proud owner has a question

CoxSystems

Okay,

First off let me say that I am the proud owner of an 87 5.0 notchback. its got some miles on it and the body shows signs of its age and all. However I have a few questions.

I've been wanting to do a resto to this car but only have gotten around to actually planning it now.

First, Should I get the new boss 5.0 engine that is coming out for it as an engine swap for it? I would like to put another 5.0 liter engine in it with some decent horsepower (nothing crazy... maybe 300-500 Horsepower) yet try and keep it with the sleeper look. What would you all recommend?

Second, IF I do end up getting the boss engine, is there a 6 speed trans that would bolt up to it?

I want to put this car back to show room condition and I plan to pass it down in my family.

The reason why I got the car is I needed a new car, and since my mother had recently passed away, I needed something that would make me feel youthful again.. so, with part of the check I got from my mothers life insurance I got the car.. in a sense this is the last gift my mother will give me and I want it in pristine condition.

Comments would be appreciated

thanks,

Sean

Your cheapest option would be to just build up the 302 you have in it now. Probably needs a rebuilt bottom end by now if you're looking to put out 300+ horsepower...new rings and seals at the very least. It would certainly be much cheaper than buying a crate motor though. I'd go with some forged pistons at the very least (I think 87's may have already had them stock) and squeeze a little nitrous in there. With proper tuning you should be able to creep past the 300 HP mark pretty easily.

As for 6 speed, I'm pretty sure you can mate the T-56 to the 302 with the proper bellhousing.

I made over 300hp on my '85 easy with just a cam, headers & exhaust (timing was for 93 octane). I wouldn't touch the bottom end unless you know it to be suspect. Also, your '87 has forged dish-top pistons with the E7TE heads, which had bigger valves & exhaust ports. Great stock motor to start upgrading.

:ohsnap: thanks! I'd love to keep the original engine, I just didnt know if it would be worth it since it had 300K + on it. I mean hell I figured that since the muscle car wars have returned, I'd beef up my little 5.0 just a little bit... make it just a little sporty yet drivable still) I'm also thinking of repainting it either white with a diamond pearl gloss, or the 07 Dark GT blue

I made over 300hp on my '85 easy with just a cam, headers & exhaust (timing was for 93 octane). I wouldn't touch the bottom end unless you know it to be suspect. Also, your '87 has forged dish-top pistons with the E7TE heads, which had bigger valves & exhaust ports. Great stock motor to start upgrading.

I've heard of people getting super chargers and putting smaller pulley's on for more boost. which would you recommend?

I've heard of people getting super chargers and putting smaller pulley's on for more boost. which would you recommend?

A blower with some mild boost (6-8 psi) should work well on a stock-bottom-end 302 with forged pistons, however, I'd have to stress again getting the bottom end looked at before you start looking for huge numbers though. 300K is a lot of miles.