Tried to buy a Ranger

Eel

I am a loyal reader on this site, but seldom make comments. First, I am a Ford fan. My first car was a Ford and my next to last was a Mustang GT. I decided to sell my old truck (S-10) and trade my '03 GT and just go to a pickup. I was pretty much determined to get a Ranger. My wife, in casual conversation, mentioned that she had recently seen some good looking Nissan Frontiers. I generally like the Frontiers, but had not really considered one until that time.

I shopped online and in person. I built a Ranger and submitted it for a price to local dealers. I was not too happy with the trade-in that two local Ford dealers offered. There is a third Ford dealer that I did not contact due to their non-competitive bid for my trade back in '03 when I bought the GT.

Since the Ford dealers were not willing to trade at what I considered a fair exchange, I went to the local Nissan dealer and tried a Frontier. Bottom line is that it was much more truck for very little more money and the dealer offered me $2300 more for the Gt than the best a Ford dealer could do. The Frontier has a 265 hp 4.0 V-6 and is very well optioned. It was much quicker than the Ranger and seemed to be sturdier.

I think Ford has to try as soon as financially possible to upgrade several of it's vehicles and encourage the dealers to become competitive. Ford makes some fine vehicles, but in the category I was shopping, they are just not quite there yet.

It's because they're too busy protecting F150 sales :rolleyes:

Which brings up a question - since there are so many that insist Ford has neglected the Ranger in an effort to protect the F150, I'm just wondering - did you ever consider an F150 when shopping for a Ranger?

Edited by JWâ„¢

It's because they're too busy protecting F150 sales :rolleyes:

Which brings up a question - since there are so many that insist Ford has neglected the Ranger in an effort to protect the F150, I'm just wondering - did you ever consider an F150 when shopping for a Ranger?

I did not seriously consider an F series due to the size and price difference. I have limited space for my vehicles at this time. If I were looking at a full-size pickup, which I may in a few years, the F-150 would be at the top of my shopping list.

I am a loyal reader on this site, but seldom make comments. First, I am a Ford fan. My first car was a Ford and my next to last was a Mustang GT. I decided to sell my old truck (S-10) and trade my '03 GT and just go to a pickup. I was pretty much determined to get a Ranger. My wife, in casual conversation, mentioned that she had recently seen some good looking Nissan Frontiers. I generally like the Frontiers, but had not really considered one until that time.

I shopped online and in person. I built a Ranger and submitted it for a price to local dealers. I was not too happy with the trade-in that two local Ford dealers offered. There is a third Ford dealer that I did not contact due to their non-competitive bid for my trade back in '03 when I bought the GT.

Since the Ford dealers were not willing to trade at what I considered a fair exchange, I went to the local Nissan dealer and tried a Frontier. Bottom line is that it was much more truck for very little more money and the dealer offered me $2300 more for the Gt than the best a Ford dealer could do. The Frontier has a 265 hp 4.0 V-6 and is very well optioned. It was much quicker than the Ranger and seemed to be sturdier.

I think Ford has to try as soon as financially possible to upgrade several of it's vehicles and encourage the dealers to become competitive. Ford makes some fine vehicles, but in the category I was shopping, they are just not quite there yet.

I have an '02 Ranger. It's sturdy, great mileage (best in its class). No problems. Rangers rank as the highest quality trucks, no matter what size. I know someone who rolled his. It's still on the road! Rangers may not be the flashiest, newest, but they're dependable.

I have an '02 Ranger. It's sturdy, great mileage (best in its class). No problems. Rangers rank as the highest quality trucks, no matter what size. I know someone who rolled his. It's still on the road! Rangers may not be the flashiest, newest, but they're dependable.

You will not get me to say that the Ranger is not a great little truck. I know too many people that own them and like them. A good friend of mine that works with the state highway dept. says that the Rangers outlast all the Chevys and Dodges. My point was that the Ford dealers would not deal with me for my mint Mustang the way the Nissan dealer would. It seems the Nissan dealer appreciated my car more than any Ford dealer I talked with.

Also, after driving the two trucks, the Frontier was just more for the money. The Ranger I drove did have something strange about it I thought. During the test drive, I parked it at another dealer and looked over their trucks. I, and the friend with me, noticed from a distance of about 30 feet that the driver's side suicide door did not match the rest of the truck. It was a shade darker. The truck was Redfire metallic. It did not show any signs of repair, though that is a possibility. However, the paint was definitely defective.

Anyway, had the deal been right, I would have probably had a new Ranger sitting in the garage rather than the Frontier.

Congratulations on your new purchase. You have quite the interesting story to tell of your choices. Like the others, I'm curious as well. Did you ever consider the Explorer Sport Trac? Why or Why not?

What cab configuration did you end up with on the Frontier?

I'm an advocate of the Ranger being redesigned (to include a crew cab version as well), but can certainly understand your willingness to get the Frontier after the dealer's non-competative offer. The Ranger is a dependable truck, but it HAS been a dependable truck. Not to mention a loyal following to boot. After all you're spending your hard earned money on a new vehicle, sounds to me like you got your money's worth in the Frontier...Rather than a '06 Ranger which is essentially a '98. When I was getting a new car, I received a non-competative offer as well from the Ford dealer and gladly took my business elsewhere and got more money for my truck. Contrary to popular belief, or at least the Ford dealer, I am not independently wealthy enough to choose to lose money on a vehicle.

Enjoy your new truck.

I have tried twice to respond to Max, but my Internet service has been unreliable the last couple days. First, I did not consider a Sport Trac, as I wanted a longer bed. We will consider it when my wife trades in her car in a year or so. I think the Sport Trac would make a great replacement for a traditional sedan.

My Frontier is white, LE King Cab.

That's pretty expensive for Frontier.

I got mine brand new F-150 SuperCab 4x4 with 4.6L for $21,000.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I really did not want a full size truck right now due to limited parking space. So, I just compared the Frontier to the Ranger. I could have got the Ranger for a little less equipped similarly to the Frontier, but not a substantial savings. At the time the Frontier just seemed like a lot more truck than the Ranger for not much more cash. Only time will tell if the Frontier is as good as a Ranger would have been. I really doubt if it will be as trouble free, but I probably won't have it much beyond warranty period.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have tried twice to respond to Max, but my Internet service has been unreliable the last couple days. First, I did not consider a Sport Trac, as I wanted a longer bed. We will consider it when my wife trades in her car in a year or so. I think the Sport Trac would make a great replacement for a traditional sedan.

My Frontier is white, LE King Cab.

Well its been 2 yrs now, how is your frontier and did you get a sport trac yet? Since your wifes car needed to be replaced...

Well its been 2 yrs now, how is your frontier and did you get a sport trac yet? Since your wifes car needed to be replaced...

The Frontier has proven to be pretty good. Only problems so far are the serpetine belt had to be replaced and there was a recall on the door locks or latches, all under warranty. Gas mileage is 14-16 in town, 22.5 on the highway. Highway driving is usually 5-10 mph over the posted limit if traffic allows. The best I ever achieved was 23.5 mpg. It is rated at 20 mpg highway, so I am satisfied with that.

The wife still has her car and seems not to want to trade. That is fine with me. If she were to trade now, I think we would probably be looking at a very small and frugal car, not another truck. Time and high gas prices have changed our probable list of vehicles. I suspect that is one reason she is not in any hurry, she dreads the size car we will be driving next time. Since this one has been paid off for a long time, it is cheaper than a new smaller car would be to own.

Unless the supply of oil is increased domestically, it will be getting more expensive as time goes on.

The Frontier has proven to be pretty good. Only problems so far are the serpetine belt had to be replaced and there was a recall on the door locks or latches, all under warranty. Gas mileage is 14-16 in town, 22.5 on the highway. Highway driving is usually 5-10 mph over the posted limit if traffic allows. The best I ever achieved was 23.5 mpg. It is rated at 20 mpg highway, so I am satisfied with that.

The wife still has her car and seems not to want to trade. That is fine with me. If she were to trade now, I think we would probably be looking at a very small and frugal car, not another truck. Time and high gas prices have changed our probable list of vehicles. I suspect that is one reason she is not in any hurry, she dreads the size car we will be driving next time. Since this one has been paid off for a long time, it is cheaper than a new smaller car would be to own.

Unless the supply of oil is increased domestically, it will be getting more expensive as time goes on.

When the time comes, will you be interested in a Focus or Fusion?

When the time comes, will you be interested in a Focus or Fusion?

I think either one of those would be considered. By the time she wants to trade, both will probably get even better mileage. Funny thing what a difference a year can make. A year ago, I would not have considered anything in a Fusion except the V-6, now I would want a 4 cylinder.

I think either one of those would be considered. By the time she wants to trade, both will probably get even better mileage. Funny thing what a difference a year can make. A year ago, I would not have considered anything in a Fusion except the V-6, now I would want a 4 cylinder.

What kind of car is your wife driving now? 4 or 6 cylinder? MPG?

What kind of car is your wife driving now? 4 or 6 cylinder? MPG?

She has a 4 cylinder Altima. Gets 29-31 highway. Never checked it around town, but it should get low 20's, I guess. But, given the gas prices nowadays, those figures need to go to 35-40 highway and mid 20's city.

She likes the large interior of the Altima, it has comfortable seats and has been a pretty decent car. It still looks good for an '02 model. She can afford gas for a car that is already paid for that gets the mileage of the Altima, but to have a car payment and high gas prices would not be good.

One good thing is that she only drives to work four days a week and it is only about a 10 minute drive.

She has a 4 cylinder Altima. Gets 29-31 highway. Never checked it around town, but it should get low 20's, I guess. But, given the gas prices nowadays, those figures need to go to 35-40 highway and mid 20's city.

She likes the large interior of the Altima, it has comfortable seats and has been a pretty decent car. It still looks good for an '02 model. She can afford gas for a car that is already paid for that gets the mileage of the Altima, but to have a car payment and high gas prices would not be good.

One good thing is that she only drives to work four days a week and it is only about a 10 minute drive.

Mercury Milan