the RWD/FWD debate as long as the car is good. These young buyers start out buying the TL's, ES's and MKZ's of the world, bringing them up to a more expensive AWD lux car would make complete sense. Using AWD as a banner makes Lincoln look like it is up-to-date on technology, both in the safety and sport department since many buyers equate the technology with those attributes, both good things to have mentioned with your brand.

MY Lincoln Lineup.

MKZ: I like what Lincoln did with this thing, keep it going. The brand needs an entry FWD/AWD car to compete with TL and ES and others. For the next redesign, give it completely unique sheetmetal (even though I really like the current design) and possibly a manual trans. Keep it based on the CD3 or its heir platform as the strategy works for Lexus and Acura. When its ready, put in the 3.7 V6 making between 280-290 hp and the thing will be a rocket.

MKS: I like the looks of the concept (except the rear, it should get tail lamps from the Zephyr concept). Give it a standard 3.7V6 -280-290 hp with a V8, making at least 350 hp. The key to this car is to make the interior top notch in materials and styling. This car will compete with the 5,E, A6, STS, etc of the world. Make AWD std of course. Make sure there are almost no options on it, give it std features galore.

MKC: The true flagship competing with the 7,S,LS,Q's of the world. Stretch the MKS a little, give it a softer ride and make it the quietest thing on the road. Give it a std V8 with maybe a turbo bolted on for the higher trims. This car should look like an updated Continental concept car, of course with the MKS style grill.

MK9: Base it on the mustang, but add in the tech, IRS etc, and maybe an AWD option. Make it a hard-top convertable with powerful and refined v8s. Lincoln needs a flashy halo car and continuing the Mark series cars makes too much sense. Make it a 4 seater (but not too big) to broaden its appeal.

MKX: Like the MKZ I think Lincoln did a good job on this. Add the 3.7V6 when its ready, maybe a hybrid option, and give it unique sheetmetal next time around.

MKD: A brother of the Fairlane to give Lincoln a large 3 row CUV. Give it more fluid and gracefull styling than the "techy" Farilane with unique sheetmetal etc. Give it the 3.7 v6 and the MKS's V8.

Navigator: Keep on trucking, except improve the engine, fuel economy, and the front end (I like it okay but many don't).

MKLT: Lincoln needs a truck, its what people want, but of course give it unique front styling and interior from the next Navigator or somthing to distinguish it, plus give it some cool tech.

MKR: This is the extra goody car that Lincoln should get if it behaves itself. Base it on the next gen mustang platform and price and size it between the MKZ and MKS. Make it like an inexpensie CLS, a sporty and swoopy sedan with RWD and v8 engines. THis allows the MKZ and MKS to be more refined and quiet. Give it radical styling and great handling.

Anyway, hope you guys like my ideas. I know I didn't add any supercars or land yachts but I hope you let this Ford fan off the hook.

many good thoughts and very valid....I just don't see them doing the higher end 7 series competitor but the rest besides the mkr would all be a step in the right direction.

the problem that they have had with the marquee is it has been mismanaged for what seems like 20 years. I am beginning to question the value of mercury if they were given a strong lincoln lineup.

as products are introduced it is imperative that the retail outlets are improved and very quickly. one of the attraction of the imports are that their facilty are much more elegant obviously having the advantage of that most of these points are brand new

btw you did not mention the lincoln town car...

AWD in luxos is fine. AUDI has it (watch the A-8 in Ronin), and it's a common feature on E and S class Mercedes and other models. BMW offers it on some models, too, so Haldex AWD Lincolns could be legitimate.

It is critical that the S have enough power. No more excuses.

I would like to see the Z as AWD-only. Optional on Fords and Mercuries, standard on Lincoln Z's. If you can't afford the extra cost, or if the difference is unimportant, buy something else, like a full-load FWD Milan.

With the advent of the next RWD "full-size" GM sleds, work on a successor to the Panther becomes much more interesting. Now, if only the designers could do a livery-oriented TC with SRA and a seperate-body 4-door MK 9 with IRS.

How profitable is the police/livery business? The next-gen RWD GM sleds could really bite into this.